Sponsored by:

Need some advive on WRX STI 03

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2004, 09:31 PM
Craig_41
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advive on WRX STI 03

Firstly great forum and judging my memebers gallery some great cars, need some advice though.
Currently have a Focus RS which I have had from new and have been very pleased, however nearly had it 12 months and fancy a change. Drove an 04 STI and was quite impressed. On a smooth road it wouldnt touch the RS but on a bumpy road very inpressive, very quick up through 1st 2nd 3rd 4th due to very short gearing.
However unlike the RS this is a car I will want to use everyday so want to know,
What are people getting out of them MPG wise driven sensibly?
Are they less wallowy with aftermarket wheels and springs, as it didnt feel as planted as I would have hoped.
Is it the sort of car I can put 15000 miles on in a year and it not depreciate like a hot brick?
Does the PPP kill fuel consumption? If so by how much?

I know it's a lot to ask but I really want to make sure I make the right choice and this seems a great source of information, if I have one will probably go for a silver one as its a bit more discreet.

Its either this or an R32 golf! Whats the verdict people?

Thanks again.
Old 16 July 2004, 09:57 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Craig_41
Firstly great forum and judging my memebers gallery some great cars, need some advice though.
Currently have a Focus RS which I have had from new and have been very pleased, however nearly had it 12 months and fancy a change. Drove an 04 STI and was quite impressed. On a smooth road it wouldnt touch the RS but on a bumpy road very inpressive, very quick up through 1st 2nd 3rd 4th due to very short gearing.
However unlike the RS this is a car I will want to use everyday so want to know,
Are they less wallowy with aftermarket wheels and springs, as it didnt feel as planted as I would have hoped.
Is it the sort of car I can put 15000 miles on in a year and it not depreciate like a hot brick?

I know it's a lot to ask but I really want to make sure I make the right choice and this seems a great source of information, if I have one will probably go for a silver one as its a bit more discreet.

Its either this or an R32 golf! Whats the verdict people?

Thanks again.

Should be intersting thread - I too am consideringan STi PPP as everyday transport (+ I am nearly 50 - did I really just say that...??!)

Not yet driven R32 - suspect more practical although I imagine far less dramatic in acceleration and cornering - fuel on scooby will be a problem - I am hoping to better 20 mpg average driven hard
Old 16 July 2004, 10:02 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

i had the sti 03, if and hardly ever driven it normally got about 21 mpg and hard about 17 mpg (ppp pack on it)
Old 16 July 2004, 10:09 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gatty
i had the sti 03, if and hardly ever driven it normally got about 21 mpg and hard about 17 mpg (ppp pack on it)
ouch! - Makes the Griff seem frugal - 300 bhp per ton and 25 to gallon!

GTi 6 with touring car engine upgrade (210 bhp) - 35 to gallon on a very high speed cruise (top is over 150 mph!) - for sale soon!!
Old 17 July 2004, 11:53 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Griff
Don't be embarrased about your age - leave that to me! I'm 60 and drive an 03 STi PPP with 18's and Prodrive springs. In normal driving I see 22-23 mpg
In answer to the original queries, yes, the Prodrive springs do improve the ride, which in standard form (in my opinion at least) is poor, certainly compared to the 99my I had before. The PPP will not ruin the mpg, it may even improve in normal steady driving (If you actually do that of course!)
If your Focus RS is in superb condition you should get more than you paid for it?
My son had a Focus RS on order for a year but eventually got pi**ed off waiting, plus all the horror stories about it's development problems! He finally cancelled the order and got an STi! He's still looking towards the really quick one when it arrives.
I'm sure you'll like the STi but I reckon you'll miss the RS?
JohnD
Old 17 July 2004, 01:20 PM
Dunki2001
Scooby Regular

my friend tested for a mag and said the rs feels quick and manic but the r32 is faster etc.
he has not tested sti yet.
Old 17 July 2004, 02:06 PM
SteelX
Scooby Regular

First off, Hi :-)

Second, I have a WR1 which is basically an Sti 04 with PPP, lowered springs (prodrive) and 18" wheels (plus the Diff and Brembo brakes but forget about that for the sake of this).

Had 30 MPG running it in (< 4000 RPM). Does *about* 25 MPG in normal driving which is commute type driving with the odd boot to overtake.

