The madness of insurance companies

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2004, 12:07 PM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The madness of insurance companies

HI all,

I posted on here a wee while back about my insurance company (Tesco) and their wierd policy on mods. I had called them to check the situation regarding me putting an STi spoiler onto the back of my MY03 WRX. Anyway, the girl/woman i spoke to at the time didn;t seem to have much idea about what i was proposing to do and eventually gave me a quote of an extra £150 to swap the spoilers.

Anyway, i still wanted to change the spoiler, so i thought i'd give them another call and double check what the story was. The guy i spoke to this time was much more helpful and when he discovered that i was going to replace one boot lid spoiler with another, then he said it wouldn't cost any extra. Bizarelly, it seems that the descriptoin of the spoiler is key, the various options they gave me were, Small, Large, Gullwing, Whale Tail and boot lid. I'm sure there were a couple more in there as well.

has anyone else encountered this kind of wierd behaviour?

I double checked with the guy that if i went and bought the spoiler that they wouldn't suddenly want £150 again and he assured me that the quote would remain on the system. I'm not 100% convinced of this mind you.

Chris
Old 12 May 2004, 12:27 PM
Andy Porter
Scooby Regular

You summed it up in your title m8
Old 12 May 2004, 12:31 PM
pjhsid
Scooby Regular

I tried to insure a PPP RB5 with Tesco... The website only had standard RB5. I was told to insure as standard and then upgrade as Mods as they didn't recognise the new exhaust, spoiler, etc. I couldn't just insure a PPP RB5.

On the RB5 owners club forum, some people have been insured as PPP RB5 with Tesco without the need to upgrade the Mods.

I really think it's the luck of the draw.
Old 12 May 2004, 12:50 PM
Chris_O
Scooby Regular

what annoys me is that i have also been saving for a PPP for my wee scoob, but i'm not prepared to take the tesco gamble on this. It really does seem to depend on your luck when you call.

I used to be insured with Adrian Flux when i had my MX-5 and then my Civic Type-R and they had no probs with Mods whatsoever, but they woulnd't quote for my impreza at the time i bought it. It's looking like i'll be doing the annual phone round when my renewal is due on August.