Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SECS Monitor - Anyone got the Oil Pressure / Temperature Sensor kit?

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2004, 08:18 PM
papascooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default SECS Monitor - Anyone got the Oil Pressure / Temperature Sensor kit?

How does it work? Mechanical or electrical? I don't like the idea of oil in the cabin :/
Old 24 May 2004, 09:08 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by papascooby
How does it work? Mechanical or electrical? I don't like the idea of oil in the cabin :/
Both sensors ( Defi )are electrical.

Simon
Psi3 Ltd.
Old 24 May 2004, 10:46 PM
scoobytravis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SECS Oil monitor kit

I ordered and fitted the Oil Pressure/Temperature kit as soon as it was available for the SECS1003 in MY99 UK Turbo.
The kit is pretty straitforward to fit. The oil pressure sender unit replaces the standard oil pressure switch, which screws out, and new sender screws in.(tuck old cables for switch out of the way - taped up)
Just need a longish spanner or socket. (access a bit tight, its down in a gap near the alternator, screwed into the engine block). The temperature sender unit is mounted below the turbo intercooler, so its an intercooler off job, though this is very simple (takes 10-15 mins), and its a case of removing a blanking plug, screwing in an adapter with the sender unit. The cables can pass through the bulkhead just to the back/left of the intercooler/turbo area, and into the cabin, where they connect to the SECS unit connections. I also had to slot in a new EPROM (chip) into the SECS circuit board, just a case od carefully levering old one out, slotting new one in (observe triangle in corener for correct orientation). The kit contains everyting you need. I`ve had it in nearly a year, with no problems. Lets you relaise JUST how long its takes for the OIL to get up to temperature, rather than just working from when the coolant is up to temperature - a good bit longer!!

I usually have (approx) 3.0 - 3.5 Bar oil pressure on idle, 7.0-7.5 Bar normal driving (say 3000 rpm), though does not vary by much once revs increase much above idle) with cold oil, 6.5-6.8 Bar warmed up oil.

Hope this helps

Graham