When at pace, well I get 200 miles to a TANK! about 16 -17 MPG. That's over 4000 RPM constantly though!

See above. Get PPP and the Prodrive springs. Pretty sure this is called something at a dealers (like the handling pack or something equally bizarre) anyway, its from Prodrive.

Relatively speaking, Subaru's hold their value less than, say a Toyota but much more than your Ford's and Vauxhall's etc. 15K PA is nothin, that means it'll have done 45K in 3 years and will still fetch a good price if its been fully dealer serviced and had only approved (read covered by Subaru warranty) aftermarket mods.

PPP does nothin to the fuel consumption. However, you do It goes faster because it drinks more...if you make it gulp it down....

I have 3 kids. Impreza ticks every box. I had a Golf once...

Oh and I would suggest the Focus RS just feels quick, just like my classic Impreza did. Feeling can be an illusion

hth

Steel

Trending Topics

Old 17 July 2004, 02:26 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

STi02 std 16mpg lots of Town and country road Driving PPP fitted 18mpg less need to Rev it, as more Torque

Motorway use I would assume little or no change to MPG if PPP fitted. I get 25 mpg as never go as fast motorways as on Roads. Of course Mpg could be much higher but I always have a spirited drive to get too and from the Motorway

R32 is a very nice car, quickish,small and very stable on the road less body roll compared to my STi02PPP but speed were lower.

The down side it really lacks grin Factor compared to my scoob, requires a Miltek exhaust and AMG chip IIRC to give it some driving thrill 2 door and little room for Tesco shopping/Holidays etc to suit my needs.

The downside of the Newage Scoob is the weight but has good body strenth

Tony ......... also nearly 50
Old 17 July 2004, 02:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should also look at the likes of the JDM car if your not too bothered about having a UK spec car.
Out of the box these are a better car, the MY03/04 models come with the A-DCCD (auto/manual drivers control centre diff) and a twin scroll turbo. You loose the flat 4 sound but gain in many more ways, power is available from 1k upwards, they have shorter 5th and 6th gears, which may sound bad but actually is better in many ways
They do need 100 ron fuel (possably the only downside to owning one over a UK STi) but you can get them remapped quite easily (and they are more tunable than its uk counterpart ). You normally get more goodies in the JDM (Japanese domestic market) cars, and the MY05 version of these cars is meant to be another step along, leaving the UK/Euro/Rest of the world market behind
MY03/04 cars are rated at 280ps, 290lbs of torque, my standard car (except its proper STi panel filter) is pushing 300bhp and 312lbs of torque, running optimax and octane booster , the MY05 cars have 280ps 304lbs of torque out of the box, though it has been said that these may be pushing more like 310bhp due to revisions on the engine for better cooling/breathing
Dont discount these cars out of your equasion just because its a Grey import, they are a step or five beyond a uk car (oh and they have the quick rack as an optional extra which seems to be fitted to every GL ive seen out of the factory or standard on the lightweight Spec C)

Tony
Old 17 July 2004, 02:39 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

just to add a mupptey type of post to the thread.

would an STi really not be able to "touch the RS on a smooth road"?
Old 17 July 2004, 03:31 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GRIFF007
Should be intersting thread - I too am consideringan STi PPP as everyday transport (+ I am nearly 50 - did I really just say that...??)
I'm also a forty-something (41) and may I just say that the STi PPP is an EXCELLENT mid-life crisis car 24.8 on the m/way and 18 bashing around the back-roads.
Hugh.
Old 17 July 2004, 04:01 PM
SteelX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jasoon
just to add a mupptey type of post to the thread.

would an STi really not be able to "touch the RS on a smooth road"?
Looks at rear view mirror. Sees a blue dot. Tries to put finger on it....

Nope. Can't touch it

Steel
Old 17 July 2004, 04:10 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hugo
I'm also a forty-something (41) and may I just say that the STi PPP is an EXCELLENT mid-life crisis car 24.8 on the m/way and 18 bashing around the back-roads.
Hugh.
do you have PPP springs or 18 wheels?

What do you think to ride comfort for everyday?

The motorway fig - is that cruising in 90s wherever possible

Back road is that max attack sprinting between corners (using 7k revs?) - 18 is pretty frightening - most of my usage is to the gym or pub cross country!

