Petrol Prices - A problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2004, 07:15 AM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Petrol Prices - A problem?

Ok, nuff is enuff

Petrol prices went up by 1p per litre across the country yesterday and according to the news this morning they are set tp rise by approx 8p a litre within a week. With the recent terrorist activities prices could sore to over £1 per litre within the next few weeks.... (unconfirmed).... So anyone have any plans?

The protestor in 2000 (david handley) has quoted in this mornings papers there will be trouble over the next few days if the government doesnt stop the rise.... Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but does this mean more petrol shortages???

Just edited this now ---- David handley has been on tele this morning saying 70% of people are in favour of action.......

3 DAYS TO GO

Any other views out there?
Old 02 June 2004, 07:38 AM
Trem
Scooby Regular

Yay for the barracades!

Makes the w*nk that is our goverment take notice at least.
Old 02 June 2004, 08:27 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I'm in favour - i wont be able to travel the 80 mile round trip to work = lie in

Seriously though, the government need to take some of the tax off it, it's plain stupid. Dunno what to tax instead, more on **** i suppose - as they aren't really a necessity as cars are for commuting/work etc.
Old 02 June 2004, 08:28 AM
Mad Scientist
Scooby Regular

Location: I wish we had a non-profit making website to put here.

I'm not a big fan of paying 75% tax on my petrol, but on the other hand, if I fill up tomorrow and then can't get any more petrol, i'll be walking to work on Monday......................and i'm even less of a fan of physical excersion!

Hmmmmmmm............ might have a few days off..........

ROLL ON THE BLOCKADES!
Old 02 June 2004, 08:33 AM
Arthur Fowler
Scooby Regular

...but the recent price rises aren't due to the Governernment, they are because the price of crude oil has risen substantially.
Old 02 June 2004, 08:34 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arthur Fowler
...but the recent price rises aren't due to the Governernment, they are because the price of crude oil has risen substantially.
But it is taxed to absurd levels, which they COULD lower to bring prices back in line to counter the crude oil price rise. Jeez, other countries pay way less tax and still manage to run their country a whole lot better.
Old 02 June 2004, 08:37 AM
WR1 Bro
Scooby Regular

Blockades please..... meant to be seeing the mother-in-law next weekend!

Trending Topics

Old 02 June 2004, 08:38 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

People have short memories.

Gordon Brown does staggered tax increases, he will announce tax increases but introduce them further down the line so we dont bame him for the price rises.

I agree oil has gone up in price but what is the tax / duty free price of petrol 25p ??. The tax is absurd considering the additional road tax ontop as well.
Old 02 June 2004, 08:40 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

More tax on **** and booze and other luxuries ...... less on petrol which is pretty much a necessity I say.
The trouble is that they gain billions from tax on fuel and it wouldnt be easy to get that back on **** etc.

Although Why dont the government put a tax freeze on fuel and say ''ok if opec or whoever it is now put up crude oil we will transfer that increase to the britsh public but NOT tax that increase'' If 75% is tax then that will mean fuel only goes up 25% wont it?
Old 02 June 2004, 08:40 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

do u think the government would really give a **** if we protested, they stick more and more costs on for the motorists alll the time, this is no different.

also had u noticed the last time the cost of fuel went up due to "the gulf war" etc the prices NEVER came down after!!!

I'm sure loads of u have received the email stating that we should protest by not buying BP and ESSO petrols as these are the "big boys" of the fuel economy and by us not buying their fuel they will be forced to bring their costs down.

As most scooby owners use Shell optimax there's not much difference there anyway.

the government have got us screwed tho as they know we NEED our cars and can get away with wot ever they choose to do.
Old 02 June 2004, 08:42 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

it'll probably be cheaper to drive over to france and fill up there and bring back some higher octane stuff too
Old 02 June 2004, 10:10 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

last time i looked last week the cost of fuel out of the refinery after the fuel companies had taken their profit was 19p per litre, the forecourt made anouther 3p per litre, the rest was Tax and VAT.
Old 02 June 2004, 10:12 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5 286
it'll probably be cheaper to drive over to france and fill up there and bring back some higher octane stuff too
Erm, this is a global rise you know!
Old 02 June 2004, 10:13 AM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

John,

You're right. I had a look and found the same. People need to realise that petrol is actually pretty cheap still, it's just the government that makes it expensive. W-anchors

Matt
Old 02 June 2004, 10:19 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a bit on Newsnight last night showing that Britain has the cheapest petrol in Europe BEFORE tax is added because we are one of the few producers of oil and refine our own.

