Sponsored by:

Motorshow - No WR1

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2004, 11:22 AM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorshow - No WR1

Thought Subaru would have had their newest model on display?! Was very disappointed not to see it there. The Evo on the stand opposite was nice though. The MR340.
Old 07 June 2004, 12:42 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

I agree, i was looking forward to seeing Subarus latest model, especially after seeing the Evo MR 340, which is some evil looking beast.
However the shiney blue wrx sti still looked impressive.
Old 07 June 2004, 12:58 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I was there yesterday. The reason they gave was that all WR1s have been sold, so there was no point!
Old 07 June 2004, 01:15 PM
KaraK
Scooby Regular

Yeah I complained to them about it - and was told there wasnt much point as they had all been sold and there was no point in showing something people couldnt buy.
Old 07 June 2004, 01:30 PM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

Quote - KaraK - Yeah I complained to them about it - and was told there wasnt much point as they had all been sold and there was no point in showing something people couldnt buy.

People go to the motor-show to look at "dream cars" knowing that certain cars are out of there price range.... I think the Subaru WR1 might come into that Category for some people?

Even if Subaru had sold all the WR1's still nice to be able to see one in the real world & dream

What are all your thoughts regarding this????
Old 07 June 2004, 01:31 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProdriveSTI
People go to the motor-show to look at "dream cars" knowing that certain cars are out of there price range.... I think the Subaru WR1 might come into that Category for some people?
Think you might find the WRC car was doing that job on the Subaru stand.
Old 07 June 2004, 02:01 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

The WR1 should have been there. WRC cars aren't dream cars because you can't really get hold of one and then drive it on the road. I know a lot of non-scooby people that were disappointed that the WR1 wasn't there. I would have loaned them mine if Subaru had asked around for one to use. They don't really seem to care about creating the right impression at the moment though so I guess we should let them continue to make a mess of things!

Trending Topics

Old 07 June 2004, 04:19 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

IMHO it would have looked silly to have the WR1 on the stand, only to tell people it was no longer for sale. Especially as you could then walk the 15 yds to the Mitsubishi stand and see the Evo VIII MR FQ-340 available to order.

They did show the WR1 at the Autosport show back in Jan.

What they really need is a full production WR1 spec. Impreza, but that's another debate
Old 07 June 2004, 05:42 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Put the WR1 next to the STi and whos going to want to buy the STi? Then they'll be pissed that they cant buy the WR1.
Old 07 June 2004, 05:56 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Put the WR1 next to the STi and whos going to want to buy the STi? Then they'll be pissed that they cant buy the WR1.
From what I've seen there isn't much in it between an Sti with all the toys and the WR1, for now at least.....

The WR1 spec will become the revised STi Spec I reckon as the sun sets on the Impreza range as we currently know it.

If Mitsubishi can tempt enough people to buy their cars too then this will accellerate the rate at which IM / Subaru UK develop enhancements.
Old 07 June 2004, 06:05 PM
jetskidia
Scooby Regular

Talking

Why would a car manufacturer display a car for "boys" when right opposite there was a car for "men !!!!
Old 07 June 2004, 06:35 PM
SteelX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jetskidia
Why would a car manufacturer display a car for "boys" when right opposite there was a car for "men !!!!
I'm a boy in a man's body (so the better half says). Men drive slowly, boys don't

Steel
Old 07 June 2004, 06:43 PM
jetskidia
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by SteelX
I'm a boy in a man's body (so the better half says). Men drive slowly, boys don't

Steel
So driving a slow car gives you fast lap times ???????????
Old 07 June 2004, 06:50 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

So driving a slow car gives you fast lap times ???????????
<yawn>

You talking up your car to make up for another inadequacy?
Old 07 June 2004, 06:54 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

"From what I've seen there isn't much in it between an Sti with all the toys and the WR1, for now at least....."

Scooby ... I have a WR1 which is fully run in and I can tell you point blank that there is considerable difference between a STI PPP and a WR1 - I have driven both and the WR1 is jaw dropping. I wouldn't have spent upwards of 30K on it if It wasn't better than an STI PPP. IMHO it is also a better car than the Evolution FQ330 which I also drove before confirming the WR1 order.

I understand that you can still buy WR1's from certain dealers, or orders are still be taken ... maybe someone from Prodrive or IM could confirm this instead of the usual scoobynet tales.
Old 07 June 2004, 06:58 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

LOL at Daz34

Steel x is the best driver i've been in a car with!! cant wait to go out with him in his WR1, will be class
Old 07 June 2004, 07:00 PM
jetskidia
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Daz34
<yawn>
Is driving a Scooby so boring that you struggle to stay awake??
Old 07 June 2004, 07:09 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Is driving a Scooby so boring that you struggle to stay awake??
My Dad is bigger than your Dad
Old 07 June 2004, 07:46 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gangsta Smurf
The WR1 should have been there. WRC cars aren't dream cars because you can't really get hold of one and then drive it on the road. I know a lot of non-scooby people that were disappointed that the WR1 wasn't there. I would have loaned them mine if Subaru had asked around for one to use. They don't really seem to care about creating the right impression at the moment though so I guess we should let them continue to make a mess of things!
Gangsta thats a generous offer from you.Any chance I could loan your car until mine arrives m8??
Old 07 June 2004, 08:42 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

"Scooby ... I have a WR1 which is fully run in and I can tell you point blank that there is considerable difference between a STI PPP and a WR1 - I
GS - I wouldn't have expected you to say anything other than that, but in the grand scheme of things the differences aren't that significant
Old 07 June 2004, 09:14 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

The handling balance is fundamentally different thanks to the different transmission, and the engine's got a fair bit more go. The WR1 is far a more entertaining, and ultimately much quicker car in an A to B scenario.

