Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official performance figures: MYO3 PPP?

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2004, 11:13 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Official performance figures: MYO3 PPP?

Has anyone/any magazine actually tested the performance figures for a MY03 WRX PPP? I know that Subaru UK claim

0-60 in 4.8 secs
265 bhp
257 lb torque
max speed 150mph

Are these figures close to accurate? Thanks!
Old 09 August 2004, 11:38 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 0-60 is probably possible with a total dis-respect for the transmission and the 150 can probably be topped on the speedo due to it slightly over reading.
As for the power figures, choose your rolling road carefully on a cold day and you should top them too
Old 09 August 2004, 11:57 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by Brun
The 0-60 is probably possible with a total dis-respect for the transmission and the 150 can probably be topped on the speedo due to it slightly over reading.
As for the power figures, choose your rolling road carefully on a cold day and you should top them too
Agree with you there Brun.

0-60 I dont know.You would probably have to rag it to within an inch of it & it's clutch's life to reproduce that figure over & over.

So i'm not looking to reproduce it myself.All I know is if I count to 5 when my neck snaps back I am doing 60 plus when my eyes re-focus.

265 is PS@6000 RPM which equates to about 260BHP@6000 RPM.

My Power Engineering rolling road figures with about 10K miles on the engine were recorded on a cool but not cold day :-

253 BHP@5904 RPM so I have lost 7 horses somewhere.
252 LBS/FT@3200 RPM & lost a few pounds here as well.

All within tolerance though given the ambient air temp.So i'm happy.

Max speed.Well most brands at this level give 150MPH & some put (electronicaly limited) as well. It's a government thing.

Mark.
Old 10 August 2004, 06:56 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Delta Dash rolling road function which agreed with the Prodrive times for 3rd gear ranges.
I've also been to PE which resulted in 182 bhp @ wheels (265 bhp, 263 lbft) with low 20 deg C inlet temps.

Nick
Old 10 August 2004, 08:50 PM
Gubbins
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butty
I've used Delta Dash rolling road function which agreed with the Prodrive times for 3rd gear ranges.
I've also been to PE which resulted in 182 bhp @ wheels (265 bhp, 263 lbft) with low 20 deg C inlet temps.

Nick
Bloody hell - that's a > 30% transmission loss!!!!!

Is that right? Thought it should be around 15%?
Old 10 August 2004, 09:14 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

i was there on that day as well, i believe i talked to butty after his run, as i ran my 03WRX non PPP there on the same day, my power at the wheels was slightly higher that 182bhp at 188bhp, but my flywheel power was 252bhp and torque 251lbft.

This is from a non-PPP car though, with a panel filter and backbox, and a touch of octane booster on the day.

I would say that those figures are 100% believable, including 0-60 and the traction is immense on decent tyres, im positive that i have had my car close if not under 5 to 60 even thoug its non PPP.

The power output on a given rolling road doesnt necessarily reflect the cars on road performance though (thats what ive found) i went in a PPP car (first time i had) the other day and the car felt quick but the power curve seemed flatter than mine, even though the engine was producing similar power. My car was more of a kick at 4k rpm the PPP one wasnt.

I have found that the 03/04 cars seem to be producing higher power ratings out of the box that the previous model years, it has been widely noted that filter/backbox mods regularly see 245+ on the rollers.....but again its how it performs on the road that counts

Neil.
Old 10 August 2004, 10:51 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gubbins
Bloody hell - that's a > 30% transmission loss!!!!!

Is that right? Thought it should be around 15%?
Hope it doesn't turn into another RR figure dispute thread!

I thought that 24% was the accepted figure for the std subaru 5spd transmission so >30% does seem a high - that's why I included the power@wheels figure for perhaps a more relevant figure.

Having said that, I believe that the PPP figures were produced at PE, so its a good reference place to make flywheel comparisions.

Nick
Old 10 August 2004, 11:30 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Butty
Hope it doesn't turn into another RR figure dispute thread!

I thought that 24% was the accepted figure for the std subaru 5spd transmission so >30% does seem a high - that's why I included the power@wheels figure for perhaps a more relevant figure.

Having said that, I believe that the PPP figures were produced at PE, so its a good reference place to make flywheel comparisions.

Nick
Agree with Nick.

I find this very similar to the "bathroom scales and weight gain/loss" scenario.

Weigh yourself on 5 different scales & you will get a different reading from them all.But you are actually the same weight on all of them.

So which one is correct?

The one you WANT to be correct.

If you are dieting you will go for the lower reading.

If you are bulking up muscle for a competition you will go with the higher reading.

Same with RRs.It is not an exact science.There are too many variables that you cannot compensate for.All you can do is use the same rollers & compare before & after readings & try to keep as many of the variables as constant as possible.

The before & after being anything from a higher mileage loosening up the engine, to the addding of mods, to running a new map etc.

My run at PE prior to the above one was at only 5K miles & a hot mid summer day.So my figures suffered.

247BHP@5806 RPM
239 LBS/FT@3100 RPM

But it gave a bench mark figure to compare the next run with.

