Sponsored by:

Top Gear EVO was tweaked

Search this Thread

Old 01 June 2004, 10:50 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Gear EVO was tweaked

Was speaking to a contact at the Colt Car Company in Cirencester today (Mitsubishi head quarters).

And he told me the EVO 320 was tuned to 340bhp and had suspension mods done (wouldn't say what). They had prior warning that Top Gear were planning a head to head against a "New Impreza" obviously a WR1, and were determined to win it.

The fact that it was so much quicker than the previously tested FQ300, almost gave the game away. A standard 320 would have been less than 1 second quicker he said.

He was also surprised how badly the WR1 had performed.

So there you have it, everyone can calm down now.

I personally would like to see some genuine back to back tests. With the WR1's DCCD set properly and not to understeer all over the place.

David
Old 01 June 2004, 10:55 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well well................If this is true,surely theres legal implications to this?
Old 01 June 2004, 11:00 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Indeed there are always things going on that are not apparent to the casual observer. I did wonder how the EVO was so much faster.

Although I do find it hard to beleive that Topgear wouldn't have known about the DCCD nor attempted to set it to the best position ? One assume this Stig person is a professional driver ?

Were Subaru/Prodrive not on hand during the testing to assist with car setup ? You'd have thought they'd have made the effort for such a public showing of their new top of the range wallet emptying product ? Especially tested back to back against the biggest perceived rival ?

Brand suicide on a very public stage if that was the best it (WR1) could do . . . . or stupidity if they didn't provide any back up . . . .

But it was a more than a bit naughty to tweak the EVO like that

Last edited by Scratch; 01 June 2004 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01 June 2004, 11:05 PM
supersarbs
Scooby Regular

This would not suprise me - TG, IMO is more entertainment rather than factual...
Old 01 June 2004, 11:09 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is the ayc on all the time ??? if it was switched off as was dccd left in NORMAL position surley this is leaves them level again ....then if the hp were different as welll..............
Old 01 June 2004, 11:10 PM
Kane
Scooby Regular

Default LOL

Originally Posted by supersarbs
This would not suprise me - TG, IMO is more entertainment rather than factual...
This is indeed entertainment...:-) now i have heard everything..LOL i bet this thread gets to 8 pages at least...:-) I bet 12 on the prvious one and just lost...Only just mind...LOL

Such excitement from chinese whispers..lol its great.

Last edited by Kane; 01 June 2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01 June 2004, 11:11 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Most press EVO's have been tweaked - the old HKS on EVO VI's proved that.

Guess they are running scared

Trending Topics

Old 01 June 2004, 11:11 PM
Stu-exScoobOwner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DR Motorsport
Was speaking to a contact at the Colt Car Company in Cirencester today (Mitsubishi head quarters).

And he told me the EVO 320 was tuned to 340bhp and had suspension mods done (wouldn't say what). They had prior warning that Top Gear were planning a head to head against a "New Impreza" obviously a WR1, and were determined to win it.

The fact that it was so much quicker than the previously tested FQ300, almost gave the game away. A standard 320 would have been less than 1 second quicker he said.

He was also surprised how badly the WR1 had performed.

So there you have it, everyone can calm down now.

I personally would like to see some genuine back to back tests. With the WR1's DCCD set properly and not to understeer all over the place.

David
What a load of absolute sh*te.

Sour grapes more like.
Old 01 June 2004, 11:17 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

Thats not good! To put it in friendly bbs language.
But I'd still like to know what setting the DCCD was on and why it preformed so badly. Does the conspiracy run deeper? lol, joke. I hope :/
I too would like to see a fair comparison on ROADS. If not really to see how the WR1 gets on against an Evo but too see how it can perform in the hands of some one who knows what there doing. Calling Solberg, again....
Old 01 June 2004, 11:33 PM
Madjay2
Scooby Regular

lmfao@this thread
Old 01 June 2004, 11:34 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sour grapes anyone?
Old 01 June 2004, 11:37 PM
DR Motorsport
BANNED

Tweaking cars for the press/media is not a new trick. It happens all the time.

First example that I can think of was the E-type Jaguar hitting 150 mph. There was never another one that managed that.

Top Gear magazine managed to get a standard Impreza Turbo a few years back to do 0-60 in 5 secs dead. Tell me that was standard.

So it works for you and against you.

For me I really don't care what wins. I've owned Subaru's and Mitsubishi's, and both have good and bad points.
I'll probably go for a Spec C or a Type 25 next time I change.
That way there's no doubt as to what makes the best.
Until Mitsubishi bring out something better that is, and that will be next year, but since it's to be a WRC based car, they would be better waiting and getting the real one working right first.

David

Last edited by DR Motorsport; 01 June 2004 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01 June 2004, 11:40 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

Oh ****... A conspiracy theory
Old 01 June 2004, 11:42 PM
supersarbs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kane
This is indeed entertainment...:-) now i have heard everything..LOL i bet this thread gets to 8 pages at least...:-) I bet 12 on the prvious one and just lost...Only just mind...LOL

Such excitement from chinese whispers..lol its great.
Kane,

No not really, I do not own an Evo or Wr1, so make no difference to me. Anyway I daresay both cars would annilalate my PPP classic.

