Sponsored by:

Impreza Turbo Wagon vs ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2000, 01:47 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

With all these x vs y threads going on, it makes me realise that all us Wagon owners have nothing to compare with...?

My requirement for a family car (i.e. not a coupe) which is practical for carrying loads (i.e. not a saloon) including proper roof bars, is reasonably priced (max £25K new in my book) and has grin-inducing performance , produces only one contender, the Impreza Turbo Wagon.

It also has two bonuses:
PPP option
Low depreciation (it may be getting worse but its still good)

So apart from getting an STI Wagon, my UK Wagon is ideal. The only other choice was a Vectra GSi, but it scores lower on performance and depreciation, and as JC said of the Zafira - it may be good but it's a Vauxhall!

So for me, the EVO, S3, Golf V6 etc don't come into the equation. Sure I'd love an RS4 or a big engined Beemer estate, but that's just SILLY money.

No, unless anyone can suggest anything else, on my criteria there's NOTHING that will beat an Impreza Turbo Wagon!!!

[This message has been edited by Dippy (edited 13-07-2000).]
Old 13 July 2000, 02:15 PM
lpro
Scooby Regular

Talking

Have to totally agree with you here. Didn't want a Saloon as needed to get pram etc in boot, as well as the pooch on occasions.
Not so conspicuious(sp!) as to stand out in the crowd, meaning not attractive to tealeaf's and like.

Also seems like the residuals won't be hit that hard due to new wagon being a bit on the wussy side(seems everyone is saying that the new wagon won't look as sporty). Bmw's touring mark 'whatever' held up for ages because of suppy and demand, I reckon the wagon will to.

The only car I would change it for is the STi wagon.

Old 13 July 2000, 02:26 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Old 13 July 2000, 02:36 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

How about it's big brother the Legacy GT-B

More room, More power, more comfortable, better equipped, more sophisticated

Paul

Their owners can't type though hence the edit

[This message has been edited by pnebbs (edited 13-07-2000).]
Old 13 July 2000, 02:38 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

What about an imported Legacy GT-B Twin Turbo ? 280hp 4WD.

Or even better a Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 (2.5 litre Twin Turbo) 280hp 4WD again.

These'll whip you're **** . OK I know they are both barges and are also imports but still, the secondhand prices are way way lower than an Impreza.

Gary
Old 13 July 2000, 02:51 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Here you go then, how about this!

Brabus Mercedes V12 E-Class estate

Spec:

Modified 48 valve Merc V12, 7.3 litres
582bhp
200mph plus
0-60 in 4.9 secs
0-100 in under 10 secs
Carbon fibre brakes

The ultimate Q car!!!!

Haven't got a price though. I suspect that if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Geezer
Old 13 July 2000, 03:13 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Gary

What makes you say the Galant is even better????? - Have you driven either?

I don't think my GTB is a barge at all - it certainly keeps up with an impreza on the back roads and is better on the motorway (or should that be Autobahn )

And where are the GTB that are far cheaper than an Impreza - I couldn't find one cheaper!!

Geezer

Might be a tad over £25K (I have to drive an E class merc at work and it is the most uncomfortable car I have ever driven!)

Paul

[This message has been edited by pnebbs (edited 13-07-2000).]
Old 13 July 2000, 04:12 PM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

Cool

For the money I dont think you can beat the wagon. Mine still gives me a warm fuzzy feeling and parents wives etc think you have a nice practical family car.

Wins which ever way for me. Quiet life with lots of smiles
Old 13 July 2000, 04:46 PM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Pnebbs

Oohhh, do I sense a little animosity here !

Handbags at dawn and all that.

Well yes you're absolutely correct. I haven't driven a Galant, so I can't make a legitimate comparison. I would be interested in you're views if you have driven both.

I have driven a Legacy back to back with an Impreza (standard UK model, can't remember the year), but this was only on a half hour test drive. I wouldn't like to give to much comment as thats not much time to get too know a car, on the whole I liked the Legacy.

I felt it pulled from much lower (2 turbos maybe ?), there was hardly any noticeable lag either, unlike a Scooby. But, it still did feel like a bigger car (which of course it is). The turn in was not as sharp and you could feel it loading up under heavy cornering.

We'll maybe there not cheaper, I dunno, from Autotrader today -

L (1993) Subaru Legacy GTB, black, ABS, air conditioning, etc etc 57,000 miles, Warranty 10 months £9750

I guess you could buy a UK Impreza for this given the massive price drop recently.
Old 13 July 2000, 05:17 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You're right, I forgot about the Legacy and Galant, but then I suppose I was really thinking about brand new UK spec.

