Sponsored by:

WR1 Driving Lights.

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2004, 03:12 PM
D3ave
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR1 Driving Lights.

Someone asked a question a couple of weeks ago, reguarding WR1 driving lights not haveing a backlight in the switch,
I asked this question when the car went for its first service, they gave the same answer as the one on here, that it does light up when on with full beam but goes out when you dip,
After explaining that lights that are only used at high speed and not back illuminated is not a good idea from a safety angle, he went for another look.

Came back saying, yes it should be lit up, there are 2 bulbs in it, 1 is the blue one for on with main beam and the other is a backlight which is working.

The answer he came up with, was that they have used a fog light switch and covered the symbol of a fog light with a sticker of a driving light and not left a clear bit for the light to shine through.
He rang Subaru technical, who said they did not know about this and that Prodrive had fitted them.
They were going to get back to me with an answer, that was over 3 weeks ago, He did suggest getting some new stickers made that lets the light shine through,
I asked about people fitting these light to STIs and what switches they used, has anyone fitted them and if so what switch has been fitted?
I did peel the sticker back to reveal a fog light switch that lights up, this must be preferable to groping about in the dark at speed for a switch.

Dave.
Old 30 July 2004, 03:18 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They only come on with the full beam, they are not fog lights.

Tony
Old 30 July 2004, 03:28 PM
D3ave
Scooby Newbie

I know that they are not fog lights, but the switch should be lit up so you can find it easily in the dark whether they be switched on or not.
It has the bulb for it and it and it works when the sticker is removed.
Even the *** lighter is illuminated.
Think you missed my point.

D3ave
Old 30 July 2004, 03:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope havnt missed the point, when you have your full beam on they come on, there is no switch for them.

Tony
Old 30 July 2004, 03:39 PM
Gee WR1
Scooby Regular

Just leave them switched on, as they only come on in full beam i don't find i need 2 bother switching them on or of on the move. Not fussed if there's a permanent light on switch, but did ask same question at dealers just after getting it.
Old 30 July 2004, 03:44 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

Tony, there is a switch, as described. Somedays you will want driving lights to come on with full beam (driving thru the country) some days you won't(town/spying ) . The switch gives you this option. Practically speaking though you could just switch them on before leaving town whilst there is still ambient light about.
Chuck
Old 30 July 2004, 06:52 PM
MillieWR1
Scooby Regular

Default MillieWR1

Originally Posted by D3ave
I did peel the sticker back to reveal a fog light switch that lights up, this must be preferable to groping about in the dark at speed for a switch.

Dave.
Cheers Dave for that, think i am jsut going to peel the sticker off, so I can see the switch if needed.
Old 30 July 2004, 07:39 PM
Johnny WR1
Scooby Regular

Yah, Tony - you did miss the point. There is a switch that enables you to turn the driving lights on or off when you are on full beam. I raised a question about this recently as that switch is not illuminated (so you can find it in the dark), like all the other controls in the car are.

I received a reply from Blobster who said that his dealer replaced the bulb at the 1K service, and that now his switch is illuminated. My car had its 1K service today, so I asked my dealer to investigate.

He came up with the same reply that you got Dave. There is a driving light sticker over the top of what was originally a fog light switch. The back-lighting does not shine through the new sticker because the transparent parts of it are not aligned with the transparent parts on the original switch beneath. I think Blobster's dealer probably did not replace a bulb - I suspect he peeled the driving light sticker off.

Personally I think it's a bit of a poor effort, if not particularly crucial.
Old 30 July 2004, 08:51 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I agree, poor show really.

I know where my switch is though, i don't need to be able to see it!

Dare i ask how some of you change stations on the radio and tracks on the cd player, not to mention check what gear your in if your not too sure?

Having said that i agree it should light up and prodrive just puting a sticker over an old switch isn't good enough on a 30 grand car. They could've tried a bit harder!
Old 31 July 2004, 08:58 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

not as bad as decals!!
saying that p1 when it came out it cost £32,995
martin
Old 31 July 2004, 09:26 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by p1doc
not as bad as decals!!
saying that p1 when it came out it cost £32,995
martin
Probably not as bad as the 2 self tapping grub screws holding the lower grill to the plastic runner just below the bumper. What's these going to look like in the winter when they start to rust?

I am not "dissing" the car, I just think that a £30K car should have had a little more effort put into the fine details like these (and the decals).