Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Upgraded from a Type R to a WR1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2004, 07:54 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Upgraded from a Type R to a WR1 ?

Interested to see if anyone has upgraded from a STI Type R version 5 or 6 to a WR1 ?

I have just upgraded and the perfornce of the WR1 is a dissapointment compared to the Type R.
Old 12 July 2004, 07:56 PM
jimmy wrx
Scooby Regular

live and learn
Old 12 July 2004, 07:59 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brian the Sn@il
Interested to see if anyone has upgraded from a STI Type R version 5 or 6 to a WR1 ?

I have just upgraded and the perfornce of the WR1 is a dissapointment compared to the Type R.
In light if this, perhaps you should change the wording of your question to -:

"Anyone CHANGED from a Type R to a WR1?"
Old 12 July 2004, 08:11 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

True but to others they may like the WR1 more than the Type R ?
Old 12 July 2004, 08:34 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Mr. Sn@il,

You have posted a couple of times about the performance not being what you expected. There shouldn't be much difference between a WR1 and the Type R but, on paper, the WR1 is slightly quicker.

If you're not getting that then mebbe you can get together with another WR1 owner and have a, erm, comparison? On a private road, of course. Or perhaps you could swap with the other driver for a few minutes to see if there is any obvious difference between them?

I think either your expectations were too high, or you have a bit of a dodgy motor.
Old 12 July 2004, 10:51 PM
THOMO
Scooby Regular

YOU CANT BEAT THE GOOD OLD TEST DRIVE!

Its just smoother and not as raw .Give it 10k you will be laughing.
Old 12 July 2004, 11:09 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I upgraded my STI Type R version 5 to a 400bhp Holden, perhaps a gnats **** slower but you can't beat the V8 rumble and the two smoking black lines that follow you everywhere. Thought long and hard about a WR1 but decided it was time for a change, however when I need a 4 door I'll be back
Run it in for 10k miles and I bet it opens up a bit, remember your typeR will have been run in nicely and you would have had years to adapt yourself to it...

Trending Topics

Old 12 July 2004, 11:24 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Plus your WR1 is a fair bit heavier than a Type R
Old 13 July 2004, 07:21 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Your WR1 can't even be run in yet. Give it time - scooby engines take at least 5000 miles to properly loosen up and start to give of their best.

If you work out the power/weight ratios, though, I doubt very much that the WR1 is quicker in a straight line - plus the new shape car is much more solid and refined than the old one so it never feels as quick.
Old 13 July 2004, 08:22 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

My STI8 absolutely flies

Oh mods.... Ooops!
Old 13 July 2004, 09:06 AM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

the problem is with take off,

Hit the throttle and wait, wait wait, for the engine to rev up to about 4000 RPM, and then you can slip the clutch to pull away.

Its been tested for turbo, spool up, torque and boost and its all where its supposed to be.

If you want to get away from a round a bout or the lights quickly you have to sit there revving at 4K rpm waiting for amber

where as the type R you could sit at tickover, floor the throttle, dump the clutch all at the same time, and you would be changing to second gear within 1/2 second. Leaving every car beside you standing.

Must be the gearing on the WR1,

I posted to see if anyone else noticed this problem, as you would not know about it unless you had previously owned a type R.
Old 13 July 2004, 09:56 AM
talizman
Scooby Regular

To be fair, you have changed from the car that is widely reputed to be the "fastest accelerating Impreza ever" to the "most powerful UK production Impreza ever".

The Type R still hold the fastest accelerating crown even with the WR1 on the scene so you may just have to accept that it is going to be as quick, nor feel as quick.
Old 13 July 2004, 11:27 AM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Wink

maybe you need your wr1 remapped ECUTEK style by tsl etc
martin
Old 13 July 2004, 12:38 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Smile

If the WR1 figures are correct then it would be as quick as the Type R.. easily!!!!
Saying that... I've seen some mad figures for the WR1, times that to put it bluntly are scarsly believable...

Figures such as 10.6 seconds to 100 are just nuts... And are in effect quicker than a Spec C and more to the point all the hard work that has gone into the type 25 would see the WR1 all over it in a "Comparison"

What the figures say is that 16 BHP and 9ft lb more equates to 2 seconds of the 0-100 time of the PPP STi... now as far as i'm aware it takes a little more than 8 bhp per tonne to increase that figure by 2 seconds , as this would see a WR1 more than 11 car lenghts in front by 100mph...

Anyhow it would be nice to see someone do a comparison on video with a STI PPP and a WR1 "effectivly the same car" but with that magic 8 bhp per tonne advantage! to see what the real difference is...

