Sponsored by:

MY02 WRX drivers-ease my worries

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2004, 09:45 PM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face MY02 WRX drivers-ease my worries

still getting used to the diffrence from my MY99. but are all 02 scoobs like this

1-clutch judder-only when cold and damp

2-crap below 2.5k revs

i know its heavier than a classic but i expect to be able to zoom away from a junction.it seems a lot slower than my classic when taking off and has caused a few close moments.

cheers

colin
Old 28 July 2004, 09:59 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Mine often suffered from clutch judder, i mentioned it to the dealer once who told me to drive it hard before garaging it for the night. It never did it until it had covered about 10000 miles though. I have heard people on here saying that u can upgrade the clutch fluid to overcome the problem.

They do bog down under 2.5k rpm, then the turbo does its thing! Oh and it's worse if you have the air con on. Launching at higher revs seems to overcome the problem IMO.

Chris
Old 28 July 2004, 10:03 PM
Wilster
Scooby Regular

Hi Dicky,

Quite alot been said on this. I went from MY99 to 02 Wagon WRX. You will find some say slow slow slow not as much fun etc. whilst others say they've gone head to head and there's nothing in it. Like most things the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. My dealer comes out with stuff about "more even power delivery in the WRX therefore no kick" etc. etc.

Personally I found it too slow so on went the PPP, which gives it the sort of zip you'd expect. Taking off (or should I say moving off) from 2.5k should be smooth enough, perhaps go a little easier on the clutch???

Anyway, clutch. Yes mine judders when cold; so did the MY99. I got a new one under warranty on the '99. My dealer has just agreed to replace the one on the WRX too, 'cos it now does it occasionally when warm, which is where I draw the line.

Hope this helps.

Wilster
Old 28 July 2004, 11:27 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Touch wood, I've not had any clutch judder on my MY02 WRX to date.

Yes, it's sluggish below 2.5k revs, but then again, most turbo cars feel bogged down off boost.

John.
Old 28 July 2004, 11:29 PM
G4Tyrant
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dicky ticker
still getting used to the diffrence from my MY99. but are all 02 scoobs like this

2-crap below 2.5k revs

i know its heavier than a classic but i expect to be able to zoom away from a junction.it seems a lot slower than my classic when taking off and has caused a few close moments.

cheers

colin
Colin,

Ive got an MY01 WRX and the clutch was replaced under warranty after 15k for the juddering problem ! Dealer said it was a known problem and fitted a new one and its been fine ever since ?!

G4
Old 28 July 2004, 11:29 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dicky mate

all MY 02's are like this so ..... I did this

TD05 front entry conversion turbo
STi Intercooler
Samco Silicon hoses
Sti Pink Injectors
FSE fuel pump
FSE fuel pump regulator
3 port boost solenoid
EcuTeK 3 Custom re-map by BRD (Bob Rawle) 1.38 bar max
Ported and wrapped headers
NGK PR7 plugs
Haywood and Scott full de-cat
TSL centre section
Magnex oval 6X4 back box
K & N filter......

And it's WORSE than your's at 2500 RPM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just gotta accept that it weighs a lot more and keep the RPM up

Midlife.....
Old 28 July 2004, 11:57 PM
Elliot
Scooby Regular

Yep the clutch judders on my MY01 too and it's performance at low revs is terrible, it really does feel very slow. Sometimes makes me really miss my old MY95 WRX !!!

El
Old 29 July 2004, 12:08 AM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Occasional clutch judder on my 02 - but being a JDM no chance of a warranty claim lol - just gotta live with it.

Slow to pull of too if done normally, just give it about 5K revs and it flies - that will fix your clutch problem to cos you will soon need a new one

Just fitted a Sonic Power air filter and getting a decat downpipe and EcuTek 3 map soon so hopefully that will reduce turbo lag and give it a bit more mid range.

It is pretty quick though - just gotta 'really' drive it.
Old 29 July 2004, 07:28 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No judder here, but gutless under about 2k rpm. I've had to learn to drive in a lower gear than my last car (Mazda 323ZXi) for everything. Slow rolling starts need to be in first, whereas the Mazda could do them in second. Hell, I once did a standing start in fourth in that - wouldn't try it in the WRX. But the engine isn't very powerful off-boost 'cos of the low compression surely?

M
Old 29 July 2004, 09:40 AM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Yup - clutch judder when cold, especially noticeable when reversing off drive first thing in morning. Soon recedes, though.

And, off-boost, it is truly cr*p. On boost is acceptable, but still not blistering.... Better with the aircon switched off!
Old 30 July 2004, 12:49 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Wink

2-crap below 2.5k revs

cheers

colin
Hi,

Bought my 02 WRX last year with 9000miles on the clock. Started to get the clutch judder at around 15000 miles. Only when cold and not every day. Mentioned it to the dealer and was told there is a recall for cars that suffer this. Went in last month with 23000miles on the clock. New clutch, bearings and I believe new flywheel. Car feels great now, no judder, very smooth pull away. Also seem to be getting more MPG (started another thread on this).

If your dealer isn't helping suggest try another, it's a waranty job, no cost, one day in the garage.

If you have problems I will email you my dealer name and you can speak to them, very helpful.

Oh and as for sluggish performance, full Scoobysport system including decat. Noticable power increase and the sound is fantastic!

Cheers

Matt
Old 30 July 2004, 01:25 PM
2002pete
Scooby Regular

No clutch judder on my 02 very smooth.

Pete.
Old 30 July 2004, 01:56 PM
Red Man
Scooby Regular

In my MY01 WRX I learned that I had to be real careful pulling out into traffic from rest - you see a gap - think this car goes like stink so - pull out, bog down for first 5 seconds, crap pants as large lorry fills rear mirror, then blast away looking like the idiot I was.

PPP certainly helps - makes the car behave more like a normal car (not high performance) at low revs.

My recommendation to be honest would be to get PPP, or similar. If you already have it then you will just need to trade in for STi - like I did, or accept that you need granny size gaps to pull out from rest.
Old 30 July 2004, 02:48 PM
Tandy
Scooby Regular

2-crap below 2.5k revs

cheers

colin
1 - A little judder from time to time just till I get it off the drive
2 - Get it down to TSL or Bob rawle for a custom remap. TSL did mine at it really is transformed still a little lag really low down but nothing to worry about anymore.
Old 30 July 2004, 10:35 PM
webby sti v7
Scooby Regular

Cool common fault

2-crap below 2.5k revs

cheers

colin
ok have a v7 sti wagon clutch judder previous to TSL333 conversion much much better than ppp job and smoother and i am 100% sure TSL can give you a remap of 280 bhp but pulling from 2200 all the way to the red line i know cause mine does you may need a slight change to your exhaust but not def TSL have richard mapping for them ex toyota wrc mapper and he maps for smooth constant power not all in one hit real world driving try them i did and would not go any where else i/e two guys came from greece and had there v8 sti mapped need i say more