Sponsored by:

Brand new Subaru...handling question

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2004, 04:16 PM
LozSTiV8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new Subaru...handling question

Hi, I am new to Subarus and just wanted some advice.

I have just bought a WRX STI Version 8 Type UK. It is brand new on a 04 reg and is quite a nice car. Just wondering if anyone out there has the same concerns as me with the handling. It seems quite tail happy on bends...it just does not feel as stuck to the road as my old Audi TT used to be. Has anyone experienced this or is it just my driving??

Old 07 June 2004, 04:20 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Mine usually understeer's 1st, then the ltd-slip diff kicks in, but the only time I had a "tail happy " moment was when I had a slow puncture and didn't realise it.

Have you checked the type pressures?
Old 07 June 2004, 04:24 PM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

I'm no expert when it comes to handling and car dynamics, but could it be the driving? Are you lifting off mid corner? That would unsettle the car and make the back feel funny, could end in a big off too!

Apart from that , I agree check tyres and pressures....What wheels/tyres have you got?

Old 07 June 2004, 04:35 PM
LozSTiV8
Scooby Regular

I have it running totally standard wheels etc and the car is a WRX STI Version 8 Type UK. I think to be honest it could be my driving.....the first time I drove it I found that it turns in quicker than my TT, when I say that I mean that when I turn the steering it feels like I dont have to turn it as much as the TT to get arond the corner and that immediately results in turning in too quickly. I must admit that it does not feel solid on the bends so I have been holding the power as opposed to putting the power down because it does not feel like it is going to hold on. I suppose having had my TT and until a month ago I also had a 400bhp rear wheel drive Sapphire Cosworth so it could just be down to me having to adjust my driving style....I just wanted to hear from other owners to see how they feel theirs handle.

Old 07 June 2004, 04:40 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

sounds like you just have to get used to 4wd handling. Lifting off mid corner would certainly make my car unsettled.... it is a 4 door salon remember, the TT has a lower center of gravity, so prob would not be a fussy.
Old 07 June 2004, 04:44 PM
LozSTiV8
Scooby Regular

true......I suppose I should just get to learn the cars limitations and tendancies......then go MENTAL!!!!

Any suggestions on power upgrades?? Was going to get it Prodrived but 2k sounds a lot of money for only 40bhp

Old 07 June 2004, 04:51 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

But It's not just the 40bhp mate....

The torque is increased too, making the car much less "laggy" in the 2-3k mark
Old 07 June 2004, 05:12 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LozSTiV8
I have it running totally standard wheels etc and the car is a WRX STI Version 8 Type UK.

Lol, there's no such thing. If you're going to give the MY04 cars a number, they're version 10's. Where did you get the idea it was an "8"?

I think to be honest it could be my driving.....

Could also be the fact that you're not driving the hairdresser's special anymore.
Impreza's 4WD system is very different to the one fitted to the TT. The TT has a pronounced FWD power bias, the Impreza's is much more even, and it has the Suretrak mechanical front diff as well, which can feel a bit weird at first.

I must admit that it does not feel solid on the bends so I have been holding the power as opposed to putting the power down because it does not feel like it is going to hold on.

It's probably modulating the throttle mid bend that's making it feel twitchy. Suppose it could be worse, in that at least you're not lifting off completely, but you're probably still transferring some weight to the front of the car. The front diff on those cars seems to work best if you keep your foot planted too, so try entering the corner a bit slower then accelerating hard round and out of it
Old 07 June 2004, 05:29 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Remember slow in, fast out!

You'll soon get the hang of it
Old 07 June 2004, 05:51 PM
BradN
Scooby Regular

I have an STi8 too. Only time I notice the back move is lifting mid corner (or roundabout). Did this going too fast in the wet and went completely sideways. Now I keep the power on and make sure I don't go in too fast. Just changed the tyres for Goodyear Eagle F1s and the cars much more confidence inspiring in the wet.
Old 07 June 2004, 09:22 PM
scoobypet
Scooby Regular

Smile

The car will probably need it's geom settings done as you've more than likely got the wheels pointing all over the place!!!
33psi front & 31 rear is a good compromise.
Eagle F1's definitely improve things & the Prodrive eibachs or Normal Eibachs make a big difference too.
Did your Audi have all these things sorted? Outrageous behaviour Don't these boring Germans understand the need for modifications the second you drive it off the forecourt?
Old 07 June 2004, 09:30 PM
Shortboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
[/size]
Lol, there's no such thing. If you're going to give the MY04 cars a number, they're version 10's. Where did you get the idea it was an "8"?
Nothing gets past that Greasemonkey.
Old 07 June 2004, 09:35 PM
WR1 Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
If you're going to give the MY04 cars a number, they're version 10's. Where did you get the idea it was an "8"?
I'm sure you are right gm, but there's no need to ridicule the guy. Any search on the 'Net will show you where he gets the idea from. Many people (most?) refer to the last classic shape (?) as a 6, the Bugeye as a 7 and the latest as an 8. Although you can find references to a version 9, there is nothing yet referred to as a version 10, according to Google.

So it's an easy mistake to make.
Old 07 June 2004, 09:50 PM
STILee
Scooby Regular

Don't go any other route than a Prodrive upgrade as anything else will invalidate your warranty... I have an STi8 and found if pushed hard enough you get mild understeer, then oversteer but it's quite easily controlled on the throttle...
Old 07 June 2004, 10:14 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WR1 Wannabe
I'm sure you are right gm, but there's no need to ridicule the guy.
I wasn't ridiculing Loz, I was asking him a question. The only slight pisstake in my post was the reference to the TT as the hairdresser's special.