List 3 things that you dont like about the car other than fuel..
Old 17 July 2004, 04:14 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
You should also look at the likes of the JDM car if your not too bothered about having a UK spec car.
Out of the box these are a better car, the MY03/04 models come with the A-DCCD (auto/manual drivers control centre diff) and a twin scroll turbo. You loose the flat 4 sound but gain in many more ways, power is available from 1k upwards, they have shorter 5th and 6th gears, which may sound bad but actually is better in many ways
They do need 100 ron fuel (possably the only downside to owning one over a UK STi) but you can get them remapped quite easily (and they are more tunable than its uk counterpart ). You normally get more goodies in the JDM (Japanese domestic market) cars, and the MY05 version of these cars is meant to be another step along, leaving the UK/Euro/Rest of the world market behind
MY03/04 cars are rated at 280ps, 290lbs of torque, my standard car (except its proper STi panel filter) is pushing 300bhp and 312lbs of torque, running optimax and octane booster , the MY05 cars have 280ps 304lbs of torque out of the box, though it has been said that these may be pushing more like 310bhp due to revisions on the engine for better cooling/breathing
Dont discount these cars out of your equasion just because its a Grey import, they are a step or five beyond a uk car (oh and they have the quick rack as an optional extra which seems to be fitted to every GL ive seen out of the factory or standard on the lightweight Spec C)

Tony
oh so tempting - I love a quick rack - but the warranty is just too tempting...
Old 17 July 2004, 04:29 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

didnt think of it that was SteelX LOL
Old 17 July 2004, 05:15 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

oh so tempting - I love a quick rack - but the warranty is just too tempting...
Speak to Iain Litchfield at www.litimports.co.uk as he does a 3 year warranty with his JDM imports

Tony
Old 17 July 2004, 05:22 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

didnt know you could get a 3 year warranty with the JDM imports from Litchfield i was told 6 months....

Type 25 next i think.....
Old 17 July 2004, 05:54 PM
hugo
Scooby Regular

do you have PPP springs or 18 wheels?

What do you think to ride comfort for everyday?

The motorway fig - is that cruising in 90s wherever possible

Back road is that max attack sprinting between corners (using 7k revs?) - 18 is pretty frightening - most of my usage is to the gym or pub cross country!

List 3 things that you dont like about the car other than fuel..
Prodrive springs and geometry, silver 18'' PFF7's, Goodrich braided brake lines, swapped the Prodrive back box and centre resonator section for TSL group N backbox and centre section (now sounds like it should but not OTT). About to put on front and rear strut braces and and install an STi panel filter. Next move may be solid droplinks and whiteline ARB.......see what I mean about midlife crisis???

Ride comfort: excellent, easily compatible with everyday usage. previously had an MY03 WRX and the seats really did my back no favours but the STi seats are much better
M/way figure: yes 80-90 with some right foot action for overtaking/fun
Back road: full-on fun, you don't get many mpg on the track though (? should be gpm!!!)

Don't likes:
1. I personally think the front end ain't pretty but the rest of the package allows me to overlook/get used to this.
2. I think the PPP map could be a bit better (cf TSL 333) in retrospect I perhaps should have considered a standard 1 year old STi and allowed TSL to work their magic forfeited warranty (alternatively JDM import but I didn't and still don't have enough knowledge to have the confidence to do this)
3. Cant think of a third at the moment.

Hugh.
Old 17 July 2004, 06:37 PM
Swede-STI
Scooby Regular

The R32 was a dissapointment to drive. The car is very well build and it´s nice inside with the hugging front seats and nice looking dashboard. But the engine wasn´t as fun as I expected. The car is fast but a Honda Civic Type-R is more fun to drive and the Type-R is near half the price.

If You concidering between the STI and R32 as a daily driven car choose the R32. Subaru Engines have never been known as a bank saver at the gas station. These car drinks a lot of gasoline. I loaned a STI MY04 for a day and I filled her up twice. Of course it has to do how You drive. But these cars are really hard to drive sensible.

If Your´e not ellergic to Honda, take a look at the Type-R. A friend of mine has one as a daily driven car besides his Supra, and it works great. Honda is also know for very good build quality on their engines.

