Sponsored by:

indicator + light switch

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2004, 01:05 AM
gang_star
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default indicator + light switch

after checking out my dads uk spec 03 subaru impreza WRX. i notice the indicators/light stalk are on the left of the steering column & wiper control are the right hand side. so why are uk spec japanese cars got the light/indicators stalk on the left of steering column & wipers on the right? i remember in the past uk spec japanese cars had light stalk on the right & wipers on the left which was same layout as japanese cars in japan & i beleive is still like that on japanese cars in japan today & i also checked out a JDM 02 subaru impreza WRX STI that got light switch the opposite side to uk spec impreza!
so did regulations or something change in uk in recent yrs? this isnt compulsory to change on grey imports for the SVA isnt it?
Old 30 May 2004, 08:47 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Im guessing its on the same side as the gear stick as the left hand leaves the stearing to change gear, adjust radio,idicate etc while the right hand remains fixed safeky on the wheel?

Its early so I could be talking a load of tosh!
Old 30 May 2004, 03:34 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gang_star
after checking out my dads uk spec 03 subaru impreza WRX. i notice the indicators/light stalk are on the left of the steering column & wiper control are the right hand side.
UK and European market Imprezas have had them that way round for years.

i remember in the past uk spec japanese cars had light stalk on the right & wipers on the left which was same layout as japanese cars in japan & i beleive is still like that on japanese cars in japan today & i also checked out a JDM 02 subaru impreza WRX STI that got light switch the opposite side to uk spec impreza!
Correct. Don't believe this is a legal requirement in Europe, it's merely convention to have the indicators on the left of the steering column and the wipers on the right. Probably worth pointing out that Euro-market left hand drive Subarus also have their indicators on the left of the column.