Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1yr old UK car or import. Would it matter?

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2004, 05:23 PM
scatter_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1yr old UK car or import. Would it matter?

Hi,

I'm thinking of selling my 03 wrx. Was looking at others for sale & noted a few dealers had a few examples of the same model, similar mileage for around the same price i was hoping for (approx 16k). Not the best news!

I phoned one dealer & found out the car was an import. I'm wondering if buyers would consider my car would the better option as it's a UK car, or would the dealer's import be more appealing (supposing people woud prefer to buy from a dealer than private)?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
kurt
Old 14 July 2004, 10:29 AM
scatter_wrx
Scooby Regular

BTTT
Old 14 July 2004, 02:08 PM
babybros
Scooby Newbie

Default imports

show your buyer this if its a eu import!!!http://www.topgear.com/content/my_to...ns/2003_03/04/
Old 14 July 2004, 02:18 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

My Eu STI (2003) came with a 3rd party warranty, I would hazard a guess that this is not as comprahensive as a UK Subaru warranty, plus when (if) the car goes wrong, the UK car owner only has one place/person to call, whereas the Eu bloke has to contact the garage plus the warranty company, and there the haggling would start.

For the same money I would always pick the UK warrantied car.

(But my motor was 4K cheeper)
Old 14 July 2004, 05:20 PM
kris130
Scooby Regular

My 03 STI is also a lateral import with an independant warranty. My rear suspension has been replaced last week under the independant warranty as Subaru U.K didnt want to know.
The dealer stated that because its an independant company that have paid for the work my parts are covered for three years instead of one year, which would have been the case if Subaru U.k had paid for the work.
A lot of imports were coming in from Cyprus (Due to the better exchange rates) Subaru U.K would wash their hands of them but since May 2003 the Cyprus cars now have the three year Subaru warranty.
Old 14 July 2004, 08:55 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Lots of people won't consider an import, fears over 'potential' warrenty issues and re-sale problems would put many people off which is why Subaru UK are still in business. UK car will always command a premium over an import, so if your UK is priced right to reflect its condition and history it will sell even at same money as a new import.
Old 14 July 2004, 10:04 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Of course, it's a different matter if the car isn't available in the UK. I have on order a Japanese import with all the toys that aren't on the European STI - twin scroll turbo, DCCD-A and the rest. Whilst I agree that come resale time there may be fewer potential buyers than for a UK car, I can't think of any good reason why it should be actually worth any less to those buyers. It's better than a WR1 for a whole lot less cash anyway...

Trending Topics

Old 14 July 2004, 10:09 PM
kris130
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrynO
Lots of people won't consider an import, fears over 'potential' warrenty issues and re-sale problems would put many people off which is why Subaru UK are still in business. UK car will always command a premium over an import, so if your UK is priced right to reflect its condition and history it will sell even at same money as a new import.
I got a trade in figure for my Eu import 03 sti 10 k , against a Evo recently
the figure was only £500 below a uk car of the same age and mileage.
You just have to shop around!!!

Personally I'd rather save a couple of grand over a U.K car when new to loose just £500 at trade in.
Chris
Old 15 July 2004, 01:33 PM
scatter_wrx
Scooby Regular

had no interest in it as of yet! Might try & punt it round a few dealers before dropping the price.
Old 18 July 2004, 11:53 AM
poffer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scatter_wrx
Hi,

I'm thinking of selling my 03 wrx. Was looking at others for sale & noted a few dealers had a few examples of the same model, similar mileage for around the same price i was hoping for (approx 16k). Not the best news!

I phoned one dealer & found out the car was an import. I'm wondering if buyers would consider my car would the better option as it's a UK car, or would the dealer's import be more appealing (supposing people woud prefer to buy from a dealer than private)?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
kurt
I have bought (and sold) a 2000 BMW 3 series coupe and a 2001 GT TDi golf that were both imports.2002 Discovery that was UK. BMW dealers offered £8k less than new price for the BMW sold at 6 months old! (for cash sale). sold it no probs privately at £3k below new. Golf was PX'd and made no difference import or not. Discovery made biggest loss & was UK, but I was in a hurry. I think you problem is that many buyers with £16k to spend like to go to dealers, so you have a smaller pool of buyers. If you are in no hurry, you will get a buyer eventually, just takes time.

Cheers

Pete
BTW - sorry about references to BMW & VW etc., got Scooby now and happy
Old 18 July 2004, 12:21 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by BrynO
That'll be me then....I would not touch an import,not even with an extra long extendable bargepole
Old 18 July 2004, 04:22 PM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

The real criminals in all this are the insurance companies that charge much higher premiums for some imports even though they are as cheap to repair as the UK supplied cars.

This drops the second hand value as people have more problem getting a decent quote
Old 19 July 2004, 12:40 PM
scatter_wrx
Scooby Regular

A dealer offered £13K - i politely refused.

Dropped the price down & will see if it sells in the next week. If not, i'll stump up for insurance\tax & keep it!