Buying Advice Needed please.

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2004, 11:58 AM
tdkmillsy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Advice Needed please.

Hello

Looking for some advice on buying an impreza.

My scenario is in about 12-18 months time I will be expecting delivery of our first child (just got married ). I have always wanted an impreza and the wife has agreeded I can get one during this period and then look at changing it when kids arrive. The thing is I am not very clued up on the extra mods you can get for the impreza and dont know whether to buy private or trade. My priorities are.

1) A sound blue impreza that will last the 12-18 months without any high costs, dont mind the services needed to keep it sweet just dont want to be paying for a new engine in this time.
2) Low enough mileage so that when I come to sell it, it shouldnt cause a problem. Not sure what is a bad mileage to sell an impreza. I am thinking if I get it less than 60000 miles then selling it with low 70000 should be ok.
3) A good price to get good return when I sell it in 18 months.
4) Good condition car, want the old shape though.

I have done some research both on this site and in autotrader and I believe I have the following options.

1) buy one at 5-6000 either private or from a garrage and run the risk of it being a bit old (n-p reg) and hope it is ok.
2) Buy one around 10k from a garrage. Looks like I can get a T reg blue impreza with around 60k on the clock. Seen one with ppp but worried it been ragged a bit. Seen one without and supposedly a woman owner last.
3) spend less on the same car from a garrage from someone private. Or pay the same money for more car. Either newer car or one with these fancy mods. Buying private from mostly this forum.

My quesitons are.

1) What should I go for
a) Trade Impreza and get the warranty, try and get warranty for 2 years but pay lots for it.
b) Buy a newish (but old shape) plain car from private (either autotrader or forum) with no mods but good mileage.
c) Buy one of these modified cars hopefully of someone who knows what mods to put on it. Usually with lower miles.

secondary questions are

1) If I buy a car with these fancy mods on it, doesnt that run a higher risk of engine failure due to engine working harder. If so how much of a risk is it.
2) Worst case an engine blew up what would it cost to fix.
3) On the whole are they reliable.
4) Am I right in thinking the more things you do to the car the more can go wrong and the more it can cost getting it fixed in a garrage copared to a car with no mods.

I have enquired on some really nice cars but they all have mods on and I am struggeling what to do. Seen a plain one in a local garrage but he wants lots for it.

sorry for all the questions but I have never bought a car like this before.

thank you for any help

Ian
Old 10 August 2004, 12:19 PM
gavnnik
Scooby Regular

There is no guarantee that an um-modded car has always been that way.

A lot of people return cars to standard before selling them.

Sorry - another thing for you to worry about!
Old 10 August 2004, 12:37 PM
JDM
BANNED

If I was in your situation I'd go for an older car, if you can find a good one (perhaps from www.SIDC.co.uk or on here) owned by an enthusiast who has been on the BBS for a while you'll cut down on the chances of getting a bad one.
I'd also advise you get a UK car rather than an import, just because the backup is better, parts are generally cheaper and you don't have to worry about using octane booster all the time.
You don't say if you want a saloon or the more practical 5 door wagon.
If you end up with an older car look at the scoobyecu for more power at a very cheap price (about £100 last time I looked).
Old 10 August 2004, 01:11 PM
tdkmillsy
Scooby Newbie

Thank you very much, will look in to them.

Anyone else have an opinion please.

Ian
Old 10 August 2004, 01:42 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ian
I know that you were considering a car that was previously owned by me. If you are still interested, consider this - When I sold the car I gave the new owner every detail of its history, all the mods, servicing details, reciepts for everything etc. I also gave him all the original parts - exhaust, ECU, plugs, boost controller etc I have also kept in contact with him over the past year! If I wasn't confident in the car that I sold him there is no way I would have willingly done all that?
Obviously I cannot comment about the car since it left me, although the current owner has taken my advice and recommendations regarding servicing and what to feed it etc.
I doubt very much wether you will find another example with this level of back-up information? and like I said, I'm a phone call away! (No, I'm not on a commission here!)
At the end of the day, it is your choice. Maybe you shouldn't consider it after all - you may not want to part with it when the time comes
JohnD
Old 10 August 2004, 02:04 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

My scenario is in about 12-18 months time I will be expecting delivery of our first child (just got married ). I have always wanted an impreza and the wife has agreeded I can get one during this period and then look at changing it when kids arrive. The thing is I am not very clued up on the extra mods you can get for the impreza and dont know whether to buy private or trade. My priorities are.
Your main concern aside from running costs should be residual value since you freely admit to only intending keeping it for 12-18 months.

1) A sound blue impreza that will last the 12-18 months without any high costs, dont mind the services needed to keep it sweet just dont want to be paying for a new engine in this time.
Why blue? You are seriously restricting your options by being set on one colour.
Unfortunately, engines can go at ANY mileage, regardless of being religiously serviced. $hit happens

2) Low enough mileage so that when I come to sell it, it shouldnt cause a problem. Not sure what is a bad mileage to sell an impreza. I am thinking if I get it less than 60000 miles then selling it with low 70000 should be ok.
Your point about mileage is sensible, since a higher mileage car is generally harder to sell on.

