New Scoobysport (Janspeed) Back Box Feedback comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 12 July 2004, 01:41 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Scoobysport (Janspeed) Back Box Feedback comparisons

Hi All

I think some of you are aware that i won the Scoobysport Back Box competition for Plus Members a few days ago

I wanted to give a balanced feedback report and comparison against other back boxes which i have had in my time with a bugeyed WRX de-cat. All the comparisons are based on the following. APS flexi head high flow up pipe, Scoobysport down pipe and centre pipes (none resonated) and of course the back boxes which i will be comparing:

Standard WRX twin exhaust (pea shooter)
STi7 single bore 3.5" tailpipe (standard)
WR Sport Back Box
TSL Firestorm
Scoobysport (Hayward & Scott)
Scoobysport (Janspeed)

Okay so you all know the "pea shooter", seems to be very restrictive and in no way does it do the flat four burble any justice. I would agree that the first mod for any Impreza owner whether it be NA or Turbo is to get rid of this unsightly back box and get something that least breathes and looks better.

This moves me on to an STi7 single bore 3.5" tail pipe. Whilst it certainly feels like the car breathes easier and you get a hint of what an Impreza should sound like. It doers give you that feeling of "something still missing". The deep burble is still missing along with the throatyness (is that a word) which is the trade mark of a Scoob.

The WR Sport back box gave me no enhanced sound over and above the standard STi7 BB other than the odd pop now and again and maybe a touch louder but i must admit that the spool up did seem a little quicker but as we all know the placebo effect can have a strange effect if things sound right.

The TSL firestorm looks really nice, full polished stainless steel with a Jap slash cut exit sporting 5" of tailpipe. The hanger arrangement is unique and i think if you like a large exit then based on looks it is a really nice piece of kit. Sadly for me this thing roars, its the loudest of the Back boxes i've tested and to be fair it should only be used if you drive your car between 8.00am to 9.00pm Monday to Friday and certainly not on a Sunday. Plus sides are the car feels very free flowing, on tick over you can hear the full effect of the flat four and when the revs are applied the car cracks into life giving an almighty howl. You really do know (and everyone else knows) that you have an Impreza. My advice is that if you have a full de-cat, think twice. If you want a really nice looking and good loud sounding back box but you have and want to keep the cats in place, you cant go far wrong with this.

The Scoobysport (H&S) back box was next on my list. This gave a much better balance over and above the previous few. The box when on gave a great flat four dugga dugga sound and when revved it seemed responsive with lots of pops and bangs from the overun The tailpipe is polished stainless steel as is the rest of it, but dulled. The car breathed as it should and when booted the car let out a huge roar and once past 4,000rpm the cabin noise was loud and a drone appeared in the cabin. Now for pops and bangs this thing was immense sometimes scaring kids and old ladies but to be fair it can get a bit much as every time you change down, pops and bangs are flying everywhere. Now again i'm not sure about the placebo effect again but when booting the car the revs seemed a little eratic and the car didnt seem to climb up the rev range smoothly, however of the previous exhausts i certainly feel this is the best compromise for sound and performance and should not be ignored

Finally the Scoobysport (Janspeed) back box. Well i recieved my BB from Scoobysport last week and once again a great many thanks to Scoobysport and SN for holding a great competition and offering a great prize. Firstly the BB comes in a huge box, completely packed with bubble wrap and packing inside. On inspection the quality of the back box is near perfection. The silencer part is highly polished aswell as the 3.5" tail pipe. The tail pipe has the Scoobysport logo etched into the pipe to give it that little half a yard more in looks. Below i have posted a few pics. I've only put this next to the old Scoobysport back box because i dont have another to show it against.

These shows the two back boxes together

This shows the superb weld quality of the new SS BB

I've tried to show the Scoobysport logo

And finally on the car

Okay so now for my thoughts on this box. Looks and quality, i've not seen anything better than this. An added bonus is that Scoobysport have eliminated the rear hanger because on the bugeye the hanger had a tendancy to hit the diff (i have to admit that i never had this problem though). Performance wise i feel this BB has everything you would want. On tick over you do get a quieter burble than the old SS one, although i would say that the burble is well timed and linear. When applying the right foot the back box becomes more grunty and responds very quickly to throttle application. Everthing is smooth and there isnt even a hint of harshness and i know i harp back to the placebo effect but i have to say that spool up and right the way through the rev range the car gave out the same linear burble making it sound reassuring as you climbed the rev counter. Levelling out at 3500 - 4000 rpm was amazing, the car, from the cabin sounded really quiet. Was this the same car that bursts into life when you boot it? it seemed to level off and say "aah okay, you're on the motorway, i'll be quiet now) and it was superb. Then when you drop down and boot it again the flat four roars out the back. It's as if the car knows when you floor it, you want growl and when you want to tootle along its willing to be a ***** cat. I have to say that everything seems to be very linear and even, certainly not a hint of eratisicm which i know can plague other boxes. I'd also like to add that although yes the BB is a little quieter, theres nothing better than hearing the whistle of the spool up now, something i've not really heard when i've had the other boxes on. Also overall the box gives a very meaty deep sound, eradicating the tinnyness of a de-cat with other boxes on