/J
Old 17 July 2004, 08:26 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

you are not having another midlife crisis are you hugh-you NEED a tsl remap and possibly a hybrid turbo !!!
martin
Old 17 July 2004, 08:36 PM
pflowers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Swede-STI

If You concidering between the STI and R32 as a daily driven car choose the R32. Subaru Engines have never been known as a bank saver at the gas station. These car drinks a lot of gasoline. I loaned a STI MY04 for a day and I filled her up twice. Of course it has to do how You drive. But these cars are really hard to drive sensible

/J
My mates got an R32 and he can not get better than 23 mpg even on a cruise, it easily dips under 20 if you put your foot down.

BTW it ain't no quicker than my MY04 WRX. ( which does 30 mpg ) !
Old 17 July 2004, 08:57 PM
Craig_41
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by JohnD
Griff
Don't be embarrased about your age - leave that to me! I'm 60 and drive an 03 STi PPP with 18's and Prodrive springs. In normal driving I see 22-23 mpg
In answer to the original queries, yes, the Prodrive springs do improve the ride, which in standard form (in my opinion at least) is poor, certainly compared to the 99my I had before. The PPP will not ruin the mpg, it may even improve in normal steady driving (If you actually do that of course!)
If your Focus RS is in superb condition you should get more than you paid for it?
My son had a Focus RS on order for a year but eventually got pi**ed off waiting, plus all the horror stories about it's development problems! He finally cancelled the order and got an STi! He's still looking towards the really quick one when it arrives.
I'm sure you'll like the STi but I reckon you'll miss the RS?
JohnD
Thanks very much guys some very useful information, a customer of mine came in to work today with his STI 03 which he has offered to sell me and it is a very nice car.
I should get back what I paid for my 6000 mile RS and in a way would be sorry to see it go but just really fancy a change.
The thing that really appeals about the R32 is how discreet it is, where as a Subaru of mine would have to look, sound and go like the daddy!
Genuinly to some people who may doubt my coment about the RS on smooth roads, it felt so much better than the STI, front end will go exactly where you want it to go when you want it to. The STI was much more difficult in this respect. However how many smooth roads do we get on our Majesty's highways?!!!!!
Need to drive the R32 now, if I could get 25mpg driving scoob sensibly on a commute that to me would be fine, only problem is I would end up spending fair bit of money on it rather tuning my other toy!
Old 17 July 2004, 09:20 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

I don't see the point in opting to choose a so called 'performance car' and then worry about the mpg

..just wait 'till the needle points to 1/4 tank,then stick another 20 quids worth in...works for me
Old 17 July 2004, 09:28 PM
Craig_41
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
I don't see the point in opting to choose a so called 'performance car' and then worry about the mpg

..just wait 'till the needle points to 1/4 tank,then stick another 20 quids worth in...works for me
Has got to be a consideration for me at the moment, normally I wouldn't care however with what I have spent racing cars this year the cost of running my road car is now a consideration, otherwise I would have had my noble by now and been done with it!
Old 19 July 2004, 09:06 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Elmer Fudpucker
just wait 'till the needle points to 1/4 tank,then stick another 20 quids worth in...works for me
You gotta be kidding! Mine was on quarter at the weekend and swallowed a whole £30 worth. Maybe I have a 20 gallon tank
Old 19 July 2004, 09:58 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Jasoon: Litchfield's warranty is 1 year included, then you can buy another 2 years (albeit from a 3rd party company) for just over £600 IIRC. But, buy a JDM STI and you're already getting a better car than a WR1 for £4000 less, and that pays for a lot of warranty work...
Old 19 July 2004, 10:30 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

What are the resale prices like on those cars if u trade them in after a year or two. Will u lose a shed load?
Old 19 July 2004, 10:32 PM
Monkeh
Scooby Regular

you dont need to worry about fuel until you get through £70 in a weekend
Old 19 July 2004, 10:32 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Probably, but I've no intention of selling that soon. In fact I can't imagine who buys brand new cars and sells them so soon. I can only afford new because I plan to keep the car for at least as long as my last one (4 1/2 yrs).
Old 19 July 2004, 10:39 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

I don't seem able to keep a car for very long, normally under a year, although i had my WRX for nearly 2.

Quick Reply: Need some advive on WRX STI 03