ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

UK Spec ImprezzaT vs. STI v5 vs P1

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2000, 11:43 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Would anyone in a position to compare (eg. driven) the following, post their comments:

- Standard UK Spec Imprezza Turbo
- P1
- STI V5

I'd be really interested to hear this. Is there a big difference to the standard car?

I run a PPP on my standard turbo and wonder if the grass is a LOT more greener...

Darren

Old 30 June 2000, 08:10 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

Wink

Que Jonathan .....
Old 30 June 2000, 08:39 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Std car, fantastic, quick, great in wet, good on limit.
STi V, even better!, quicker, not quite as good in wet, higher (slightly) dry limit, better interior, more fuel efficient!
P1, feels slightly slower than STi?, better wet handling, similar dry limit, hybrid STi/UK interior, err expensive, looks great.
Old 30 June 2000, 08:48 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I went from a MY99 with PPP to test driving a n STI V, and the STI did seem much quicker and more torquey IMO. And the PPP was much better than the MY97 standard I had before that. The shorter gearing of the STI's means that you spend more time in the powerband too, making same gear overtaking a doddle.
Started me down the short but financially painful route to the 22.
Cheers
Chuck

[This message has been edited by chuckster (edited 30-06-2000).]
Old 30 June 2000, 11:46 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Thanks for posting comments everyone - really interesting to hear it from someone's perspective who's driven the different types.

So consensus of opinion would make the STI 5 the scooby to own ? If so, are their any major disadvantages the STI has over the UK spec cars.

I've always been scared off by parts availability and cost. Living in the North East I wonder where I can get these items.

DV

Old 30 June 2000, 01:22 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Warranty!
Old 30 June 2000, 02:31 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Talking

My importer Track Marques gave me 3 year warranty with my STI v5.Touch wood I haven't had to use it.

Only problem I have had was the Jap spec battery packed up, but i've heard that is a major fault.Power engineering had a pile of import batteries that had been removed and thrown.

...Ian
Old 30 June 2000, 03:49 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Nobody mentions the WRX car, what is the difference between this and the STi ?

Wish I'd known about the STi V before I bought my Uk spec! Oh, well...

DV
Old 30 June 2000, 04:04 PM
Gethin
Scooby Regular

Talking

The STi has a blueprinted engine....ie built to even stricter tolerances with stamp of appoval from STI Japan. The STi also has a closed deck engine block more suited to customers who "tweak" their engines.If you compare dyno results though, there's not much in it really in the real world.

Both need to be run on SUL fuel to maximise efficiency and reduce risk of knock (or pinking).

Very happy with MY97 WRX which has a mysterious chip fitted giving me good fuel economy and good power. I'm still trying to source the chip's maker, some place in Japan....

Old 30 June 2000, 04:37 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by DazV:
<B>Would anyone in a position to compare (eg. driven) the following, post their comments:

- Standard UK Spec Imprezza Turbo
- P1
- STI V5

I'd be really interested to hear this. Is there a big difference to the standard car?

I run a PPP on my standard turbo and wonder if the grass is a LOT more greener...

Darren
[/quote]

Daz

I have owned a 94 L Impreza and I now own an STI V5 V-limited. The 94 L was one of the very first that came to the UK and was v.basic. Great car and did 111,000 miles without a prob.

The STI is much quicker and more urgent, with better interior etc. It should be though for the price. I've spun it in the wet because it's much more tail happy than the UK car!!

In my humble opinion, any Impreza is brilliant!
Old 30 June 2000, 04:46 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face

How do you put the 'Smilies' in the text of a message?

I am a bit dim when it comes to computers.
Old 30 June 2000, 04:50 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

So how much does it cost to import an STI v5 and put it on the road ?

Is insurance higher than standard UK turbo ?

-Darren

PS: Bloke asking about smilies - when on the reply screen, click the 'smiles legend'
Old 01 July 2000, 12:50 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Observe track days and you will see that a Sti5 will only pull away from a UK spec right towards the very top end.
Also ask people with UKPPP who have raced Syi5s - there isnt much in it at useable speeds (i.e. up to 150!)

One of the possible reasons why the STi etc feel much more "urgent" is that they have a larger turbo which gives a less progressive delivery of power/torque (ceterus paribus) whereas the current MY99/00 have smaller turbos which give a much more progressive delivery and more linear curve. No doubt the STi is ultimately faster and more tuneable but the UK car isnt sloppy - ask the 328i driver yesterday who just couldnt catch me on a straight and got further and further into my rear view as the gears increased

This is what i have observed from my relatively short UK scooby ownership anyhow.
Old 01 July 2000, 11:53 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

Several UK std owners have been out in my STi V5 and Im led to believe theres a considerable difference in driving style, brakes and acceleration.
As for owning an STi V5, Ive had no warranty
probs, reliability A1, insurance now around
1K.
Old 02 July 2000, 01:44 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

* Chuckster *

You mean '22' as in 22b ?

I heard these are pretty dire in terms of everyday driveability (gearing ?)

Old 02 July 2000, 03:04 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Daz, I have a UK 22B, the final drive was changed and the gearing is fine, on the Jap ones 4000rpm = about 80, on mine it's nearer 90. All the type R's( 2 door coupe's) had a shorter gearing, not just the 22. The biggest problem with mine is the clutch, which is an absolute bugger compared to the standard clutch in a UK scoob, however you get used to it when you hit the first traffic jam. Day to day driveability is better than you would be led to believe, though I guess all the owners are a little biased , just like me .
Chuck
Old 02 July 2000, 03:21 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

* Chuckster *

Don't get me wrong, I do love the 22b. Cool looking car, and nails everything.

You ever compared performance to an STI v5 or P1 ?

DV
Old 02 July 2000, 05:38 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Go to a track day and time a few cars. You will be quite surprised to find some of the fastest drivers drive UK cars.
Old 03 July 2000, 10:41 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

But not all!
Old 03 July 2000, 11:01 AM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Having driven my mates "standard" Sti 5 and my V-Limited (shorter gearing) gotta say that mine feels much quicker and more rersponsive thru the gears. Both have HKS exhaust and induction, plus mine's got the sequential blow off valve - maybe that's the extra urge betwen gears?

The UK car is a stonking car, but no way as quick...

Warranty's a consideration tho... my mates one has just melted a piston after 28k on regular petrol but luckily it camef rom David Hendrywho've given it a superb warranty (tho for 27k with 12k on it so they should!)

Was it a huge job to change the gearing on the 22b? Once i get bored with the 20mph/1000rpm i may have to consider it!

Russ