Many people (most?) refer to the last classic shape (?) as a 6,
Which could be something to do with the fact that the last classic shape STi was actually called the Version VI.

the Bugeye as a 7 and the latest as an 8.
...which is the collective error, and yes, I know there are many people who make it.

Although you can find references to a version 9, there is nothing yet referred to as a version 10, according to Google.
Folk used to say the earth was flat. Didn't make it so. In reality the new age STi's don't officially have these numbers at all, so the most accurate way to refer to a 2004MY STi Type UK is, as a 2004MY STi Type UK.

However, if you are going to continue the numbering logic established by the classic shape cars, the 2001MY (JDM only) STi's are "7", 2002MY are "8", 2003MY "9" and 2004MY is "10", hence my original comment.

This is also the system used by Prodrive and STi when numbering the rallycars, and thus is the one with any sort of factual legitimacy.

So it's an easy mistake to make.
It is, but it's only when someone makes it that the nature of the error can be pointed out.
Old 08 June 2004, 09:31 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

LOL

and here the lesson end'th

Old 08 June 2004, 10:53 AM
LozSTiV8
Scooby Regular

guys,

Thanks for all the help and none of the comments were taken in any manner other than appreciated as helpful. My mate told me it was a version 8, I did not really know. I have always been into Cosworths but they are just too dated now and the Focus RS is not as nice as the new Subaru so I have jumped ships and am pleased I have.

I love the car and I took it out last night to the bend I stepped it out on and pushed it hard around there and kept my foot on the power, the car felt like it was going to let go but it never, in fact it never budged and probably could have taken it much quicker.

I will check my tyre pressures tonight and see what it shows me.

Another thing.....I took it down the motorway last night at very high speed to see what it could do but stopped short of flat out because of all the movement from the bonnet.....it looked like it was going to pop up but when I checked it I could see that it was down fully......could this be because it is lightweight and made from aluminium??

thanks again everyone for all your help and comments.....it is making me feel very welcome.....and it is nice that nobody has tried to slaughter me like an idoit which is what would have happened on the RS owners site...full of muppets thinking their cars were amazing....til I took my mint 40k (genuine mileage) 400bhp Sapphire to a show once and it put most cars to shame....made better by the fact that they all sit there day in day out cleaning and polishing and think they are better than everyone...they drive them cars like they are being run in......and then there was me....used to get it washed once a week by the little foreign guy at the shopping centre for a fiver on a saturday and would get the kids to hoover it out on a weekend for a quid (cant beat child labour!!!) and then when I went out in it I would be stepping the **** end out all over the place and doing donuts...and it was still nicer than theirs!!!!!

Never mind.....let them prats get on with thinking that they are better than everyone else.....I am with the Subaru guys now!!!!
Old 08 June 2004, 11:09 AM
STILee
Scooby Regular

And very welcome you are.......
Old 08 June 2004, 11:56 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LozSTiV8
Never mind.....let them prats get on with thinking that they are better than everyone else.....I am with the Subaru guys now!!!!
You may want to edit that remark and any other derogatory remark referring to RS people! There are a lot of RS people who use this board including me - I have a cossie as does one of the Webmasters.
Old 08 June 2004, 12:07 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

Originally Posted by Redkop
You may want to edit that remark and any other derogatory remark referring to RS people! There are a lot of RS people who use this board including me - I have a cossie as does one of the Webmasters.
Why dont you edit it yourself, you seem quite handy at it.
Old 08 June 2004, 12:10 PM
cheeky69er
Scooby Regular

You had a 400bhp Saphire Cossy and you're moaning that the new Scooby feels "tail happy"?

Thats strange.
Old 08 June 2004, 12:16 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

I came into STI ownership from an R32, the R32 and TT must be very similar, the R32 having a TT rack fitted. Remember that these cars are set up to understeer, understeer is the safest mode, I find my STi very neutral when compared to the Golf. It is easy when pushing the TT to put on that little bit of extra lock and push the front. No need in the Subaru it has a higher ratio rack than the TT and is not predominantly FWD. The steering also has much more feel and no VW/Audi slack built in.......... try waggling the wheel on a straight road in a VW then try a Subaru...........
Dont oversteer the thing point it where you want it to go and it will reward you. Just love mine ......................
Old 08 June 2004, 01:48 PM
LozSTiV8
Scooby Regular

here we go again.....the threads being misread. Basically I love cossies and most cossie owners. What I was saying is that (and you know this is true) there was a huge tendancy on the RS site for RS owners to get involved and ruin threads by being idiots and putting stupid comments in belittling people for no apparent reason and many times when you were asking questions people would come back to try to help you and then someone else would come in slating them for that.....this is not right. I apologise if I offended anyone as it was not my intention but that is how it is on the RS site....like when you are selling cars and everyone slates them....that kind of thing.

Also with regards to having a 400bhp Sapphire (RWD too!!!) and saying that the Subaru felt tail happy. What I was saying is that I was worried about the Subaru feeling tail happy and just wanted other peoples opinions to make sure that there was not something wrong with my car or to see if I was doing something wrong. I was not slateing subarus and 2wd cossies are meant to be tail happy but the Subaru is 4wd and therefore not meant to be tailhappy.....I just wanted to see if I was doing anything wrong and by the sounds of things I was....it was just down to me driving my car and using my cossie and TT experiences as a base on how to drive my subaru.