On a quick blast through the history of top gear, white vans have beaten Lotus Esprits on a 1/4 mile and Mercedes SLK beaten by an Off road Range Rover.

End of the day if the evo is quicker fair enough but I'd need more reliable evidence than good old JC the circus master and his gimp the stig!!!

Cheers

Pete
Old 01 June 2004, 11:43 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm sure this is not the first time a car company has played with their test cars. Ever since the e-type jag made 150 mph there have been rumours! Just do a search on a certain Blackpool based car company about the amount of rumours surrounding their press cars!
Old 01 June 2004, 11:49 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

ITS ALL BOLLOCKS

Davie R i believe the EVO was played with

Rumour has it, it was running NOS (100bhp of it) as well to beat the WR1

WR1 owners you can sleep sound now, its all ok

Check out the MLR for proof honestly
Old 01 June 2004, 11:51 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

If true then they had better 'tweak' the 340 if TG decide to cover that or its not going to seem to be as good value in comparison. A vicious circle would have been created me thinks
Old 02 June 2004, 12:20 AM
deano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DR Motorsport

And he told me the EVO 320 was tuned to 340bhp and had suspension mods done (wouldn't say what).

David

Yes, the evo tyres were deflated by 20psi but it still pi$$ed on that excuse for a sports car
Old 02 June 2004, 12:25 AM
deano
Scooby Regular

3.46 seconds
Old 02 June 2004, 12:39 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

time ta get the beers in .. cheers
Old 02 June 2004, 12:44 AM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Can calm down? The WR1 was still poor and only just better than an STI PPP, I dont really see the cause for cracking out the bubbly!

cal
Old 02 June 2004, 12:47 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

PMSL @ this thread

i went to work tonite and started getting greif off the lads because the evi beat the scoob

i mean FFS i dont own one of them slow newshape uk cars, anyway they thought it would be really funny to rip into me and apperntly tommi makinen himself, is mounting my mother

LMFAO

half the time i was a bit confused so i told them to **** off lol
Old 02 June 2004, 01:24 AM
Kane
Scooby Regular

Talking i beleive

I believe that the Evo engine was steam cleaned by Norris Designs, Valleted by RC developments waxed by a lad called PANIZZI, and was driven to the start line by a bloke called GALLI

But i dont see any reason to worry about the MR being modded...I'd worry about the scooby Exhaust - as it sounded like it didnt have equal length headers on??Thats 25 Lbs/ft torque and 25hp to add on yet????
Old 02 June 2004, 02:35 AM
rizzy
BANNED

hi,i am geting a wr1,but i aint got a clue wat u mean when u say..............as it sounded like it didnt have equal length headers on??Thats 25 Lbs/ft torque and 25hp to add on yet????could you plz explain,
Old 02 June 2004, 06:13 AM
Kane
Scooby Regular

Default Equal length headers

Call power station they will advise on it. Basically it adds torque and hp at the expense of the burble...powerstation will tell you the figures...
Old 02 June 2004, 06:50 AM
allywrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rizzy
hi,i am geting a wr1,but i aint got a clue wat u mean when u say..............as it sounded like it didnt have equal length headers on??Thats 25 Lbs/ft torque and 25hp to add on yet????could you plz explain,
Basically the sections of exhaust coming from the cylinder heads (as it is a flat four and the heads are facing away from one another they do not share a common exhaust manifold) are of a certain length and give the Scooby turbo its destinctive throbbing engine noise. Fitting an uprated exhaust header section (that you can buy as a one piece item for about £600-£800) gives the car more power and torque but causes it to lose its destinctive throbbing sound from the exhaust.
Old 02 June 2004, 07:01 AM
Sideways
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kane
Call power station they will advise on it. Basically it adds torque and hp at the expense of the burble...powerstation will tell you the figures...
Ask my brother about them on his RB5, it now sounds like a motorbike.

I no longer own a Scooby either but what really pisses me off is the amount of influence Topgear has on people. People that have no knowledge of cars take it as gospel. Thats the WR1's image knackered as far as the non-understanding public go. Shame cause I think its a stunner

Jas
Old 02 June 2004, 07:48 AM
nellie
Scooby Regular

no way was the evo tweaked!!!!,why should they??,the MR320 puts out close to 340hp anyway,and the suspension is uprated Bilstein,which comes as standard,blimey!!!how many more times !! the MR is the latest evoloution of the 8...therefore the changes to the car the MR320 is a replacement to the FQ300,which most FQ300s are 320hp so the more hp on the MR makes sense,why didnt they test the MR340 which is over 350hp then the difference would have been even more......
Old 02 June 2004, 08:15 AM
_Tim_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sideways
Thats the WR1's image knackered...
Erm, it's an Impreza. It's image is already knackered, with or without ginger wheels.
Old 02 June 2004, 08:24 AM
SomeDude
Scooby Regular

Talking

<whisper>
Rumour has it the WR1 had a dodgy MAF.
</whisper>

Quick Reply: Top Gear EVO was tweaked