Yes, the increase is global but since we all buy/sell oil in US dollars (and it's weakness against the pound), we actually get more for our money than in the past.

Government wins on both counts - selling oil to other countries with the strong pound and more income in taxes from the petrol increases at the forecourt.

Just remember the same increase is not the same worldwide as it varies on the amount of tax added afterwards.

Stefan
Old 02 June 2004, 10:47 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Cheaper than beer
Old 02 June 2004, 11:02 AM
Tandy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Erm, this is a global rise you know!
True but we pay about 70% tax on our petrol so therefore the goverment will be making an extra 7p per litre in tax if it rises by 10p per litre.

Small potatoes compared to what they charge on **** though! more like 800% tax on them. Personally I could manage without a car without a drink problem but I do like me ciggy's.

Tandy
Old 02 June 2004, 11:05 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tandy
True but we pay about 70% tax on our petrol so therefore the goverment will be making an extra 7p per litre in tax if it rises by 10p per litre.

Small potatoes compared to what they charge on **** though! more like 800% tax on them. Personally I could manage without a car without a drink problem but I do like me ciggy's.

Tandy
Not quite so - the tax on petrol is fixed at so many pence per litre. The variable part is the VAT which is (as I'm sure you know) 17.5%
Old 02 June 2004, 11:19 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Have no problem with OPEC increasing prices,the basic price is still nothing compared to the tax on it over here. Would back a boycott and might make the gov't take notice if we lost a few million workdays where people can't get to work.
Old 02 June 2004, 01:54 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5 286
do u think the government would really give a **** if we protested, they stick more and more costs on for the motorists alll the time, this is no different.
I think the government WOULD take notice if the Conservatives pledged to cut fuel tax if they got voted in. The vast majority of the voting public also have cars. The only question is how they would cover the loss in revenue.
Old 02 June 2004, 03:26 PM
pjhsid
Scooby Regular

OPEC have just announced that they are to increase production to reduce prices at the pump. :-)
Old 02 June 2004, 04:21 PM
Trem
Scooby Regular

I bet the price won't drop to what it was before at the pump.
Old 02 June 2004, 08:11 PM
rdkr
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SiDHEaD
But it is taxed to absurd levels, which they COULD lower to bring prices back in line to counter the crude oil price rise. Jeez, other countries pay way less tax and still manage to run their country a whole lot better.
The fuel tax should be a floating tax, to keep the price even and aid the wider economy.
Old 02 June 2004, 08:15 PM
rdkr
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by DarkStar66
I think the government WOULD take notice if the Conservatives pledged to cut fuel tax if they got voted in. The vast majority of the voting public also have cars. The only question is how they would cover the loss in revenue.
It should not a question of meeting the tax short fall, but of cutting expenditure on wasteful projects and social payments.
Old 02 June 2004, 09:22 PM
homer lawtey
Scooby Regular

If the price of fuel was fixed at a certain figure, say 80p per litre, and the tax simply made the difference between what the petrol actually costs, and the 80p, then I'm sure the government would make themselves a little better known to OPEC when they start cutting production and forcing up the prices for their greedy pockets.
Old 02 June 2004, 09:32 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

It was said on the radio if the petrol stations gave their fuel away we would still have the most expensive in Europe (world). Meaning they give it away but you still pay the tax.
Old 02 June 2004, 09:33 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

It's still 20p a litre cheaper than bottled water - but the fecking government taxes vat+duty is just way too high..

bring on the blockades.. next week, tomorrow.. feckit do it now..
Old 02 June 2004, 09:37 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

and people wonder why more than half the country are obese.If you dont like fuel prices do something healthy and walk around instead of driving,will save you fortunes
Old 02 June 2004, 09:40 PM
carlegacy
Scooby Regular

i think we should take action but its no good backing down afterwards it has to be all in all the way or it just wont work.my car is being gas converted anyway 30p a litre so the government gets less money off me there.i will back any action the government is fogetting who employs them.
Old 02 June 2004, 09:43 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

This is all i see in every forum .... if you have a problem paying the high prices of fuel buy a cheaper car .. use public transport or walk!!!
simple as! a few people off a bbs are not going to change anything!!!!
its just something we have to live with

Quick Reply: Petrol Prices - A problem?