Mark
Old 11 August 2004, 09:34 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by FLAT ERIC
Agree with Nick.

I find this very similar to the "bathroom scales and weight gain/loss" scenario.

Weigh yourself on 5 different scales & you will get a different reading from them all.But you are actually the same weight on all of them.

So which one is correct?

The one you WANT to be correct.

If you are dieting you will go for the lower reading.

If you are bulking up muscle for a competition you will go with the higher reading.

Same with RRs.It is not an exact science.There are too many variables that you cannot compensate for.All you can do is use the same rollers & compare before & after readings & try to keep as many of the variables as constant as possible.

The before & after being anything from a higher mileage loosening up the engine, to the addding of mods, to running a new map etc.

My run at PE prior to the above one was at only 5K miles & a hot mid summer day.So my figures suffered.

247BHP@5806 RPM
239 LBS/FT@3100 RPM

But it gave a bench mark figure to compare the next run with.

Mark
what mileage do you think an 03 sti ppp would come fully on song?
Old 11 August 2004, 10:02 AM
FrenchBoy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

When Mike Wood came to sort out the problems on my 03WRX PPP, he showed me the delta dash outputs from the original 0-60 runs he did in Prodrive's WRXPPP. 4.8 secs was actually an average - he did actually get it quicker than that!!

I wouldnt like to replicate how he did it though! Apparently it goes something like this:

1. Hold clutch in
2. Select 1st gear
3. Pin throttle to the floor making sure you are bouncing off the limiter @ 7k
4. Sidestep clutch
5. Keep throttle pinned to floor - hold tight and dont f*ck your gearchange (and try to ignore the appalling smell from the clutch and the frightening noises from the diffs)

Even Mike admitted its a very brutal process that he doesnt like to do more than 3 or 4 times.
Old 11 August 2004, 03:16 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

I have an 03 WRX PPP and it has achieved the following (on a private airstrip of course)

0-60 4.52 Clutch smelt worse than a ****** draws
153mph that reading came from my Road Angel and my TomTom Sat Nav. Speedo was wedged off the dials
As for BHP and Torque all I can say is my car will more than keep up with most STis and a certain tweaked WR1
Just need to add some springs and 18" wheels to complete the package

As for R/Rds after the experience I had I wouldnt do it again. According to the figures I only have 235BHP

I know how my car performs on the Real Road and thats what counts.
Old 11 August 2004, 07:01 PM
jimmy wrx
Scooby Regular

Funny readings all round .I drive a standard 03wrx (just a afterburner backbox) and got 254BHP @ 241 Torque

I have driven with supercue afew times and his car seems alittle bit quicker
Old 11 August 2004, 08:24 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jimmy, you really want that Shrek don't you
Old 11 August 2004, 09:08 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by GRIFF007
what mileage do you think an 03 sti ppp would come fully on song?
That's a tricky one to answer.As the engine loosens up it should release more power but at some point that "loosening up" changes into "wear & tear" & worn piston rings,bores & valve seats then lead to less power.

It's knowing at what point the increase in power peaks & when the downhill run towards new internals has begun.I suppose doing a yearly compression test would give an indication as to what stage your engine is at.

I'm looking to do another run at 15K-20K miles & see which way my figures are heading.Hopefully I will find my 7 missing horses.
Old 09 September 2004, 11:40 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

Ive had trouble with my 03 STI uk, only made 260bhp on the dyno, so had a new ecu fitted with the latest map and it make 265bhp. Even tryed it on another dyno same result...

I did 3 runs at croft on 0-60's on sunday and could only manage 5.4

Something not right
Old 09 September 2004, 11:57 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimmy wrx
Funny readings all round .I drive a standard 03wrx (just a afterburner backbox) and got 254BHP @ 241 Torque
How can this be!? At 0.9bar boost there is no way you can see more than 250bhp surely??

Either way to pay £1600 for the PPP when you have 254bhp is a no brainer, thats over £100 per bhp
Old 10 September 2004, 09:57 AM
merlin71
Scooby Regular

Got an 04WRX PPP.

With 4,000 miles on the clock it did a 13.8 flat 1/4 mile so thats spot on with Prodrives figure. Hot day (22c) and i was launching at 5500 - 6000 rpm.

Could have got into the 13.7's.

Old 10 September 2004, 10:26 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by BAH
Ive had trouble with my 03 STI uk, only made 260bhp on the dyno, so had a new ecu fitted with the latest map and it make 265bhp. Even tryed it on another dyno same result...

I did 3 runs at croft on 0-60's on sunday and could only manage 5.4

Something not right
I found that Dynos are not all that as I said earlier in this thread but as for 0-60 times I did manage a cracking time of 4.52 but that took a number of starts (about 5/6) and was not easy to achieve. Also the Sti has 6 gears which can be a hinderance for 0-60s.

I wouldnt worry about anything but how the car compares to your peers. If you are keeping up or beating them then the cars fine surely? If not then you need to examine things a lot closer.

Bottom line are you happy with the performance you get on the road?