Sponsored by:

URGENT- Dutch plates???

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2000, 04:09 PM
davidw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I was supposed to be pick up my new Scooby tomorrow but have just heard that the registration documents, number plate and tax have not been arrived

The car is registered in Holland in my name and is issured on the chassis number.

Am I allowed to drive the car in the UK without Tax? The car currently has ZZ plates will this cause any problems?

The DVLA offices are now closed so I can't check with anyone. Please help!!!
Old 07 July 2000, 04:24 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

'ZZ' plates are OK to use provided you have a valid certificate of insurance.

However, as soon as the new documents & tax come through the post put them on. 'ZZ' plates do attract the attention of TWOCcers.
Old 07 July 2000, 04:31 PM
Tal
Scooby Regular

Smile

When I imported mine I did everything with the DVLA when I returned with the car on ZZ plates. It is usual and quite legal as I know of dozens who have done the same. Any probs drop me a mail. You will have to get temp registration from your dealer, who are you using I used Gertjan Van der Velde and saved EIGHT THOUSAND POUNDS all in !!

Tal

Tal.go@virgin.net
Old 07 July 2000, 04:32 PM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

If you have the ZZ plates sorted, then you must have got the car registered in Holland.

If you are talking about the UK registration, then you can't normally arrange that until you get the car back to the UK. Are you trying to sort this out ahead of time?

You are allowed to drive on the ZZ plates in the UK to get the car back to your home. You are then not supposed to drive the car again until you've registered the car with your local VRO.
Old 07 July 2000, 04:35 PM
davidw
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Thanks for the response.

I did finally manage to contact the DVLA but the news is not good

The car was imported for me by a dealer. I need to drive the car from the dealer to my home.

The DVLA said I am only allowed to drive from the port of entry to my home, so it's a no go I'm afraid.

All I can do is hope the registration papers have dropped through my letter box today and I can get it tomorrow.

I WANT MY CAR!!!!!
Old 07 July 2000, 04:36 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Hmm... This crops up regularly on the ImportingImprezas list. The official line is:

"You cannot drive the vehicle on the public road until you receive a tax disc (road fund licence) from the Vehicle Registration Office, which must then be displayed on the windscreen. Also the vehicle must display registration number plates" (from the DVLA themselves)

However, I don't know of anyone who has been stopped. You can legally drive the car to the destination on the temporary registration form, that much is certain. How many detours you make until you get there is up to you.

StuartH: didn't know that 'bout TWOCers. Do the buggers know that they come without alarms, or is it more simple insofar as an unregistered car only needs to have an invoice forged and you've got a new car?
Old 07 July 2000, 04:55 PM
Stuart H
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by chiark:
<B>StuartH: didn't know that 'bout TWOCers. Do the buggers know that they come without alarms, or is it more simple insofar as an unregistered car only needs to have an invoice forged and you've got a new car?[/quote]

Got it in one. Little bast*rds!