Sponsored by:

STi Type UK vs UK 300 vs Japanese Specs

Search this Thread

Old 13 July 2004, 12:03 AM
mf1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question STi Type UK vs UK 300 vs Japanese Specs

Currently doing a bit a background research prior to dumping my old 16v golf for a Scooby. Looking for a bit of help on what the various variants of the V7 STi and V8 STi are - I'm not sure of the differences between the Type UK and the UK 300 and also if vehicles imported from Japan have different specifications....

Any assistance from you experts in Scoobyland would be greatly appreciated to help me hunt down and choose my new steed with care.....

M.
Old 13 July 2004, 07:37 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

The UK300 is just a basic spec WRX with a fancy spoiler and different headlights. Some have the Prodrive Performance Pack and 245bhp, those without have just 215.

The STI Type UK is a different beast altogether. With a radically revised engine, suspension, brakes and interior you get 265bhp in a much more performance oriented package, plus you can add a (different) Prodrive pack to upgrade to 305bhp. With the PPP comes much improved engine flexibility and low-down torque and it's an essential upgrade IMHO.

The v7/v8 designation doesn't mean a great deal - are you referring to the difference between the MY01/02 bugeye and the 03/04 facelifted car? The earlier one came in two versions, the regular STI and the confusingly named 'Prodrive style' car, which had a bigger rear wing, different front bumper and blue coloured instruments, but no performance increase over the regular model. Despite allegedly being a limited edition, I've a feeling that most cars sold were in fact the Prodrive style version, though I actually prefer the look of the standard model.

With MY03/04 came the facelift and some suspension changes, and the two models were dropped in favour of one single European STI. Performance and handling remained largely unchanged, though, but the facelifted car is deservedly more popular and - even if you prefer the bugeye look - will probably be easier to sell on.

Meanwhile, the Japanese STI has undergone numerous revisions that have never made it to the UK. Recent cars come with DCCD-A (driver controlled centre differential), a new 'twin scroll' turbo, quick steering rack, electric folding mirrors, rear wash/wipe, HID lights, a new instrument cluster and other revisions. Some of these have finally made it to the UK on the WR1, but the engine mods in particular have never made it officially out of Japan. It's unquestionably a better car, but you need to convince yourself you can find places to service, insure and repair it. (It's not hard!)
Old 13 July 2004, 11:43 AM
mf1
Scooby Newbie

Question

Thanks Andy, thats really useful. In terms of the Japanese Specs, do they have any difference in terms of power over the UK specs?
Old 13 July 2004, 12:07 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

It's a bit hard to compare directly, because a Japanese-spec car has to be remapped for UK fuel before it'll run safely, and this affects the power output. If it's not done, you have to run on Optimax at the very least, preferably with octane booster.

That said, you can expect a Japanese STI to put out around 300-310bhp, which is about the same as a UK STI with the PPP fitted, but it also gains a fatter torque curve and revs to 8,250rpm compared with 7000(?) for the UK car.
Old 13 July 2004, 01:07 PM
WR-one
Scooby Regular

just heard from my local subaru dealer that they are now allowed to service imports.......makes the JDM route even easier now.
Old 13 July 2004, 03:29 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Really... which dealer is that? (PM me if you prefer).

Thanks
Andy.
Old 13 July 2004, 10:57 PM
mf1
Scooby Newbie

thanks again andy.