Now for the disclaimer:

I have no performance or flow figures. Obviously i can only comment on the boxes i have used and everthing i've said is purely my own opinion. Quite a few peeps over the last week have asked me to try and put together a few words on what i've thought and i've just tried to be honest.

I shall be going to the Walton Arms meet in Warrington on Thursday if anyone wishes to view / hear the back box and i will be inviting *Sonic* to take the car out aswell as he has drove it when the old BB was on. Just to make sure the placebo effect hasn't completely got me

Pete

Last edited by Buzzer; 12 July 2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12 July 2004, 02:04 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Good review Buzzer,

Sure it sounds the business.

Here is a link to some pics of my new exhaust:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=343193

Features some statements from people who have heard it further down the page.

Brian

Last edited by wrxmania; 12 July 2004 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12 July 2004, 02:07 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Interesting mate and very informative.

I currently have a Firestorm back box with TSL centre (full de-cat etc) and as you say its very loud. Sounds great on tick over and whilst tweaking the revs etc but on any kind of long jorney or when you have passengers it can be a little obtrusive. Consequently I'm looking at buying a back box that fits the criteria. Yes I want something that looks the part and sounds great so this might just be up my street.

Regards
Old 12 July 2004, 02:25 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Hi Buzzer

Great review

I'm really happy you're so pleased with it. Glad it's gone to a good home

Your comments on the performance are no surprise, the scoobysport system flows incredibly well, and as you say, in a very linear way - something that is incredibly difficult to achieve.

in terms of the noise levels, that is really great to hear. The scoobysport system is engineered for performance rather than to simply sound loud. This is why you end up with a pure quality performance sound rather than a harshness that can be found in other boxes. Some people are looking for that harshness though rather than the pure performance, so it's horses for courses.

Congratulations again.. If you wouldn't mind dropping me a note after you've had it for about a month to let me know if you're still as impressed I'd be greatful - but of course you are not obliged to do so!!

All the best

Simon
Old 12 July 2004, 02:35 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Cheers Simon

I am genuinely impressed with it. As i said, i dont know about flow rates etc etc, i just called it as i saw / heard / felt it

Many thanks again

Pete
Old 12 July 2004, 05:21 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

So how much would these boxes retail at then for a Classic if I decide to have a change?
Old 12 July 2004, 05:39 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Thumbs up

Comprehensive review. Now sell it and get a Blitz

Trending Topics

Old 12 July 2004, 05:47 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Hi RLE

The scoobysport rear silencer is £270 +VAT with FOC next working day delivery (for orders placed before midday).

Check out www.scoobysport.com for more info.

All the best

Simon
Old 12 July 2004, 06:27 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Good review Pete, glad you now appear to have the sound (in and out of cabin) you were looking for

Cant wait till the Walton Arms meet now

Ive got one or two Delta Dash logs to do for other peeps, but could do a *dyno* run if you got the bottle

S
Old 12 July 2004, 06:29 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

PMSL, i've been a passenger with you mate............................. you take it out on your own

(i'll be in the bar having a shandy)
Old 12 July 2004, 06:46 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

PMSL

And ive driven behind you, never again !!!!!!
Old 12 July 2004, 06:47 PM
Twigster Home
Scooby Regular

TBH I think it is a little unfair to compare the work H+S did from years ago with the current SS system!! Welds on both sides are now much more clean and tidy than years ago, my current H+S Jap style setup is the best i have had (and I have had the system shown above, Blitz, 5zigen, TSL and scorpion ones before I decided this was the one I liked!!). The welds are clean and crisp and certainly nothing like those shown above!