PS anyone know where i can buy 16 of those stallions for my car...?
Dazza
Old 13 July 2004, 12:44 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

The WR1 just hasnt got the low down Torque of a ECUTEK mapped Type R,
I have had talks with ECUTEK and nothing can be done unless you start modding..

The WR1 isnt slow, once it gets rolling and you are in fisrt at over 4K RPM its fine its as quick as a type R its that initial start off from a standing start, it so easily gets bogged down and you have to wait forever for the engine to recover.

You can pull away very fast if you slipp the clutch to merry hell, but the car just stinks of burnt clutch plates for the rest of the day.

Think ill buy a Pipe and a flat cap and call it a day.
Old 13 July 2004, 12:46 PM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I have a 22B (sti4) and bought a MY03STIPPP which is fairly similar to the WR1 in terms of power...and had the same thoughts as you..pulling away from standstill you needed a fair amount of clutch slip to make reasonable progress. Then once moving the added refinement just took away some of the experience for me...so I sold the bugeye and kept the type R. Wife also wouldn't drive the bugeye as she didn't like it, whilst she loves driving the 22. They are very different cars now, and I much prefer a nice 300bhp NA car to any of the new age bugeyes, mailny because of the power delivery....whilst the 'classics' are still a bloody hoot to drive
Cman
Old 13 July 2004, 01:21 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Must say my Sti PPP is the same really, I have diesel clio thats ace around town... get back in the scoob and it gets scary out of junctions... your either going glacial speed or Scotty just engaged warp factor 9... then you look a complete pr!ck with your head back pulling out like a looony for no reason!

Quite amusing though if you see someone do it... I saw a fellow scoob driver whilst in the clio... he pulled out onto the roundabout, looked at the bus looming quickly, snial paced it of the line with the worried look and then set off like he'd been kicked up the ****... too funny... I had a good chuckle knowing the reason...
Old 13 July 2004, 03:50 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Cheers Old Fart, my thoughts are the same

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
Must say my Sti PPP is the same really, I have diesel clio thats ace around town... get back in the scoob and it gets scary out of junctions... your either going glacial speed or Scotty just engaged warp factor 9... then you look a complete pr!ck with your head back pulling out like a looony for no reason!

Quite amusing though if you see someone do it... I saw a fellow scoob driver whilst in the clio... he pulled out onto the roundabout, looked at the bus looming quickly, snial paced it of the line with the worried look and then set off like he'd been kicked up the ****... too funny... I had a good chuckle knowing the reason...

LOL nail on the head there, its not just me then, looks like a re think for me then, as the round a bout story ( above ) happens all to often.

Untill it gets going you feel a right tart saying " Come on, Come On, get going you stupid car"

Oh well
Old 13 July 2004, 04:03 PM
LoneGranger
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Brian the Sn@il
Cheers Old Fart, my thoughts are the same

LOL nail on the head there, its not just me then, looks like a re think for me then, as the round a bout story ( above ) happens all to often.

Untill it gets going you feel a right tart saying " Come on, Come On, get going you stupid car"

Oh well
You would think that this is not beyond the realms of reality for Prodrive to address this issue, 333 style. - I believe Prodrive rate 325 as max reliable power - ok - couple this to a quick spooling 320 lb ft, with reasonable torque from 2000 rpm and Robert is your uncle. - Of course a 2.5 litre base would make a lot of sense, wouldnt it? - Pending a twin turbo STi version of the flat 6........
Old 13 July 2004, 04:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is definately the difference between a UK STi and a JDM STi of the same age.
Not much below 4k on a uk car, great from 1k on a JDM car
Personally id say its for emissions or the likes that the UK car feels a little "lathargic" lower down, this could well tempt you for an MY05 JDM STi next Brian??

Tony
Old 13 July 2004, 05:16 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

the japs get the best dont they
Old 13 July 2004, 06:13 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Yes, they do. As I understand it, the problem you're describing is exactly the one that's addressed by the twin scroll turbocharger fitted to all JDM STIs.

My JDM MY05 goes on the boat this week - if you can wait for it to arrive and for me to run it in, I'd be happy to do a full report
Old 13 July 2004, 10:40 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Yes, they do. As I understand it, the problem you're describing is exactly the one that's addressed by the twin scroll turbocharger fitted to all JDM STIs.

My JDM MY05 goes on the boat this week - if you can wait for it to arrive and for me to run it in, I'd be happy to do a full report
will be waiting for that report in ernest mate