99 LEGACY B4 RSK Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2004, 07:26 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 99 LEGACY B4 RSK Help needed

hi people

Im just about to buy a black legacy B4 and i have a few things i need to know before i do

1) I used to have a MY98 UK impreza so i think i know the usual to ckeck for, cambelt cange, plugs etc... The question is, with this being a twin turbo, is there anything else i need to look for?

2) Are there any common faults with them?

3) Is the standard Subaru alarm fitted CAT1 standard? (doubt it)

4) The bloke at the garage tells me it has Bilstien suspension fitted and that its adjustable and standard, Is this right or am i being spun a story?

Now for when i have bought the car, i had planeed not to tinker with my impreza, but i simply couldnt resist. so i guess i will end up the same way.

What are the standard performance figures on these?
im led to believe 5.9 for the 0-60
158 mph top speed (not that this really matters
278 BHP

it already has a turbo back system on it minus the cat ( got some funny jap symbols on the can and thats as much as i know. I will be the first UK owner of this car.

What chip if any, has anybody put on the car? Where can i get it done and roughly how much, whats the increase and will it be worth it???

Now some may laugh, but i love the BOV noise, so how can i fit 1? This may sound like a daft question, but with it being a 2 stage twin turbo, i have no idea how it works, can someone please explain????

Im gonna shut up now, i have gone on enough now, so any info anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated

Thanks jon
Old 13 May 2004, 02:08 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

1. IMHO, check the ECU for codes. Being tuned for 276 (catalog) means the thing is near the safe limit already due to the small turbos (great response, not so much big top end - although it is there ). It'll be looking for 100RON, and the fuel in it may not be too fresh, so perhaps take some OB, then get it filled with decent stuff ASAP. i.e. don't boot on the way out of the dealer

2. Common faults as with all scoobies. It will likely have a good ping, so a knocklink would be a good investment IMHO. BE5A and B (can't remember about the C) have the choccy MAF of the 99/00 Imprezas, so watch for that old darlin' D revision went to Denso, so better, but not fool proof. Watch for an induction kit (or evidence of one having been fitted) coz they are known to kill MAFs and stuff the running of the car in general on all era TTs without supporting mods. Usual gear box stuff. If it has done some mileage fluid change all round may be a good idea. And don't forget to check the oil! (basic stuff, but syaing just for safety ) Not a problem per se, but if you are sensitive to such things you may notice that the primary is almost always working, therefore munching away on the oil. Some have noted that the TT can seem to be harder on the oil it seems, and most find changes need to be done anywhere from 3 to 7k kms depending on the individual. 10k miles is just asking for trouble IMHO.

3. Alarm? What Alarm? Unless the owner had one fitted, the only security is the glass

4. Bilsteins are there and are good stuff. The real deal, so rebuildable, too. Adjustable? Erm, nope on std ones

5. BOV - don't go to VTA, they stuff the running of the car, make it slower and can damage it in extreme cases it seems.

6. TBH a decat is a bit of a worry. There should be 2 cats - one on the down pipe from the primary, and one in the centre pipe. Not having either of them can shorten the life of the primary (some last longer than others, but tears oft result - one member of the yahoo group "legacyb4" found out the hard way).

7. ECUTEK have done a flash for the car. Not sure if it applies to each model (after the A and B sharing, C and D revs use quite different tunes/architecture and turbos, so should be different IMHO - a total of 3 maps required IMHO). AVO turboworld's SMT-6 is a good subcom that has worked well with the car. Good results without a boost increase are possible (as previously mentioned, the poor little turbos <scotty> "ain't got much left in her Cap'n" </scotty>

8. Some peeps get fazed by the VoD - the gap between the turbos that you can shift into and find a distinct lack of go while the engine tries to fill the system back to positive pressure. Once you learn your way around it, you may find yourself enjoying the Jeckyl and Hyde nature and using it to your advantage

Enjoy <phew>
Old 13 May 2004, 11:31 AM
B4 Alan
Scooby Regular

Man I'm nearly tired from reding that response LOL

First of all, welcome to the world of TT's - Good choice.

As said, stay away from BOV's - you may like the noise but you won't when the engine goes bang. If you still want to fit one - you mount it on the intercooler (same as Impreza).
Run the engine on SUL and a good booster like NF, the B4 does not like been run on anything else
The MAF may need replacing (I know mine did after sitting on the boat for so long) but you can just buy the sensor and should only cost you £70ish.

Are there any internal gauges (boost,oil, etc) fitted?
If there are it usually means the engine has been tinkered with in Japan. I have a HKS EVC IV fitted and find it good at reducing the VoD but you do need to keep the engine at high revs to get the full benefit.

You may also find the addition of front and rear strut braces a good investment if not already fitted but IMHO the first thing you should get is a good alarm.......

Best of luck and get ready to smile

Alan.
Old 13 May 2004, 03:14 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Well thanks for that response, just what im looking for.

Right, although i will be the first owner, the car has been used on trade plates by the garage, the owner ran her for about a month before putting it up for sale. Like i said, under the bonnet is immaculate, no evidence of BOV's or induction kits.

It does however have a front strut brace fitted and an an exhaust with jap writing on the side.

he says he has ran it on optimax, hes right next to a Shell garage anyway so it may well be true.

Im going to take someone who knows a little more about the mechanicles to take a non biest look at the car, i have already in my mind bought it so i think this would be wise.

I will keep you updated and once again, thanks for your quick response

Jon