WRX PPP kit on EU import scoob

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2004, 01:24 PM
tikka69
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX PPP kit on EU import scoob

Hi all,

Recently bought a MY04 WRX scoob, very impressed with it.

Car has been registered with IM in UK and garage in Malta where it is fron are
very helpful and have been great with questions I have had regarding servicing, etc.

However in the one of the mails that I got from them they pointed out in the service/warranty book where it highlights performance mods :

See extract :

"Please take some time to read thoroughly the Warranty & Service booklet which explains in detail the warranty conditions and requirements.
Especially important to understand is Page 07 (e.g.. Item 3.3, Stating performance upgrades/modifications will invalidate the warranty)."

I then asked them if I could get the PPP kit fitted to the car without affecting the warranty as it appears people do over here :

Unfortunately the Prodrive Performance Pack amongst other performance upgrades are not approved by Subaru, therefore they will automatically invalidate your warranty due to the changes of engine specifications and the increase in power (As explained in the warranty booklet).

Whilst we also do offer the PPP here in Malta it is only sold under the client's approval that the warranty will be terminated.

At the end it is your choice but please be aware that this will invalidate your warranty. I would suggest installing the PPP after the warranty expires!

The subaru garage over here that did my 1k service recently seemed to think this is not the case and they will not affect Warranty. I was under the impression all Prodrive extras could be fitted OK ?

Anyone shed any light on the above ? Does a UK Warranty handbook say the same thing in it on Page 7 ?

Many Thanks

Tikka_69
Old 09 August 2004, 01:50 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by tikka69
Hi all,

Recently bought a MY04 WRX scoob, very impressed with it.

Car has been registered with IM in UK and garage in Malta where it is fron are
very helpful and have been great with questions I have had regarding servicing, etc.

However in the one of the mails that I got from them they pointed out in the service/warranty book where it highlights performance mods :

See extract :

"Please take some time to read thoroughly the Warranty & Service booklet which explains in detail the warranty conditions and requirements.
Especially important to understand is Page 07 (e.g.. Item 3.3, Stating performance upgrades/modifications will invalidate the warranty)."

I then asked them if I could get the PPP kit fitted to the car without affecting the warranty as it appears people do over here :

Unfortunately the Prodrive Performance Pack amongst other performance upgrades are not approved by Subaru, therefore they will automatically invalidate your warranty due to the changes of engine specifications and the increase in power (As explained in the warranty booklet).

Whilst we also do offer the PPP here in Malta it is only sold under the client's approval that the warranty will be terminated.

At the end it is your choice but please be aware that this will invalidate your warranty. I would suggest installing the PPP after the warranty expires!

The subaru garage over here that did my 1k service recently seemed to think this is not the case and they will not affect Warranty. I was under the impression all Prodrive extras could be fitted OK ?

Anyone shed any light on the above ? Does a UK Warranty handbook say the same thing in it on Page 7 ?

Many Thanks

Tikka_69
Politics and skullduggery - of for a simple life!

May aswell forget warranty then and geta TSL333 !
Old 09 August 2004, 03:02 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Another example of why you get too much hassle with an import - what do you value your time at for sorting all the mess out?
Old 09 August 2004, 09:28 PM
st33ly
Scooby Regular

AR who's laughing at saving £3.5k over uk dealer prices. Don't be such a negative t!t!The dealer near me is more than happy to service imports and warranty work if it's been registered with IM. As regards to the PPP. I would not think it would have any warranty issues at all but dealers will do anything to get out of it!
Old 09 August 2004, 09:45 PM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

I was told by someone recently that its Im's way of having the last laugh on personal imports and they won't do PPP upgrades on them. I was considering an imported Sti 8 but I went and got a Uk one in the end.
Old 09 August 2004, 09:53 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

The major factor here is that the prodrive packs are not recognised by FHI and is a UK (and some parts of Europe) only deal. The major difference being UK cars are sold with a warranty provided by IM and the european cars are sold with a Factory Warranty from FHI, so im presuming this is the major factor in a country recognising to honour warranties on cars with PPP.

the UK dealers will pretty much PPP anything, but it comes down to what happens if the tranny melts and your supplying countries agent wants an inspection. very sticky situation.

might as well go aftermarket and remove the parts if you have any problems, better value for money and more bang for the buck :-).
Old 09 August 2004, 11:40 PM
AR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by st33ly
AR who's laughing at saving £3.5k over uk dealer prices. Don't be such a negative t!t!The dealer near me is more than happy to service imports and warranty work if it's been registered with IM. As regards to the PPP. I would not think it would have any warranty issues at all but dealers will do anything to get out of it!
I guess we all have vested interests but when I bought my UK supplied WRX I looked at the Motorpoint cars and was'nt prepared to live without side airbags. Also I got cracking prices from the dealer on my unused 17" wheels/tyres and px which I was struggling to sell otherwise. I also always wanted the PPP.

I've got no probs with people buying imports but its not for me unless they come from the EU (Malta/Cyprus were not when I looked) and have genuine UK spec or can be made up as such for little cost.
Old 10 August 2004, 12:39 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

I've got an EU sourced bugeye and had PPP fitted by a UK dealer I didn't get any Prodrive Certification but I've got an invoice saying I've had the work done. I asked about warranties and was told that unless the claim specifically was PPP related then they wouldn't tell the supplying country's main importer on the claim... i.e. bog standard for anything other than engine so don't know how it would go on with an engine claim but I'm enjoying the grin factor so far

Andy
Old 11 August 2004, 12:53 PM
tikka69
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Personally I consider the saving I made ( i.e. over 3.5k ) better than the fact that I may or may not be able to have the PPP kit. I would like it but its not the end of the world for me ! Well, maybe....

The dealer I am getting the car serviced at seems to think i will be OK, so I guess its a case of if the original dealer demands the parts being shipped to them for proof. I find this highly unlikely ?

Makes me laugh with all this subaru warranty thing to. Had an MR2 roadster before, again this was an EU import. Had 3 year warranty, and I claimed for some new alloys for it due to a couple of them blistering ( which the techincians had pointed out at a service for me ! ). Local dealer swapped em all without a second thought even though they knew it was an EU import. All seemed to be far simpler !!

Regarding the line from the dealer where the car is from, surely they are shooting themselves in the foot? I mean if they will only fit the PPP kit when the warranty is finished, what is the point of going for prodrive stuff ? You can get any mod you want then, and probably more for less than the cost of the PPP kit ??

All seems a bit daft to me with the different rules on subaru............