Keep Scooby or Buy Caterham

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2004, 12:09 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Keep Scooby or Buy Caterham

What shall I do???????

Having driven a Caterham around Donnington Park, I want to have more fun with a car and I don't seem to be getting it on the road in a Scoob as often as I would like.

So am thinking of getting rid and buying a Caterham, A trailor, and a diesel Ford Focus to Tow it. I will then have a normal car and a fun car and probably won't lose as much money as I do with the poor deprciating Subaru

What do you reckon.
Old 02 June 2004, 12:47 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

definitely
Old 02 June 2004, 12:50 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

Go for it, a change is always good. Also the Catheram is ideal for road use in the summer as well as track use, not just that, because they are so light, you will certanily save ££'s on fuel compared to your Subaru.
What a buzz though flooring a Catheram, 0-60 in a click of the fingers, superb.

Out of interest, what Subaru have you got, and what price you thinking of selling at ? Im new here and am looking at buying a Subaru within the next few months.
Old 02 June 2004, 01:19 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

I'd pm Jay M A .... he just did this ...

Steve
Old 02 June 2004, 01:25 PM
davidpa
Scooby Regular

buy a caterham, just think of the fun you will have and the money saved in the long run.
Old 02 June 2004, 01:41 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Insurance will be far less on a 7 too. Costs me £276 fully comp for my westie. I'm 30 with it garaged, no claims with 3 points. If you're over 25 the most you should pay is £4/500, most likely less.

7 type cars are just about the most fun cars you can have on the road. FAR FAR more fun than a scoob.

I sold my S2000 and bought a lovely 190bhp westie (over 300bhp per tonne) and an old V6 Omega with a tow bar. Great fun keeping up with 911 turbos, F355's and the like

Also, as 7s are so simple and most parts are exposed, you can easily do checks/servicing/minor repairs yourself.
Old 02 June 2004, 02:19 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Do it.

Trending Topics

Old 02 June 2004, 03:34 PM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Yeah do it
Old 02 June 2004, 11:22 PM
darren f
Scooby Regular

Been there........... done it.
Agree with all the comments already made- I also say go for it!
Spend all day blatting round circuits (which a Seven will lap-up with no complaints), proabably faster than any 'exotica' out there..... safe in the knowledge that should you bend it, all you do is load it on the trailer. Result: no worries about your main transport being off the road whilst being repaired..
Old 04 June 2004, 12:53 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Yep I think I maybe going for it. Not sure if it will be a 7 or a westie yet.

Westfield have invited me down to the factory and Caterham to the dealer in Leicester for test drives etc. I'm hoping that they may lend me one for a track day so I can compare each car before buying. Well I'm hoping they may do that ??

What d'ya think ?
Old 04 June 2004, 03:07 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I am lucky and have both but I did used to have a Mondeo TD as my every day car - then at the weekends I could wheel my 200bhp little monster out

I am on my 4th Caterham now - the best cars I have driven (and I have driven a lot!)
Old 05 June 2004, 06:24 PM
darren f
Scooby Regular

Steve,
I may be wrong but you may not get much change out of Caterham as regards borrowing a car for track day use- they will probably direct you to one of their 'experience' days which cost ££££s. I think some of the track day companies run Sevens for people to hire- it might be worth a surf round. I'm sure Bookatrack do- http://www.bookatrack.com/

A test drive on the road in one should be no problem, but just be aware that on the road you are not seeing a Seven in its best light- there are days when I can't be arsed to drive mine on the road, its too bumpy, loud and too much hard work (........I must be getting old). Its only really at home on the track.
Old 05 June 2004, 06:28 PM
megabusa
Scooby Regular

Just about to sell my Westfield, its by far the quickest and most fun car I've ever had and I have always said I would never sell it but needs must.
Old 05 June 2004, 10:28 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Did the Caterham experience at the Motorshow yesterday, it only lasted a couple of minutes, but I was impressed. I'd love to build one, would still have to keep the Scoob though.

Allan
Old 05 June 2004, 11:31 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

get a westie mega & you wont stop

hell 'ye
Old 06 June 2004, 07:41 AM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Just to put some water onto the fire me and brother were going through the same as you mate.

So we decided to buy a Westfield megabusa and yes they are very quick and alot off fun to drive too. (Bullet proof engine)But we spent more trips to Westfield for services / mods / and found we were spending more time putting it back and forward on the trailer than driving it.
Also the fact you have booked a trackday at well over £100 to find its 5issing down with rain,and there is no way your going to stay on a wet track with a bike engine.

The thing that scares you the most about a Caterfield is there is not much around you if you have a crash a bit like riding a bike.

We took my sti8 around mallory park and was totally amazed buy how fast we were against the caterfields and other various cars which really got us thinking as to why we need a Megabusa if a scoob is as quick around a track.

P.s the scooby as suspension mods (Leda)

So after along hard think we decided that we will sell her and buy a scoob.

We brought a Sti3 Type R 555-ltd and the car is the best scoob i have ever drove and more to the point we have matched our megabusa time around donnington park and feel very safe too(cusco suspension+Ap 6-pots help)

The best thing is you drive the car to track.

If you have the money and was very serious about a track car buy a Radical or a Xtr2 because there is nothing that will touch you around corners.

R.B