Sponsored by:

Wifes car T boned - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 01:33 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wifes car T boned - advice needed

Someone T bones my wifes car badly this week 100% their fault- front suspension pushed in, wing and 2 doors destroyed, A and B post pushed in, 3k WORTH OF DAMAGE. Now im feeling stung as i have now got to sell the car when its fixed for less than market value and if the insurance goes up simply because theres an accident on her record as well its disgusting.
I asked the insurer (Tesco) whether they would compensate me for the market value loss but they dont seem to have any mechanism for that. I would like the car written off or for them to take it off my hands for market value or build in a compensation figure so i can sell the car without losing out financially.
I have thought of claiming in a civil court against the other driver for compensation - can anyone offer any advice?
Old 08 July 2004, 01:56 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by WRBlu
Now im feeling stung as i have now got to sell the car when its fixed for less than market value and if the insurance goes up simply because theres an accident on her record as well its disgusting.

I have thought of claiming in a civil court against the other driver for compensation - can anyone offer any advice?
Forget it.

The other driver is responsible for any injuries (hope that there are none by the way) and the market value of the vehicle. The fact is that if it is deemed repairable then those repairs will be covered by a warranty which should raise the value of the car again. (You may notice a small difference between the legal world and the REAL world here)

If your wifes insurance company wish to increase the cost of her premiums simply due to the fact that she had a "no fault" accident, complain get them to put it in writing that the increase is due to this and include it as part of the claim. Don't rush in to a settlement, certainly when injuries are involved.
If they will do this for you then you MIGHT just get lucky.
Old 08 July 2004, 03:41 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Usually, it wont be recorded as being in an accident unless written off. Mine wasn't recorded - but i later found tell-tale signs when the front was stripped for some wiring.
Old 08 July 2004, 05:21 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife had exactly the same accident in my Vectra(what was new at the time),i sold the car before the claim was settled(100% 3rd party's fault),i also put in a claim for loss of value with the 3rd party's insurers and they gave me about £1500
Just ask your insurers solicitors to see if they can put a diminuation claim for you.It worked for me.
I feel that this is a justifiable type of claim compaired to the hugh amount of non-genuine whip-lash claims.(even though my missus did genuinely get minor whip-lash,they also payed out about £1500 for it without many hastles)

easy
Old 09 July 2004, 12:42 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies
yes thats precisely what i was thinking im sure people do claim whiplash to recover what you are going to lose when you sell the car but it is much abused and you shouldnt have to do it. Insurers should have a mechanism more readily available to handle this. I will write to my insurer saying i am going to sell the car immediately on completion of repairs and want them to claim on the 3rd party for any diminuation loss I suffer.

Last edited by WRBlu; 09 July 2004 at 12:48 PM.