Sponsored by:

SCOOBY - FRIGHTENING

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2004, 08:56 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCOOBY - FRIGHTENING

i recently purchased my first subaru, i'm not even sure whether it's an sti or a wrx but what i do know is that it's been modified quite a bit and is quicker than anything i have ever driven!!
Now i'm worried about whether i've made the right choice by purchasing such a machine!! I can't drive this everyday, i've had it for only a week and the power is sooo overwhelming it's kind of scary. I don't know what to do, is it just me? Is it because i'm a newbie and i'll get over this feeling ?? i want to go for something more reserved next, perhaps a 210hp altezza? Help me here guys
Old 09 May 2004, 08:58 PM
ScoobyTal
Scooby Regular

You will soon get used to it

Just go steady
Old 09 May 2004, 09:02 PM
Autocar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxtasy
i recently purchased my first subaru, i'm not even sure whether it's an sti or a wrx
Did your research before you bought it then
Old 09 May 2004, 09:09 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Autocar
Did your research before you bought it then
No, unfortunately not, one of my business associates in singapore found the car and sent it to me, he told me it's a My97 Wrx but after showing it to some scooby owners here, they tell me it's an sti, so i'm not so sure anymore?? is there anyway you can tell ??
Old 09 May 2004, 09:10 PM
subaruwr1
Scooby Regular

i recently purchased my first subaru, i'm not even sure whether it's an sti or a wrx but what i do know is that it's been modified quite a bit and is quicker than anything i have ever driven!!
Now i'm worried about whether i've made the right choice by purchasing such a machine!! I can't drive this everyday, i've had it for only a week and the power is sooo overwhelming it's kind of scary. I don't know what to do, is it just me? Is it because i'm a newbie and i'll get over this feeling ?? i want to go for something more reserved next, perhaps a 210hp altezza? Help me here guys
If you don't know if its a WRX or an STi then what have you told the insurance company?
Old 09 May 2004, 09:16 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruwr1
If you don't know if its a WRX or an STi then what have you told the insurance company?
lol,
welcome to the dark continent mate, i've insured the car for, 2.3million kwacha, approximately 300 pounds and i'm only 20!! can't beat that!!
i only sent my documents over, it's written subaru impreza wrx , year of make 1997...so once again how can i tell if its a wrx or sti/??? ne tell tale signs??there's pics of my car in the members gallery , got one of the engine bay have a look
Old 09 May 2004, 10:01 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver inlet = WRX, Not STI!
but it looks like it's probably got an induction kit, and who knows what that we can't see, shouldn't be more than 280-300 bhp, even if it's been heavily tuned, the top mount intercooler is a bit inhibiting!!
220ish as standard I'd say!
gearing may have something to do with it too!!

Trending Topics

Old 09 May 2004, 11:17 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

sti's are normally quite clear i believe, sti seats, nardi steering wheel, sti gear ****, red manifold......
Old 10 May 2004, 08:17 AM
ChrisChennell
Scooby Regular

Default Scared of driving?

Give up on being scared. It is just a car, and will only do what you tell it to. Go out, be in charge when youre driving and see if you change your mind. If you dont, flog it as if theres one thing we dont need its another scared driver with an overpowered car on the roads.

First option = preferable.
Old 10 May 2004, 08:57 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Looking at the photos I'd say you have a tuned WRX, and NOT an STI. An STI would have a red inlet manifold, clear rear indicator lenses and an STI badge or two somewhere in the interior. Your car doesn't.

Someone's definitely been tinkering, though. I spy a strut brace, an HKS induction kit, new spoiler and front bumper, not to mention all the gauges (which are, more often than not, the sign of an ECU remap).

Do check what kind of fuel it requires - I'd hate to see it go bang because the octane rating isn't high enough. Jap imports normally require 100 RON (or at least as close as you can get), but if it's had a remap then it could have a thirst for anything.

