Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4/5 sti type r or version 7 sti (import)?

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2004, 05:44 PM
type R boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4/5 sti type r or version 7 sti (import)?

I will soon be purchasing my first scoob, , but I'm unsure which one to go for. I have been looking at both the version 4/5 sti type R or a version 7 sti (import) and would appriate any views on both (ie, performance, looks, future modification potential etc.)

Thanks,

type r boy
Old 07 June 2004, 06:48 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Your going to get a biased comment off me. Performance wise the Type R will have the edge, they look stunning, are rare and distinctive, they will come with a few more toys such as DCCD.
Performance modifications should roughly be the same.

simb
Old 07 June 2004, 06:57 PM
type R boy
Scooby Regular

Thanks, as you can see from the name i also lean towards the type R because of its rarity, 2 dr body, i just didnt want to rule everything out before delving into my hard earned.

type r boy.
Old 07 June 2004, 07:00 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by type R boy
I will soon be purchasing my first scoob, , but I'm unsure which one to go for. I have been looking at both the version 4/5 sti type R or a version 7 sti (import)
Eh? All STi7's are imports.

and would appriate any views on both (ie, performance, looks, future modification potential etc.)
Depends what you want really. Little to be said about looks, beauty's in the eye of the beholder and you obviously know what they look like.

Is there any specific reason why you're not including the STi6 Type R or Type RA, as the 6 is arguably the best of the classic shape cars.

The Version 4 has the phase 1 engine, and the ECU can't be remapped via the EcuTeK method, which may be a downer as far as easy mod potential is concerned.

V5/6 STi Type R's are much of a muchness, both very good, lighter than the newer shape cars.

The STi7, assuming you get the GL model with DCCD, has the same differentials as the 5/6, but you get the six speed box and better brakes, plus the bigger intercooler, newer VF30 (or 34) turbo and so-on. Downside is that you also get best part of 200kg extra weight, so while you may be able to get a little bit more power out of one of these for a given modification budget, on the road you need quite a bit more to make it feel as quick as a classic.

At end of day you'll probably be happy no matter which way you jump. More than anythng it's a case of working out what you want to do with the car and picking the one that fits closest to your needs and budget.
Old 07 June 2004, 07:01 PM
simb 2
Scooby Regular

Location: South Wales - Stuck on this rollercoaster, get me off!!

Originally Posted by type R boy
Thanks, as you can see from the name i also lean towards the type R because of its rarity, 2 dr body, i just didnt want to rule everything out before delving into my hard earned.

type r boy.

That was a clue

simb
Old 07 June 2004, 07:26 PM
type R boy
Scooby Regular

I had been told that the stiR4 was the best 1 to go for, but hadnt really been given any reasons, and odviously the stiR5 because of the way it looks. I have a budget off about 15000 and all stiR6 i have seen have exceeded this, not really intrested in the RA because off the 4 drs. But was considering the sti7 because off the kit it has over the classic shape and because i had been offered 1 for about 12000.

type r boy