Sponsored by:

WRX STI vs WRX STI PPP

Search this Thread

Old 20 July 2004, 08:02 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX STI vs WRX STI PPP

Recently test drove the WRX STI with about 2000 miles on it and I was left feeling dissapointed, could have been that it was still tight and maybe had wrong fuel in it but it seemed well off the pace to what I was expecting.

Anyway, last weekend test drove the WRX STI PPP It had 8500 miles on it and the prodrive pack was fitted at 1000 miles. Felt every bit all of that, With the turbo coming in at 2700Rpm it was quick off the mark too without having to ride the clutch much at all. Books at 4.6 sec to 60, wouldn't be supprised if that is true either. Absolutely mint, go test drive one if you can or better still go upgradt your STI now. This is such a different car to drive with the PPP fitted. felt more like 100BHP difference and so much more drivable.
Old 20 July 2004, 08:23 AM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday... ..Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday. ....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursda y.....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thurs day.....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday

My STI is going in on Thursday for PPP fitting

If anyone else says anything good about the PPP for the STI I think I might just burst with excitement!
Old 20 July 2004, 08:25 AM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

And yes, the std STI is as bad as that. It doesn't get any better with miles.
Completely gutless, and then WALLOP!
Old 21 July 2004, 04:43 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ShyTot
Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday... ..Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday. ....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursda y.....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thurs day.....Thursday.....Thursday.....Thursday

My STI is going in on Thursday for PPP fitting

If anyone else says anything good about the PPP for the STI I think I might just burst with excitement!
yep m8.. it sounds frocking awsome on a cold night over the tops... and beleive me you think... I can't imagine anything any quicker if your really trying... there are plenty things quicker... but over the moors on a twisty bumpy b road between walls it the muts nuts...

Love it...!
Old 21 July 2004, 07:19 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up

Enjoy PPP tomorrow Std STi's should be made ileagal

Tony
Old 21 July 2004, 10:02 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

I like my std STi, and have no problems with the low boost at 2700 rpm, I don't drive it that low !

Thats why its got a six speed box

Will get the PPP one day, but just bought a Celica GT4 for the same money as a run about.
Old 22 July 2004, 01:20 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Default 2 P or not 3 P - that is the question.....

keep us posted on PPP....
Old 22 July 2004, 01:41 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

I test drove an 04 STi standard too and was disappointed. My classic [ with mild mods ] is faster and much more fun to drive... Told the dealer this and after his initial surprise he did agree. Speaking to him later the car had been PPP'd and he said it was now much better - more power throught the rev range etc etc.. - though never got round to testing it.
Old 23 July 2004, 07:44 AM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Smile STI - PPP a proper slow car as well now!

To say that there is a big difference between the STD STI and PPP STI is huge is an understatement.

Let me list all of my non PPP STI gripes and tell you what changes with the PPP: -

Start up the Std STI from cold and for the first mile or so it splutters, jumps, hops and is generally not a happy car. With the PPP, (admitedly with only 1 cold start so far) it appears to be no different at all when its cold.

The std STI is a fast car, no question, but it is also a Very intimidating car because below 3500 rpm it is a very slow car. What this means it if you come up to a junction end and see a gap in the traffic, you really have to give it death to fit in the gap, and that can be very uncomfortable for passengers. Similarly, if you pull up along side someone, and think "Oh Ill just sneak in front of him when the lights change", well yes you probably can, but not without a big "Bog Down" followed by an uncomfortable wallop in the back.
With the STI-PPP, this all changes. Gone are the Bog Down starts, gone is the absolute requirement to raise the revs so far in advance of releasing the clutch. The car now pulls so strongly in low revs, in particular the 30-40mph kind of revs, that it is just a pleasure to drive slowly.

If you are caught in the wrong gear in the Std STI, then you have no option but to change down to accellerate. This is the same in the PPP STI, but (and it is a BIG BUT), 2500-3000rpm is all that is required in the PPP STI to get a strong pick-up. You can, and normally would drive around town within that rev range, so the torque is always there immediately ready. Hence the title "A proper slow car" - It s now a pleasure to drive slowly, in low revs.

The sound from the exhaust is just beautifull! I wouldn't mind it a little louder, but I think it is a good neighbour friendly compromise. My windows have been down ever since I picked it up.

Other interesting noises - the fuel pump sounds like it means business!, and something else which surprised me is the VERY faint sound of the Turbo spinning up and down - I never heard that before and it completes the PPP experience for me.