Old shape, again, fairly sensible since they have had their big depreciation hit and prices have levelled off.

I have done some research both on this site and in autotrader and I believe I have the following options.

1) buy one at 5-6000 either private or from a garrage and run the risk of it being a bit old (n-p reg) and hope it is ok.
You could get lucky, but the risk of having to spend big, is increased due to the age of the car.
2) Buy one around 10k from a garrage. Looks like I can get a T reg blue impreza with around 60k on the clock. Seen one with ppp but worried it been ragged a bit. Seen one without and supposedly a woman owner last.
You may get a warranty from garage, which is good.
Don't be put off by PPP, it totally transforms the car. Also, do you think that non-PPP cars do not get thrashed?

3) spend less on the same car from a garrage from someone private. Or pay the same money for more car. Either newer car or one with these fancy mods. Buying private from mostly this forum.
You'll almost definitely get a good car by buying from here or SIDC since it will have been owned by an enthusiast.

1) If I buy a car with these fancy mods on it, doesnt that run a higher risk of engine failure due to engine working harder. If so how much of a risk is it.
Depends whats been done and who did it
can cost well into 4 figures easily, or else you could get a lumo from a breakers for a bit less
Like most cars, if serviced regularily and treat with respect, then yes.
4) Am I right in thinking the more things you do to the car the more can go wrong and the more it can cost getting it fixed in a garrage copared to a car with no mods.
Unlikely that mods will make the cost of repairs any dearer

I have enquired on some really nice cars but they all have mods on and I am struggeling what to do. Seen a plain one in a local garrage but he wants lots for it.

thank you for any help

Ian
Old 10 August 2004, 02:06 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Or you could just buy this and all your problems would be solved....

Clicky

Old 10 August 2004, 02:10 PM
tdkmillsy
Scooby Newbie

I am still thinking about it. Hoping to get this misses in one tonight (couldnt over weekend as the dealer got a bit funny). The worry is its had so much done to it that if it does break it will cost me a lot more to get it fixed. Also I dont really know enough to feel comfortable. For example what I have to do to get it through its mot (swapping the ecu thingy). I have no doubt its a nice car and I do really want it. The other thing is its 260 miles from my house to there. Could I get it checked (RAC/AA) with all the mods. I do plan on phoning if the misses likes it. Also what happens in 18 months when I want sell it or possibly part ex it for family car.

I do have a good feeling thanks to yourself and the guy selling the car, I am just thinking its a bit much for me.

I hope I have made sence and really appreciate all you have said.

thanks

Ian

Originally Posted by JohnD
Ian
I know that you were considering a car that was previously owned by me. If you are still interested, consider this - When I sold the car I gave the new owner every detail of its history, all the mods, servicing details, reciepts for everything etc. I also gave him all the original parts - exhaust, ECU, plugs, boost controller etc I have also kept in contact with him over the past year! If I wasn't confident in the car that I sold him there is no way I would have willingly done all that?
Obviously I cannot comment about the car since it left me, although the current owner has taken my advice and recommendations regarding servicing and what to feed it etc.
I doubt very much wether you will find another example with this level of back-up information? and like I said, I'm a phone call away! (No, I'm not on a commission here!)
At the end of the day, it is your choice. Maybe you shouldn't consider it after all - you may not want to part with it when the time comes
JohnD

Last edited by tdkmillsy; 10 August 2004 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling mystake :)
Old 10 August 2004, 02:19 PM
gavnnik
Scooby Regular

Have you thought of a half-way house.

I bought a Subaru Forester as both a practical vehicle and family estate. OK it's a little heavy on juice but then I'm a little heavy with the right foot.

I get to have most of the fun of an Impreza but for less insurance and I'm not afraid anyone is going to nick it.

On the negative side I wish I had bought a Impreza Wagon but at the time the boot was too small (we have our second on the way). Residuals seem to be better on Foresters than Impreza's as well.
Old 10 August 2004, 02:23 PM
tdkmillsy
Scooby Newbie

Big thanks for all your comments.

Only wanted blue cos I thought if I was gunna get one might as well be exactly what I want. Will settle for silver though I suppose.

thanks again

Ian

Originally Posted by talizman
Your main concern aside from running costs should be residual value since you freely admit to only intending keeping it for 12-18 months.

Why blue? You are seriously restricting your options by being set on one colour.
Unfortunately, engines can go at ANY mileage, regardless of being religiously serviced. $hit happens
Your point about mileage is sensible, since a higher mileage car is generally harder to sell on.

Old shape, again, fairly sensible since they have had their big depreciation hit and prices have levelled off.

You could get lucky, but the risk of having to spend big, is increased due to the age of the car.
You may get a warranty from garage, which is good.
Don't be put off by PPP, it totally transforms the car. Also, do you think that non-PPP cars do not get thrashed?
You'll almost definitely get a good car by buying from here or SIDC since it will have been owned by an enthusiast.