On looks, I prefer the Impreza to the Legacy, but I have to say I do like the Galant. If Mitsubishi UK decided to sell a UK spec Galant, even if it was less than 280PS I'd be interested...
Old 13 July 2000, 10:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the immortal words of one Quientin Wilson 'in what other car can you humiliate an M3 and then transport the wife kids and dogs down a dirt track'?

Long live the wagon !!!!!

Pete
Old 13 July 2000, 10:27 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Don't forget the Cossies too

Old 13 July 2000, 10:49 PM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Gary

No aminosity - (I just like winding up Impreza owners - I support the minority - and I've had a very bad day ) I like imprezas as well

I found the Galant to be very removed from the road - did not feel like a sporting car! (engine was nice though)

Mine is slightly modified as well - coilover suspension - big brakes - breathed on engine etc, so turns in very well and goes fairly well

Prices for bottom end cars are now much the same for Imprezas/Legacies, but 98 onward Legacies are still usually well over 20K (for a good un!)

93 cars are GTs not GTBs - ie less power and differenet suspension/wheels

Paul

[This message has been edited by pnebbs (edited 14-07-2000).]
Old 13 July 2000, 11:05 PM
Kevin Tree
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Geezer:
<B>Here you go then, how about this!

Brabus Mercedes V12 E-Class estate

Spec:

Modified 48 valve Merc V12, 7.3 litres
582bhp
200mph plus
0-60 in 4.9 secs
0-100 in under 10 secs
Carbon fibre brakes

The ultimate Q car!!!!

Haven't got a price though. I suspect that if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Geezer [/quote]

I think that this is the one in the recent Autoexpress(?) supplement, £250K is the figure that springs to mind! BIG pose factor for those in the know and full of surprises for those that aren't
PS I have to ask.........

Old 14 July 2000, 12:13 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

What I would like is a P1 Wagon fully backed by Subaru UK ( )

At the moment I'm into stealth (not allowed an SS exhaust ) with the extra capability coming from enhanced grip/handling

Tee!Hee!

Old 14 July 2000, 12:30 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

P1 Wagon would be good, but I'm poor so I couldn't afford one

Think my wagon has had enough mods to it before I had it, only ones I'm likley to make are fog to driving light conversion, better brake disks, pads and lines, and, well, that's about it. Might consider a chip, but I doubt it.
Old 14 July 2000, 10:57 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Good to see that there is a healthy wagon comunity out there, and we even get to have a go a cossies in a mag (recent edition of Revs)

I needed the wagon as I've got a dog (and before anyone says anything I'm talking about maggie the weimaraner puppy and <B>NOT</B> SuzyQ) anyway, said pup would not enjoy being the boot of a 4door, so a wagon it had to be.

As suzy is fond of saying, it's only really going to get nicked for parts, as I don't think many people would have a wagon over a saloon, and that is a good thing, at least they'll leave us alone!

As for being Q car like, hmmm, with the HiperDrager exhaust and blacked out windows I don't think it's toatlly inconspicious, more like a pimps car, or so I've been told.

Do love it to death though, totally cool and gives other cars a real fright when I zap past them! and with no badges, most of the time they have no idea what's just given them a good old kicking!

must get down to a dyno to see what the baby is putting out, just out of curiousity of course

Don't mind about residuals as a) the car is an import and therefore is automatically worth less b) it's used, so it's worth less, and c) Suzy said that I can't have another car for a very, very long time, thus I'll be driving it for quite some time.

Maybe we should start up the SIDCWD (Subaru Impreza Drivers Club - Wagon Division)

Maybe one day I'll have an STi Wagon *sigh*
Old 14 July 2000, 11:45 AM
robman
Scooby Regular

I love my wagon, for all reasons mentioned above by my 5 door bretheren.

However, I think the Galant looks positively evil from the front, and would love to see that sort of styling matched to the performance and smaller size of the EVO VI, but with 5 doors.

But if you want real performance, according to Gran Turismo 2 there is a Nissan wagon that is effectively a 5 door Skyline. Now imagine the Lemon Skyline with 5 doors. Holy ****.
Old 14 July 2000, 11:51 AM
pnebbs
Scooby Regular

Its not just in GT2, they are real -Called a Nissan Stagea, link below