Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RB5 residuals.... opinions invited.

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2004, 08:42 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RB5 residuals.... opinions invited.

Since I advertised my RB5 for sale recently, I've paid particular attention to the used RB5 scene.

I bought Auto Trader (Scottish) on Friday and there are 2 private examples -:

1) Non WR version with 75,000 miles, standard - £10,000
2) Non WR version with 39,000 miles, exhaust + remap - £14,995

A quick trawl of Proven Used Subarus reveals there are 2 across the UK -:

1) Non WR version with 35,000 miles, standard - £14,495
2) Non WR version with 79,000 miles, standard - £14,995

Now, these prices (bar the first one) would suggest that RB's are holding their value well and are in demand. This is proven by the quick turnaround the dealer cars have. (assuming they are selling them and not trading them on)

This brings me to my point......

Why hasn't my car been grabbed from me at the first opportunity?

It is the full cooking WR sport version with 39k miles and 9 dealer service stamps.
Thousands of pounds worth of extras are included also; OZ Prodrive 18's, godspeed brakes, TSL group N system etc etc etc, yet it is still sitting on my drive.

Actually, the car has been "sold" twice, and subsequently fallen through. Timewasters!
On top of that, I have received no end of insulting offers for the car.
I appreciate that people may table a low offer in the off chance that they might grab themself a bargain, but I did put OVNO in my advert, emphasis on the "v"!

Question:
What is RB5 # 378 worth?
Advert here
My asking price was £14,295 ono, which changed to offers in region of £14k.

Bear in mind that non WR versions (£2750 less when new) are asking a grand more than mine, some with higher miles, all with zero extras.

Your thoughts?
Old 13 June 2004, 08:50 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can i ask why you changed the alloys?

the rb5 is distinctive because of the paint colour and alloys.
Old 13 June 2004, 08:51 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by talizman

Bear in mind that non WR versions (£2750 less when new) are asking a grand more than mine, some with higher miles, all with zero extras.

Your thoughts?
Asking but are they getting
Old 13 June 2004, 09:00 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

can i ask why you changed the alloys?

the rb5 is distinctive because of the paint colour and alloys.
The alloys were changed by Elmer Fudpucker before I bought it from him, and IMHO look 100 times better!

Asking but are they getting
In short, yes.

Like I said in my original post, I check Subaru.co.uk regularily for used RB5's and there is a fairly regular trnaround of examples for sale.
I personally can't see a dealer trading them on, unless they have lay for months and months, and I also don't see them discounting anything more than say £500 off of the asking price.

IMHO of course.
Old 13 June 2004, 10:03 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Mine has been up for sale for 4 weeks or so now and still hasnt sold.Non WR version with 35k miles,was 14k reduced to 12.5k ,even asked for offers ,but still no takers.The car is mint,so where are the buyers ?????

Going to throw in a night with the wife to buyer or full tank of fuel!!!!!!
Take the fuel fellas.
Old 13 June 2004, 10:05 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Going to throw in a night with the wife to buyer
SOLD!

Now, what am I going to do with 2 RB's?
Old 13 June 2004, 10:18 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I'm honest, I wouldn't buy a 14 grand car from a private seller. Buying from a trader would give me at least a 6 month guaranty and maybe even more.

Bottom line is that if your car isn't selling when others are, then it is over-priced.

Good luck anyway.

Suresh
Old 13 June 2004, 10:18 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

SOLD!

Now, what am I going to do with 2 RB's?
LOL,I take it u want the fuel!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13 June 2004, 10:20 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
If I'm honest, I wouldn't buy a 14 grand car from a private seller. Buying from a trader would give me at least a 6 month guaranty and maybe even more.

Bottom line is that if your car isn't selling when others are, then it is over-priced.

Good luck anyway.

Suresh
A warranty is only about £400 for a year so 12.5k plus cost of warrenty is still cheaper than u would get it from a dealer for.
Old 13 June 2004, 10:23 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Suresh
I think Suresh has a point. Could you get a dealer to stick it on his forecourt to sell on a commission basis? You should end up with more than he'd offer to buy it off you for, and you'd be much more likely to sell it...