Depends whats been done and who did it
can cost well into 4 figures easily, or else you could get a lumo from a breakers for a bit less
Like most cars, if serviced regularily and treat with respect, then yes.
Unlikely that mods will make the cost of repairs any dearer

thank you for any help

Ian
Old 10 August 2004, 07:31 PM
tdkmillsy
Scooby Newbie

Any other thoughts on this please.

thanks

Ian
Old 10 August 2004, 07:39 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Don't think that a car with a woman owner hasn't been thrashed, i can think of a few girl racers with no mechanical sympathy what so ever.
Old 10 August 2004, 08:17 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Get a wagon and if/when a sprog pops out, dig your heals in and keep it. Work like mad to get it paid off ASAP so you can use the negative equity arguement. A wagon will make perfect family transport, honest . Isofix baby seat mounts, roof rails for them box thingy's or a cycle rack, loads of boot space. Perfect, especially with a PPP Make a stand for mankind. She can have a kid, but you're having, and keeping a Scoob or the deal's off
Old 10 August 2004, 08:36 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

corradoboy
Spoken like a true "bloke"
johnD
Old 10 August 2004, 08:42 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tdkmillsy
Big thanks for all your comments.

Only wanted blue cos I thought if I was gunna get one might as well be exactly what I want.
fair play to you mate, there's **** loads of classics about (don't call them the OLD shape, people may get touchy), and i held out for the colour i wanted aswell.

an inspection is not a bad thing to get done and the one i had done was very thorough, it will pick up loads of things with the car coz they need to justify charging you over £200 for about an hours work. just digest the report they give you and go from there.

ANY scooby you buy will have been driven hard, that's what they're for. buying from an enthusiast isn't a bad idea as most will at least know how to look after the car. don't be put off by mods to the car, if they're installed/done by the pros it'll save you loads of dosh (providing you're into that sort of thing, as it will obviously affect your insurance)

if you're in any doubt about mods on a car you're looking at, a post on here or a search should satisfy your worries. there's a core of 'things to do and what not to do to a scooby' on here and some VERY clued up people, so if in doubt ask.

good luck!
Old 10 August 2004, 08:47 PM
yakboy
Scooby Newbie

Default Wagons rule

I agree with corrado boy, just had friends over for the weekend with a 9 month old sprog, managed to fit in 4 adults, 1 baby in baby seat + all terrain pushchair in the boot & a bloody great picnic in my 03 WRX PPP sportswagon, baby slept wonderfully ( the dull growl of the prodrive exhaust sent him to sleep). Wagons are practical (this is my second & I guess my next one will be a wagon too (in a few years time)). Also wagon's don't tend to be as thrashed (or am I purveying a gross stereotype here ??)
Old 10 August 2004, 09:01 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

To be fair, a 4 door Scoob is more than big enough for a small family.

4 doors and a decent boot are more than sufficient for a couple with a small child.

If the pram doesn't fit in the boot.... get a smaller pram.

I assume the reason you intend getting rid is for financial reasons and not practicality?
Old 11 August 2004, 10:57 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

what talizman said.

I have a 4-door 03WRX and two kids. enough room for both car seats (ISOFIX if preferred) and two adults, and pushchair + bits in the boot.

Its as practical as any medium sized 4 door saloon. If its for practicality reasons, don't go buying into the marketers idea that as soon as you have kids you need a huge MPV. I'm from a family of 5 (2 parents and 3 kids), and we always fitted in my dad's cavalier.

Recently on Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson asked why they still made 4-door saloons, what with all the niche market vehicles being produced now.
I guess the answer is because they are simple and practical for most people
Old 11 August 2004, 11:04 AM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

I bought a MY04 WRX (4 door) as a practical family car, one week before my daughter was born. Compared to the Toyota MR2 I had before anything would be more practical. I was in a similar situation, although I bought the MR2 just after getting married, then when the baby was on its way sold that and bought the Impreza.

Went to Scotland for a few days and had no problems fitting all the baby stuff in the car.

I think it is a great compromise (not that an Impreza is a compromise in any way). Practical and relatively safe family car when you need it to be. Yet when you want to go out on your own for a blast and embarass a lot of more expensive sports cars it will do the job perfectly well.
Old 11 August 2004, 11:36 AM
tdkmillsy
Scooby Newbie

The changing of car when the baby comes is mostly a financial decision. The wife may leave work in which case I would have no choice. If she didnt then maybe I could keep it. Although I am not too sure how much it costs to run an impreza compared to a normal (non turbo) car.

Once again thanks for everyones help.

Ian
Old 11 August 2004, 02:36 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

main costs are really just insurance and petrol. You can use standard unleaded if you need to, and it isn't *that* bad on mpg if you drive it sensibly most of the time

To make big savings, I'd expect you'd need to be driving a significantly more mundane car?
Old 11 August 2004, 03:34 PM
Keef69
Scooby Regular

"I do have a good feeling thanks to yourself and the guy selling the car, I am just thinking its a bit much for me."

That should tell you more than anything! You know loads of the history etc. Go for it, you'll love it. I spent 2 months looking for the right one and am pleased as punch with it. Test drove at least 6, they just didn't feel right and the owners didn't make me feel comfortable about how they had been kept. This one sounds like you are getting a good car. There are never guarantees, I keep my fingers crossed every time I drive it! But from what I've read on here, it's the right one for you. Hope this helps!