Enjoy!
Old 10 May 2004, 09:14 AM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

Now i'm worried about whether i've made the right choice by purchasing such a machine!! I can't drive this everyday, i've had it for only a week and the power is sooo overwhelming it's kind of scary.
it sounds just perfect to me a MY97 wrx should have 276 bhp as standard! the same as mine which is a 98 model
Old 10 May 2004, 02:08 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

thanks guys,
yup, your right, as i initially thought it is a wrx Yes the the car has been remapped using the blitz SBC-iD, i'm not sure what boost to run it at so i'm sticking with 0.9bar for now
I'll go with scoobytal for now, take it easy it's hard to explain what kind of roads and "drivers" we have here lol. hardly ever see a speed trap, people make their own lanes, its mayhem here!! half the traffic lights don't work and all the bus drivers think they're in 2fast2furious!!
I was told the jdm Wrx's come with 260ps standard? Or am i mistaken? i doubt they're 220ps? Anyways below is a full list of mods, need some tips on what to do next

-Blitz SBC-id
-Hks SSQV
-Hks hi power exhaust system
-Hks racing suction induction kit
-defi gauges
-pivtor shift lite
-competition clutch
-upgraded fly wheel and crank pulley
-fully adjustable tein suspension
-c-west body kit

i'm not sure if the downpipe has been changed?? is there any way i can tell ?? What mods can i do next? i was thinking along the lines of an hks fuel pump , 550cc injectors , etc...??
Old 10 May 2004, 04:06 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I can't drive this everyday, i've had it for only a week and the power is sooo overwhelming it's kind of scary
...and now you want to modify it further? Reality check!
Old 10 May 2004, 04:52 PM
D'man
Scooby Regular

Your avin a larf aren't you? Too fast now and asking what can I do next to it? Hellooooo!!!!!!!!!
Old 10 May 2004, 05:06 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
Silver inlet = WRX, Not STI!
but it looks like it's probably got an induction kit, and who knows what that we can't see, shouldn't be more than 280-300 bhp, even if it's been heavily tuned, the top mount intercooler is a bit inhibiting!!
220ish as standard I'd say!
gearing may have something to do with it too!!
97 wrx is 276 bhp as standerd
Old 10 May 2004, 06:08 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D'man
Your avin a larf aren't you? Too fast now and asking what can I do next to it? Hellooooo!!!!!!!!!
lol, yea what can i do next?? Say i get used to it and want more out of my car? What other mods? I can't do any here so it won't be anytime soon but in the future?? any recommendations??
Old 10 May 2004, 06:15 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Wheres the pics in gallery?
Old 10 May 2004, 06:17 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Wheres the pics in gallery?
on page 2 i think under MY SCOOBY ( sumwhere in the jungle)
Old 11 May 2004, 01:23 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

What fuel do you get? 100RON in Japan, wonder what it got before you picked it up?

Perhaps a knocklink should be your first "mod" Protect your investment, vs. make it break faster?
Old 11 May 2004, 10:39 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

When u drive your scoob, don't be tempted that you have to drive the car at its full limit all of the time, these cars are quite happy cruzin' at 30-40mph. and even when you go onto the motorway 70-80 is just a cruz for the car. So no need to floor it. just get more and more experience driving the car and get used to it and build up ur confindence.

hope u get the idea of where i am coming from???

anyway how this helps
Old 11 May 2004, 11:01 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see uprated brakes anywhere on that list.
Old 11 May 2004, 01:06 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
When u drive your scoob, don't be tempted that you have to drive the car at its full limit all of the time, these cars are quite happy cruzin' at 30-40mph. and even when you go onto the motorway 70-80 is just a cruz for the car. So no need to floor it. just get more and more experience driving the car and get used to it and build up ur confindence.

hope u get the idea of where i am coming from???

anyway how this helps

yea i know what you mean, the more i drive it the better it gets i guess i was also having difficulty with the competition clutch especially on fly over bridges.... i'm gettin used to that now too.....yup bigger brakes are deffinitely on the list.....i've heard alot about this knocklink but i'm not sure what it is exactly??
Old 11 May 2004, 01:24 PM
Subarstar
Scooby Regular

wrxtasy - surely you can't be serious.

This is a wind-up right?
Old 11 May 2004, 01:28 PM
wrxtasy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subarstar
wrxtasy - surely you can't be serious.

This is a wind-up right?
no mate,
i only got my first scooby last week....it came with all the mods i've listed and i don't know what knocklink device is and whether i have it or not..... sorry don't know so much about all these aftermarket bits for the scooby....took me ages to figure out what i had on the car.....sorry mate.....first time owner....proper newbie lol
Old 11 May 2004, 02:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Looking for further mods?

Maybe worth uprating the brakes before you go looking for more power.