Last edited by WR1 Wannabe; 13 June 2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 13 June 2004, 10:30 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

I disagree.
Look how many cars for sale threads are littered with "bttt's".....
Surely all these cars aren't overpriced.....

Could you get a dealer to stick it on his forecourt to sell on a commission basis? You should end up with more than he'd offer to buy it off you for, and youd be much more likely to sell it
I honestly thought that the best chance of selling my car would be to the Scooby community where it is very well known and reputed to be one of the best....
Old 13 June 2004, 10:36 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1 Wannabe
I think Suresh has a point. Could you get a dealer to stick it on his forecourt to sell on a commission basis? You should end up with more than he'd offer to buy it off you for, and you'd be much more likely to sell it...
I have done this,but not sold as yet.
Old 14 June 2004, 12:06 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Talizman,

Best wishes in selling the car but if you want somme additional and maybe unwelcome comments here goes........

You can now buy an my99 for around the £8500 mark, add PPP and they will be around the £9500 mark. A PPP my99 and an RB5WR in principal are the same car all bar the Spoiler and the RB5 refinments. Even though we know your/Elmer and formally my car is an exceptional example the modifications in my opinion add very little financial value to the car and for the purists out there the modifications that have been done may put potential buyers off, some people don't like to buy modified cars and some will feel the RB5 "Limited" factor has been tarnished by the badging, wheel changes etc.

With the Bugeye STI dropping in price, the P1's coming into the 16k area, to pay £14k plus for a 5 year old RB seems a bit much. I think a realstic price is around the £12 mark as I have seen a few non WR and WR versions for sale around £11k. You can either leave as advertised and wait for the right buyer to come along or take a hit and bail now. With more and more performance cars being stolen, car jacked, houses broken into, bad press etc etc many people will be priced out of the insurance premium and thus having yet another impact on pricing.

Best wishes on the sale and I still have a picture of the baby on my wall.
Old 14 June 2004, 12:14 PM
Civic Type R
Scooby Regular

I want it badly !!! But the GF doesn't although I could just go against her and lose my 'nads. TBH I think the mods are sensible and I would give my left nut for it. Went for a drive in the revised Civic yesterday though and fell in lurve ! Got offered a great trade-in but the bottom line is I want a Scoob

Motorpoint will sell you a standard WRX for £16k these days !

Short for time, hence random comments - good luck with sale John

Calum
Old 14 June 2004, 12:16 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

RB5WR in principal are the same car
Scooby doo I know what your saying but that car is a long way differn't from a MY99 if only for the fact it is a ltd edition.
The problem may be that the mods can be a little too much for some ppl IMHO you could sell all the aftermarket parts and still sell the car for a very similar price and make more in the long run.

I've got a Box full of my standard parts that when the car is sold it will have orange indicators ,full cat and standard ECU. This isn't to hide the past of the car (RR map is in the folder with my Service history) but I will return around £600 - £800 for my parts and sell the car for £12 - £13K
Old 14 June 2004, 12:19 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Who asked you to stick you nose in Black

Have you been on Toca recently ? I have become an addict on Top Spin although I am rubbish !!!! Do you play Links ?
Old 14 June 2004, 12:22 PM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

::::::ff Topic ::::::

been working lots so I've only been playing once or twice in the last month. Got a good Toca Ranking and scared to lose it Haven't played topspin or links but might rent them for a try.
Old 14 June 2004, 12:38 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Scooby-Doo,

I appreciate what you are saying, but buyers understand the principle of a Limited Edition commanding a higher premium over the car on which it is based.

Take the P1 for example.....

An STi V5 Type R can be bought for £12-£13k.
A MY00 P1 will cost you £5k more.

Now, the Type R is actually a better kitted car (DCCD, folding mirrors etc), but hasn't got the exclusivety of the P1 badge.

