Sponsored by:

1997 uk turbo

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2004, 11:19 PM
scoobyturbo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 uk turbo

I have just bought an uk turbo, any idea what bhp this car has got? I have heard from 208 bhp up to 220 bhp. Also what is the best induction kit for this car? I want to boost up the bhp on this motor what do you recommend? Thanks for your help scoobyturbo
Old 16 May 2004, 11:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car comes with 208bhp as standard, the best way to get more power out of her is a full decat exhaust, this should free up around 30bhp, your then going to need a boost controller, a boost gauge and a knocklink if you want to up the boost anymore
(the likes of a dawes device). 260-270bhp is probably the best you can expect with the turbo your running (and safely).

Tony
Old 16 May 2004, 11:32 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh i should point out that you need to check with your insurance co about mods, quite a few dont take too kindly to either young drivers or mods (or both )

Tony
Old 16 May 2004, 11:46 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyturbo
Also what is the best induction kit for this car?
The standard induction tract with an uprated panel filter is the best-all round option. Induction kits can easily cause more problems than they solve. And to answer your probable next question, no, it's not worth fitting an aftermarket dump valve either.

I want to boost up the bhp on this motor what do you recommend?
First thing would be to get used to the power it's got before you start messing about with the engine. Might even find a bit of driving tuition or buying some time on a track will help you get a lot more out of the car.

Secondly, as has already been said, a cat-free exhaust system is one of the most useful things you can do in the power/throttle response area. However, before you start with any of that, it would be worth spending some money in the braking area, as the standard ones are barely up to the car's standard output, let alone more.
Old 17 May 2004, 12:13 PM
scoobyturbo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
The car comes with 208bhp as standard, the best way to get more power out of her is a full decat exhaust, this should free up around 30bhp, your then going to need a boost controller, a boost gauge and a knocklink if you want to up the boost anymore
(the likes of a dawes device). 260-270bhp is probably the best you can expect with the turbo your running (and safely).

Tony
Cheers tony! Where can i get these from and how much do they cost. I had a go of a wrx and it had a hks super power flow filter and it drove fine the dealer said that these filters are the best ones for imprezas, my brother has an wrx sti and it goes like his he has the standard air box
Old 17 May 2004, 12:18 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Can't believe you found a MY97 that hasn't been modified!
Is it the facelift model? I believe you can get a TEK upgrade now for it? I had a Unichip on mine with full decat. Can't remember the figures but it went like the proverbial off a shovel
Old 17 May 2004, 12:29 PM
scoobyturbo
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Is it the facelift model? I believe you can get a TEK upgrade now for it? I had a Unichip on mine with full decat. Can't remember the figures but it went like the proverbial off a shovel
It is the face lift model, but its in mint condition and it has a full service history i was thinking of getting a good exhaust for it first and then a hks filter,i have heard that hks filters are suitable for subarus and then maybe getting a chip for it costing about £250
Old 17 May 2004, 12:33 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Hi,

have a look in the "cars" sub-section of the "features" section of

www.jap-innovations.co.uk

to see what is possible from a 97 UK turbo

Rich
Old 17 May 2004, 11:31 PM
tinhead
Scooby Regular

I have a Dawes device and a Dawes AFR for sale if your interested. This is one of the most popular and easiest mods for a scooby and makes a massive difference, only realised how much when I removed it prior to selling the car.
They cost £108 new (not sure how much they are now) but I will let them go for £50.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:28 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Cone filters are less of an issue on MY97 cars as their air flow meters aren't as sensitive as the later types, provided they are secured correctly and not subjected to too much vibration.

With simply a K&N cone filter, H&S back box & decat Magnex centre section my MY97 reached 253 BHP on Well Lane's rollers. For comparison my friend's PPP'ed MY99 reached 254 BHP and a couple of decatted STi Vs hit around the 300 mark BHP on the same say.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:32 AM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Mine's a UK MY97 that is standard... so there! Apart from the obligatory gold wheels and big spoiler. Two years of ownership and no mods... I must be mad.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:40 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Duck_Pond
Mine's a UK MY97 that is standard... so there! Apart from the obligatory gold wheels and big spoiler. Two years of ownership and no mods... I must be mad.
I don't think they came with gold wheels and a big spoiler originally though did they?
Old 19 May 2004, 12:46 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Scoobyturbo

I too have a UK97-went with a Blitz induction kit for about 12 months and never really noticed the difference (apart from the obvious induction roar)

Anyway later deceided to have it taken off due to some errors on the ECU and went with a panel filter. It was only then that I noticed how smoother the car ran. Think the one I had was too agressive although there are plenty of people who have no problems with them.

Given the price that I paid for it in the first place I would spend my money elsewhere to be honest. Hindsight and all that!!