In summary, the PPP has turned a car that I was struggling to live with day to day in to a car that I NEVER want to sell. Absolutely Awesome!

I would like to give the guys at Prodrive a Great big round of applause for what is unquestionably very impressive engineering.

Was it worth all that insurance hassle - No question!
Was it worth £2000 - Absolute bargain - I'll keep the car now.
Would I buy another standard UK STI - not in a million years - dreadfull car
Would I buy a PPP STI - Oh God YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 23 July 2004, 07:48 AM
ShyTot
Scooby Regular

Red face

Doh - silly me.
It is noticably faster as well, but to be honest I couldn't give a dam about that. That is not what I bought PPP for.
It fulfills every requirement I wanted with abundance, and I would be just as happy if it had exactly the same power as the original 265PS.

Infact insurance might be easier then.........
Old 23 July 2004, 07:59 AM
What if ?
Scooby Regular

Hi ShyTot. Well what can I say.........Told you so !

I will be ordering my new STI in about 10 weeks and will be ordering the PPP at the same time so I can fit it at the first service. Although I love the STI and have wanted one for years I was so disappointed when I test drove it. The PPP though is totally a different car and I can't wait to get it and think I will keep it for many years.
Old 23 July 2004, 10:18 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

To say that there is a big difference between the STD STI and PPP STI is huge is an understatement.

Let me list all of my non PPP STI gripes and tell you what changes with the PPP: -

Start up the Std STI from cold and for the first mile or so it splutters, jumps, hops and is generally not a happy car. With the PPP, (admitedly with only 1 cold start so far) it appears to be no different at all when its cold.

The std STI is a fast car, no question, but it is also a Very intimidating car because below 3500 rpm it is a very slow car. What this means it if you come up to a junction end and see a gap in the traffic, you really have to give it death to fit in the gap, and that can be very uncomfortable for passengers. Similarly, if you pull up along side someone, and think "Oh Ill just sneak in front of him when the lights change", well yes you probably can, but not without a big "Bog Down" followed by an uncomfortable wallop in the back.
With the STI-PPP, this all changes. Gone are the Bog Down starts, gone is the absolute requirement to raise the revs so far in advance of releasing the clutch. The car now pulls so strongly in low revs, in particular the 30-40mph kind of revs, that it is just a pleasure to drive slowly.

If you are caught in the wrong gear in the Std STI, then you have no option but to change down to accellerate. This is the same in the PPP STI, but (and it is a BIG BUT), 2500-3000rpm is all that is required in the PPP STI to get a strong pick-up. You can, and normally would drive around town within that rev range, so the torque is always there immediately ready. Hence the title "A proper slow car" - It s now a pleasure to drive slowly, in low revs.

The sound from the exhaust is just beautifull! I wouldn't mind it a little louder, but I think it is a good neighbour friendly compromise. My windows have been down ever since I picked it up.

Other interesting noises - the fuel pump sounds like it means business!, and something else which surprised me is the VERY faint sound of the Turbo spinning up and down - I never heard that before and it completes the PPP experience for me.

In summary, the PPP has turned a car that I was struggling to live with day to day in to a car that I NEVER want to sell. Absolutely Awesome!

I would like to give the guys at Prodrive a Great big round of applause for what is unquestionably very impressive engineering.

Was it worth all that insurance hassle - No question!
Was it worth £2000 - Absolute bargain - I'll keep the car now.
Would I buy another standard UK STI - not in a million years - dreadfull car
Would I buy a PPP STI - Oh God YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
good report - I am assuming that the PPP was done this week and that it is a UK 8.

Please report back on fuel figures and ride comfort and if you are going to get the PPP handling kit

cheers
Old 23 July 2004, 10:30 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

what if, you can have the PPP fitted from day 1!

I am torn between keeping the warranty and getting the PPP, as i dont know how long to keep the scoob for. Or get the 333 as i have firestorm, and other bits so would be a more cost efficient way, unless something went wrong.

Reading posts like this just make it harder to decide!
Old 23 July 2004, 10:44 AM
forest172
Scooby Regular

Well i`ve a standard MY03 STI and find it easy to live with on a day to day basis.

I`ve also driven a PPP`d STI and didn`t think it was worth the 2 grand asking and increase in insurance.

I`ve got Prodrive Springs on and Vortex Backbox but the best mod so far has been the Eagle F1`s making the ride and handling loads better. I couldn`t believe the difference should it really have this positive effect to the ride and handling??