Just the way it is I suppose.

or the purists out there the modifications that have been done may put potential buyers off
Its only a set of wheels ffs!

Seriously though, I don't consider them "modifications", I like to think of them as, "extras" that can be removed for the purist.

I think a realstic price is around the £12 mark
It ain't going nowhere for that money!

You can either leave as advertised and wait for the right buyer to come along or take a hit and bail now.
I'm not desperate so won't be "taking a hit".

With more and more performance cars being stolen
Car crime is actually at one of the lowest levels in years thanks to trackers, blackjax, CAT 1 alarms etc.
Early 90's was the killer..... insurance is cheap as chips these days (relatively speaking)

Motorpoint will sell you a standard WRX for £16k these days !
£16,599 + OTR costs
= £17.5k

Cheers for the input guys.
Old 14 June 2004, 12:55 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

I was flicking through the autotrader colour section whilst at a agarage at the weekend. There were 2 rb5's in there (I think it was either midlands or east anglia as the sell both round here).

Now what struck me was th rb5 wr sport was 14995, had 43k i think. On the very next advert was a bug eye sti at 15995, with 49k, and a p1 at 16500. I know what you are saying about limited editions, but a car is only worth what someone will pay for it.

And the RB allthough looks nice isnt in the same league as a sti7 or p1 for similiar money. Somone looking at spending 14-15 will be looking at prices in the 16s also.

comapring to dealer prices you will never sell the car privately near their price, people are lazy and like trading cars in for their next one as private selling is a hassle. To make it worth their while you need to be around 2k less than the forecourt price imo.

good luck with the sale.
Old 14 June 2004, 01:34 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

As much as I love the classic (got one myself ) ,£14k plus is a bit steep when you consider that the new 'blob eye ' shapes are starting to change hands for near to 15k(with warranty left ). I know the rb5 is a limited edition , but lets face it our classics are starting to look a little dated in comparison and can be picked up for around the £4k mark for an old (potentialy bag of nails ) one . All this is just my observation of course and I wish you all the best in selling what looks like a great example .

Dave
Old 14 June 2004, 02:09 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

£14k plus is a bit steep when you consider that the new 'blob eye ' shapes are starting to change hands for near to 15k
I'm willing to bet money that in 10 years time, my RB5 will be worth MUCH more than the blob eyes that you refer to!
Old 14 June 2004, 02:19 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

I'm willing to bet money that in 10 years time, my RB5 will be worth MUCH more than the blob eyes that you refer to!
talisman , I would agree with you 100% , but you are narrowing your market right down to ' enthusiasts' , I just think that your average 'Joe' on the street who knows his 0 to 60 times but has never lifted the bonnet in his life will weigh up 14k for a 5 year old car or 15k for a 1 1/2 year old current shape model , and not really give much thought to 10 years down the line . I wish it were different though for all of us 'classic owners'

Good luck

Dave
Old 14 June 2004, 02:25 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

You've hit the nail right on the head, In The Sticks!

My car is aimed at a target audience of enthusiasts, hence why it is for sale on the biggest enthusiast forum for Scoobys!

I do not expect a 'Joe' to show any interest in my car for the reasons you quite rightly state.

If I were offered a MY02 bugeye, or my car for the same price, there is ABSOLUTELY no contest!

The bugeye may have warranty left and be a few years younger but I know which car I (an enthusiast! ) would choose!
Old 14 June 2004, 09:08 PM
RB5201
Scooby Regular

If the wheels are that much of a problem to people I can offer you some cash and my original RB5 wheels in part exchange. Dont think the mods will be putting people off, as they are not that extreme or OTT. Have you got it in auto trader or similar, my only thought is people new to scoobys looking for their first one may not be aware of this site, and maybe focusing theirs searches elsewhere, like me 6 months ago!
Old 14 June 2004, 10:01 PM
cheddar bob
Scooby Regular

another thing to consider talizman is the majority of potential buyers under 25 might no longer be able to get insured on any Impreza turbo now. A lot of companies have introduced this rule in the last month or two as i've spent a long time today finding out!