Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVLA to inspect modified cars (possibly)

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2004, 12:00 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation DVLA to inspect modified cars (possibly)

Copied from another forum I frequent. Haven't read through all the blurb, but it's currently open for comment.....

<snip>
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/public/consult/veh_inspec/vi_summary.htm

It appears that the DVLA are trying to get the right to inspect any vehicle that has modifed with regard to:
=> bodyshell
=> suspension
=> axles
=> transmission
=> steering assembly
=> engine

This is all under the pretext that the "vehicle details accurately reflect the vehicle presented for registration".

Note, deadline for response is 19 July.

As with most consultations, they've all but avoided making this aware to any of the modification industry - the nearest being notified is Halfords Ltd.
<snip>

Apologies if this is a badly driven blue submersible
Old 14 July 2004, 12:32 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think if I get the grasp of this right is that its do to with extreme modifications, like a completely different part to what was orginally fitted

Such as Chevy v8 instead of a subaru flat 4 (not sure about 2.5 engine blocks though).

Basically the car is as what it says on the tin, then it's ok

The old Land Rover clans go through alot of this when they do engine/gearbox upgrades on series Land Rovers to Range Rover components. Some vehicle were tax excempt due to age, but with too many big modifications they were no longer classified as original, so could no longer be tax excempt.

I could be completely worng though!

Also another thing is that VOSA (MOT) are clamping down on modifications as well... such as trying to enforce (E) approval marking checks on European market vehicle component. This has a big effect on UK scoobies that have Decats or modified exhausts (non PPP I presume), as aftermarket and decatted exhaust won't have an EU "E" symbol, the car could well fail an MOT!! . Currently it's just talk (thankfully) but it's something to keep an eye in the future.

Apologies if this is a badly driven blue submersible
LOL..I like that one!
Old 14 July 2004, 01:07 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

In most cases DVLA don't really care what the car is, though, provided their record is accurate. Fit a 2.5 litre engine to your scooby? Fine, just tell them you've done it so the V5 remains accurate. The kit car world (where engine swaps are common) has done this for ages.

I'm just glad my next car will be a Japanese import - the whole point of ESVA being that nothing on the car need be 'E' marked Maybe this is just the boost that the import business needs to make up for the hassle and expense of model reports...
Old 14 July 2004, 01:46 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

The VI road side inspectors already have the legal right to stop anyone and check their vehicles and give them a prohabition notice 'if' they feel the car is deemed dangerous to be driven on the road.(they even carry an official 'warrant' card on them).
I wouldn't worry about the MOT side things as yet....modifications are the least of our worries

steve
Old 14 July 2004, 04:51 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Hmm, would make sense to make sure cars are registered as they exist today, begs the question though, at what stage a car becomes something else, i'm sure there are plenty of people who've replaced almost every part on the car. Its like Triggers "my broom is 7 years old, its had 15 new heads and 20 new handles!"

But please, someone explain the "badly driven blue submersible"!
Old 14 July 2004, 06:03 PM
yet another login
Scooby Regular

He means sial