Sponsored by:

Best handling blah blah from recent WR1 controversy

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2004, 04:27 PM
wall
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best handling blah blah from recent WR1 controversy

Reading the WR1 vs Evo8 thread made me realiza the years after visiting this site te 'handling' debate is still open.

Well as a huge Scooby fan I have to repeat that Scooby handling (especially on track) is average out of the box, and only improves so much with mods, unless hyper-extensive (and expensive).

My Elise 111S killed the Scoob in handling.

So does my current MiniCS JCW.

Even my old BM330 company car handled better.

The Scoob (I had a classic and an Sti) has amazing grip in all condition, and a perfect set up for the slow in fast out appoach, but in standard form especially will be out-handled by a lot of sport-ish cars.

My current MiniCS JCW doesn't have anywhere near the power nor grip of my Sti, but it certainly out-handles it both out of the box. Turn-in much crispier, less understeer, smoother weight transitions. Which would make it faster around really tight stuff.

The WR1 seems to just be plagued by what is a normal misconception about scoobs, which is that they are great handling cars when in fact they are fantastically grippy and powerful cars with average handling (average in relative terms, we are talking performance oriented cars).

Which still makes them great and probably more user-friendly than an Evo in the average hands and off a track.

W
Old 31 May 2004, 04:51 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wall
Reading the WR1 vs Evo8 thread made me realiza the years after visiting this site te 'handling' debate is still open.

Well as a huge Scooby fan I have to repeat that Scooby handling (especially on track) is average out of the box, and only improves so much with mods, unless hyper-extensive (and expensive).

My Elise 111S killed the Scoob in handling.

So does my current MiniCS JCW.

Even my old BM330 company car handled better.

The Scoob (I had a classic and an Sti) has amazing grip in all condition, and a perfect set up for the slow in fast out appoach, but in standard form especially will be out-handled by a lot of sport-ish cars.

My current MiniCS JCW doesn't have anywhere near the power nor grip of my Sti, but it certainly out-handles it both out of the box. Turn-in much crispier, less understeer, smoother weight transitions. Which would make it faster around really tight stuff.

The WR1 seems to just be plagued by what is a normal misconception about scoobs, which is that they are great handling cars when in fact they are fantastically grippy and powerful cars with average handling (average in relative terms, we are talking performance oriented cars).

Which still makes them great and probably more user-friendly than an Evo in the average hands and off a track.

W
"Even my old BM330 company car handled better"

WTF...

No it doesn't ...I did 130k in a 330 niether it or any any of they others that i've driven handdle as well as my STI... the scoob absolulty kills it down any B road... the turn in is alot better than the 330, especialy over bumpy roads..

I live BM's but it does handle as well as the scoob... Not sure about the WRX out of the box but i stepped out of the BM into the STI and it was so much better... its like ptty in my hands, and muchmore predictable than the 330 was...
Old 31 May 2004, 04:56 PM
wall
Scooby Regular

I had a 2001 330 with sports pack and before an Sti5. Sti gripped more and was more fun, but the 330 had crisper turn in and better balanced / less understeer, IMO of course.
Old 31 May 2004, 05:08 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

imho.... my my99 classic had a very average chassis which was compensated for by a very good 4WD system and after spending a fortune on prodrive springs/bumpsteer and geometry settings it became better than average and that was about that..however it still understeered but you learn to live with that with a dab on the old handbrake

My stop-gap focus 1.8 handles better and that is sadly fact
Old 31 May 2004, 05:24 PM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

Once upon a time, the Impreza was regarded as a great handling car

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~sco...s/handling.htm
Old 31 May 2004, 06:05 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

I agree,

Many people, including me, think that the Impreza is NOT a great handling car but is defo saved by the grip and performance. Understeers like hell and can be a bit wooly too.

But that is usually because you are pushing it hard at higher speeds.

Brian
Old 31 May 2004, 06:19 PM
Scooby Lee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T-gro
Once upon a time, the Impreza was regarded as a great handling car

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~sco...s/handling.htm
That's quite interesting..........because by those standards the new Scoobies would still be considered to have great handling!!

Trending Topics

Old 31 May 2004, 06:48 PM
Red Rocket 11166
Scooby Regular

I noticed that the WR1 on Top Gear looked very high on the rear at speed . All the down force seemed to be at the front .
Old 01 June 2004, 09:23 AM
ARM-Scooby
Scooby Regular

the handling comes into its own on b roads. the reason I bought my scoob was for these roads! I have had the prodrive suspension done and will go and get the alignment done as soon as it settles. Out of the box it’s a bit annoying to have to alter this but it does drastically alter the car set up, especially with the correct settings!
I find that as soon as I hit the back roads to my house I leave anything, its pretty bumpy along the road but so far I have left and FQ300 and 330 pretty easily. When I had a go against a 330 in town I couldn’t keep with him due to the understeer (before the springs were fitted) I suffered!

May be the evo is more of a track day car or set up that way, it certainly cant keep up in the WRC!
Old 01 June 2004, 10:17 AM
achad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ARM-Scooby
When I had a go against a 330 in town I couldn’t keep with him due to the understeer (before the springs were fitted) I suffered!
Duck, expect INCOMING
Old 01 June 2004, 10:29 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Well, bog standard Mc-pherson strut front suspension (abielt with lower control arm like almost every other car on the road) and an engine hung out in front of the front wheels will guarantee a Scoob tends towards understeer on fast approches to bend.

If they used a multilink design on the front suspension rather than Mc-phersons, I feel it would improve things greatly. As an inherant flaw with the current suspension is the camber changes that occurs under load/unload are far from ideal for the best grip.