I don't own either car Scooby, so unlike Gangsta can't be accused of having any axe to grind. Make of the above what you will.
Old 07 June 2004, 09:20 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

"GS - I wouldn't have expected you to say anything other than that, but in the grand scheme of things the differences aren't that significant"

So Scooby I take it you've driven a WR1 on your own with no restrictions and taken it right through every gear, as well as heavy cornering and long sprints???? I doubt it unless you own a fully run in one or have had someone allow you to do that in their car - which would either be an extremely trusting mate or Mike Wood? I doubt it on both, however if you are an owner I apologise for doubting your ownership.

All the WR1 owners I've spoken to say it is significantly better than an STI 8 PPP, including my dealer who had an STI 8 before he decided to change it for a WR1 - and he can REALLY drive!!

As I said before I have driven mine hard and explored it's potential and it is significant over an STI PPP! For definate! Not saying the STI PPP is a bad car in any way - just giving my opinion and the opinion of lots of others who have driven both with no restrictions
Old 07 June 2004, 09:32 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

It appears that there are too many people determined to put down the WR1 for what ever reason.I take delivery very shortly and cannot wait .I dont give a monkeys chunk whether anybody else thinks there is a better Subaru out there.I will enjoy the car because I enjoy driving ,and to me it looks the part,sounds the part ,has exclusivety and I can just about afford to pay for it,so really that is all that matters.

Negative feedback should be kept to yourself,because I thought this site was for enthusiasts of Subaru,whichever model you have,be it a sport ,t25 or whatever.Each to there own I say,some like it bushy,some like it shaven,some even like it ginjar ffs,so just Ferkin Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!Life is too short..
Old 07 June 2004, 09:38 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

njkmr ... You won't be dissapointed in anyway!!!! The car is amazing, everytime I take it out and pull up to chat to my car-crazy mates people just come up and want to know all about it - Subaru have really pulled it out of the bag for this one, just such a crime that they allow all the negative publicity from TopGear and EVO and say nothing about it!!!

One of my very good friends is enquiring into trying to get one after rubbishing Subarus for years ... thats the sort of impression the car gave him when I took him out on a thrill ride!
Old 07 June 2004, 09:52 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

njkmr ... You won't be dissapointed in anyway!!!! The car is amazing, everytime I take it out and pull up to chat to my car-crazy mates people just come up and want to know all about it - Subaru have really pulled it out of the bag for this one, just such a crime that they allow all the negative publicity from TopGear and EVO and say nothing about it!!!

One of my very good friends is enquiring into trying to get one after rubbishing Subarus for years ... thats the sort of impression the car gave him when I took him out on a thrill ride!
I dont doubt this for one minute.I will be a kid with a new toy when it arrives.I came on this site to listen to other like minded people,talk about a common interest,Subaru.But for some reason ,people who take Jezzas(clarkson) word as Gospel have to chip in with thier unqualified version of whats the dogs danglies.It is all about opinion,and that is mine at the end of the day,for me at least,about the car I drive.
If someone else has a car they enjoy ,good luck to em,it is their choice.I would not slag off their choice.
Anyway back to the fridge for a Stella to blot out the next few days until it arrives.Time cant pass quickly enuff till I get that call from the dealers,to say it here for collection.
Enjoy yours Gangsta,as Im sure you are doing!!!!!!!
Old 07 June 2004, 09:54 PM
jetskidia
Scooby Regular

Is telling the truth negative publicity ????????????????
Old 07 June 2004, 10:00 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Is telling the truth negative publicity ????????????????
Wetskidinurpants
It is an opinion you have been listening to.The truth is what you wish to beleive.When you have driven one,then your opinoin counts.Until then button it u crank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07 June 2004, 10:08 PM
jetskidia
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmr
Wetskidinurpants
It is an opinion you have been listening to.The truth is what you wish to beleive.When you have driven one,then your opinoin counts.Until then button it u crank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Driving 2 different cars around the same track with the same driver isn't opinion !!
It's a hard fact that you just can't handle!!
Geeez when will you guys realise that a WR1 is a good car but far far, from a decent car !!
It's ok for Boys and thats about it !!
Old 07 June 2004, 10:15 PM
njkmr
Scooby Regular

Driving 2 different cars around the same track with the same driver isn't opinion !!
It's a hard fact that you just can't handle!!
Geeez when will you guys realise that a WR1 is a good car but far far, from a decent car !!
It's ok for Boys and thats about it !!
Does that include Ladyboys.Suits u sir!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07 June 2004, 10:21 PM
Gangsta Smurf
Scooby Regular

Jetskidia ... both the cars on top gear were being overdriven ... the stig that they were using on the day had no idea whatsoever how to drive those cars - it may not have changed the result but the times would have been completely different. Same situation again, you have probably never driven either car so your opinion is not based upon any fact, but what you've heard. Anybody who knows anything about driving a car will have seen the mess that the stig made of driving the WR1 - you obviosely cannot so your opinions count for nothing! You may not like the WR1 but at the end of the day it is a subaru, and this website is for those that appreciate all things subaru - if you are not one of those people then, to be honest, you should click on the log-out button on the top right hand side of your screen.

Quick Reply: Motorshow - No WR1