Just thought it fair to mention if we are to be doing a true comparison
Old 12 July 2004, 06:47 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Well you wouldn't of been in front of me would you

Old 12 July 2004, 06:55 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Twigster

I agree, i wasn't really trying to rubbish any of them (well perhaps the pea shooter). I just didn't have a row of back boxes to photograph. It is perhaps that it could be perceived that i'm comparing but i just wanted to show the quality of weld and finish. Some peeps would say "the weld quality is good compared to what mate". I've just tried to show something up against it as a benchmark. The old SS back box was good and its probably one of the most used and respected boxes in existence and everyone knows what one looks like.

Likewise if any of the manufacturers want to pm me and ask me to edit or delete a section then please feel free to do so. This in no way was meant to be a Witch hunt or a slanging match. When trying to give a balanced opinion, you cant help not comparing it to at least one of the "industry standards"

Sorry if i offended anyone

Last edited by Buzzer; 12 July 2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12 July 2004, 07:20 PM
Twigster Home
Scooby Regular

Not what I was saying mate!! Wasn't offended in the slightest, just wanted to be fair for all the non-educated peeps (not that there are many of them here!).

No reason why you can't do a comparison, I think it would make for genuinely interesting reading!!
Old 12 July 2004, 07:40 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting review, I was looking to get a tsl ti-phoon same as a firestorm but after reading your review i'd better not.
Old 12 July 2004, 08:08 PM
jd
Scooby Regular

Talking

i've had my scoobysport exhaust for a few weeks now, and I still smile when my foot goes down... it's my 1st mod and I love it..

Old 12 July 2004, 08:19 PM
WHY
Scooby Regular

Buzzer

Also got the same B|B, had it fitted 3 weeks ago when it was first fitted didn't sound that good but now it has settled down it is spot on, every day it seems to get better.Also doing business with Scoobysport was spot on ie - phone calls returned / delivered on time etc.

Mark W
Old 12 July 2004, 08:40 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

I had a janspeed ss bb on my sti03 for a wk or 2. Sounded nice I thought the 3.1/2" pipe looked a little small on the back of the new shape. Tried a firestorm which imho looked silly, now got a tsl 4" grp N which does not look bad imho

s
Old 12 July 2004, 08:48 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
I had a janspeed ss bb on my sti03 for a wk or 2. Sounded nice I thought the 3.1/2" pipe looked a little small on the back of the new shape. Tried a firestorm which imho looked silly, now got a tsl 4" grp N which does not look bad imho

s
I know what u mean when u say "3.1/2" pipe looked a little small on the back of the new shape", its a shame that scoobysport don't do a 4"-5" pipe to suit the newage cars. i deff think that scoobyworlds/H&S Afterburner Vortex looks the business on the back of a newage!
Old 12 July 2004, 08:55 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Hi Chaps

Thanks for all the comments.. feel quite proud

Thank you

Simon
Old 12 July 2004, 09:12 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Yes i saw a bugeye at the NBO and that had an Afterburner Vortex on and i must admit it did look nice

.............. but i haven't heard one though
Old 12 July 2004, 09:19 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Question

Anybody got any sound clips ?
I've still got the standard pea shooter and am looking to buy one of these or the WRsport one.

Chris
Old 12 July 2004, 09:24 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Chris

I considered it but to be honest, its all lost in the recording. The best way is to get yourself to a meet and listen to a few

There are a few wav files floating about here i think but you'll never get "the sound". Then again i may be wrong
Old 12 July 2004, 09:38 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Agreed Buzzer.

I've tried all sorts to get an accurate sounding clip.. but failed miserably.

Cheers

Simon
Old 13 July 2004, 12:32 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Buzzer

and it'll probably get louder as the packing beds in / gets blown out the back...

I've just had PPP fitted on my MY02 and with the centre decat it's seemed quieter than my old WR Sport b/box - it's starting to get a bit more throaty now
Old 13 July 2004, 09:51 AM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Excellent Apple

I had banked on the BB to take time to "bed in". Which is why i think Simon wants feedback on the box in say a months time

I think a few good squirts of the throttle over the next few weeks will bed it in nicely

I remember the Firestorm when it bedded in
Old 13 July 2004, 01:59 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Mmm £270.00 plus Vat. Might be getting a call mate. Can't imagine the TSL one would be hard to sell on.

If I have a TSL centre this wouldn't cause a problem to fitting?
Old 13 July 2004, 02:04 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

No it will fit perfectly
Old 13 July 2004, 02:12 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

RLE

We'll look forward to hearing from you.

I'm jumping on a plane later for rally argentina, so if you can't get me, feel free to contact one of our dealers (the price is exactly the same)..

www.scoobysport.com (click "main dealers")

All the best

Simon

Quick Reply: New Scoobysport (Janspeed) Back Box Feedback comparisons