Which exhaust for authentic - Rally car sound effects - pops and bangs

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2004, 10:24 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which exhaust for authentic - Rally car sound effects - pops and bangs

Hi,
I am trying togive my car a genuine rally car sound - as in pops and bangs and a real flat four burble. flames popping out are a must have.

so far the car is sti type R version V

it has apexi induction cone, forge vent to atmosphere, sti exhaust

I wish to replace from turbo back - removing both cats. I have a keen price for a mongoose 3 inch straight through system - but dont know if it will provide the sound effects.

all suggestions most welcome.
Old 23 May 2004, 10:59 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Mongoose isnt all that loud. I had one, downpipe back.

What you need is a Blitz nur specR with a de cat. I dont know about flames etc but it is very loud.
Old 23 May 2004, 11:01 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

I dunno - those big jap cans have more of a ground shaking drone - rather than a raspy grumble. But no question they are extremely loud.

Did you replace the mongoose with the "big blitz"?
Old 23 May 2004, 11:05 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I had a mongoose then a scoobysport then a blitz, all on the same car.

Also had a scorpion on a different impreza. Bit of an underrated exhaust, would be my second choice after the blitz.
Old 23 May 2004, 11:29 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Thats a lot of exhausts! what about the popping and banging sound effects are they all quite similar
Old 23 May 2004, 11:36 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

the scorpion was the worst for the pops and bangs, but i suspect that was more to the fact that the car was running rich.
Old 23 May 2004, 11:46 AM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Scorpion as in lots of pops and bangs - sounds like the one for me!!
Old 23 May 2004, 03:27 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gravelexpress
Hi,
I am trying togive my car a genuine rally car sound - as in pops and bangs and a real flat four burble.
What do you mean by a "genuine rally car sound"? If you want your car to sound anything like an Impreza WRC, you will need to change the headers for equal length items. If you want it to sound more like the old Group A cars, the standard ones will do. As for pops and bangs, they're not caused by exhausts, they're caused by overfuelling on lift-off.

flames popping out are a must have.
You will be after a flame kit to guarantee those then.

it has apexi induction cone, forge vent to atmosphere, sti exhaust
Recent rallycars don't have dumpvalves, so you're not really replicating anything there. The vent to atmosphere dump valve will already be screwing with the fuelling to an extent where some popping and banging may be promoted, however, the induction kit may well be leaning it off. The most important effect of this may be to the safety of the engine, so you need to get this sorted before you do anything else. You will also need to remove (or greatly strengthen the springing on) the dumpvalve if you want to make the turbo chatter.

I wish to replace from turbo back - but dont know if it will provide the sound effects.
As said above, it all depends what sort of "rally car" you want yours to sound like. If you want it to sound like an Impreza WRC, the headers and omitted dumpvalve are the key.

All this said though, if you've only recently got the car, your first priority should be getting the engine running properly, and getting the correct monitoring on it, before you start trying to make it sound like something it isn't.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 23 May 2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 23 May 2004, 05:41 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

yes thanks for the lecture. It will never sound like a WRC probably because I dont have 100k in my back pocket for upgrades.

I mean the distinctive Group N exhaust note. I wish to have the exhaust replaced primarily as it is too restrictive, a straight through system will spool up the turbo quicker.

Nope I dont want a flame kit - I want the car to sound "competitive", any suggestions grease monkey.
Old 23 May 2004, 08:14 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gravelexpress
yes thanks for the lecture. It will never sound like a WRC probably because I dont have 100k in my back pocket for upgrades.
Not sure what the "lecture" comment was supposed to mean, but if it's got a negative tone to it, I answered your question fully and concisely, and in accordance with your "all opinions welcomed" comment. As for needing £100K to make the car sound like a WRC, you hardly need that amount of money to approximate the sound. A few hundred quid will get you quite close.

I mean the distinctive Group N exhaust note.
Group N cars have, by their very nature, standard-ish exhaust systems, so pretty much any aftermarket product will get you something with a broadly similar note. You would probably find that most of the exhausts you'd find fitted to Group N cars would be quieter than some of the products you're considering due to them being built to comply with competition noise limits.

Nope I dont want a flame kit
You stated further up that flames are a "must have". You will not be able to guarantee them without providing some method for igniting unburned fuel in the tailpipe.

I want the car to sound "competitive", any suggestions grease monkey.
Not really sure what that means. "Competitive"?
Old 23 May 2004, 08:59 PM
subaru-impreza.org
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greasemonkey

You stated further up that flames are a "must have". You will not be able to guarantee them without providing some method for igniting unburned fuel in the tailpipe.
Not guaranteed but it can happen check out the pic below:

from what i gathered on the day the car does not have flames.

gravelexpress, i cant add much to this post what what i can add is; hope all the mods go to plan and that you get the help and support you require.

Gareth
Old 23 May 2004, 09:14 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

i've got a full scoobysport exhaust - loads of pops and bangs - and a fair few flames! nice flat four sound - more on solidity rather than ground shattering drone!
Old 23 May 2004, 09:48 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

IMHO any proper aftermarket will give you pops and bangs. I think its much to do how rich your car is running ( ie. more rich= more fuel you are burning) rather than who makes the pipes.