Subaru Impreza WR1

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2004, 08:45 PM
JonathanWR1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru Impreza WR1

Hi all, Just registered on the forum.

I am thinking of getting a Subaru WR1. I am having difficulty trying to find some pictures of the car like interior and different areas of the car etc. The Subaru WR1 brochure doesnt have many pics of it. I was wondering if anyone has any good pics or even owns one so they can tell me what they think to it.

Is the WR1 even out yet? I havent seen one.

Thanks

Jon
Old 08 May 2004, 08:49 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

close to being sold out, you may have trouble finding one they are only making 500 units
Old 08 May 2004, 08:50 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

and yes a few have been delivered
Old 08 May 2004, 09:37 PM
STILee
Scooby Regular

You'd better make your mind up quick!
Old 09 May 2004, 12:28 AM
STILee
Scooby Regular

Here's some pics for ya

Old 09 May 2004, 12:34 AM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

Very nice
Old 09 May 2004, 01:28 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just buy the GL, the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) equivelent, a much better car, it lacks the warranty but is better than the WR1 will ever be

Tony
Old 09 May 2004, 01:40 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Really? Explain/justify please Tony.

The WR1 comes with more power than the JDM car has as standard (and is quicker in practice), rides better, handles better, runs as standard on regular UK pump fuel, can be serviced at any Subaru UK main dealer, has a full Subaru UK three year warranty, and is likely to have better residuals.

Now, in what way, exactly, is the JDM car better than the WR1 will ever be? Sure, the JDM car is cheaper, and is arguably a slightly better base for modification, but frankly that's missing the point when the majority of WR1 buyers will be looking at the car's entire feature set as a package and will likely leave it standard.
Old 09 May 2004, 01:54 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Actually the wr1 comes with less power than a JDM car, its factory power is 265 ps, it is also inferior in the engine department, it doesnt have anywhere near the uprated parts the JDM car has, it has what, a vf 35 turbo as standard? compared to the vf36/37 of the JDM car? (twin scroll roller bearing being the even number, sleeve bearing being the odd number). Its gearing is also longer in 5th and 6th, its A-DCCD is similar but by the looks the diffs are different, according to Prodrive it has suretrac front and rear where as the JDM cars only have a front suretrac and a mechanical rear diff (not a suretrac but something different? to still be proven)....
I'll leave it to you

Tony

PS did i say if you tune a JDM car its actually capable of more power??
Old 09 May 2004, 02:00 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Oh i also forgot to mention the quickrack steering rather than the somewhat pathetic fastrack the wr1 has (on the drivers pack for the GL which includes the A-DCCD and lightweight BBS alloys and Bridgestone RE070 tyres )

Tony
Old 09 May 2004, 02:56 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Actually the wr1 comes with less power than a JDM car, its factory power is 265 ps,
Come with 320 by the time the owner gets their hands on them, don't they?

it is also inferior in the engine department,
How can the WR1 be "inferior in the engine department" when it produces more power than a standard "GL" and is quicker on the road Tony?

You're no doubt about to bore us all with talk of nitrided cranks, twin scroll turbos and so-on, but would you have a clue exactly what these bits did if someone hadn't told you? As far as twin scroll turbos go, it's a useful thing to have, but not the be-all and end-all of performance upgrades you sometimes seem to think they are.

it doesnt have anywhere near the uprated parts the JDM car has, it has what, a vf 35 turbo as standard?
Your point being? It's hardly like the VF35 is crap, is it? It's more than up to supplying the power output the car is supplied with, which is all that counts at the end of the day, unless, as stated elswhere, you plan to use the car as a basis for further modification.

Its gearing is also longer in 5th and 6th,
For British roads that is arguably not a bad thing, as evidenced by the fact that a fair few of the folk who've retrofitted six speed boxes in classic shape cars have chosen UK gearing.

its A-DCCD is similar but by the looks the diffs are different,
Think you'll find that Mike Wood has confirmed here that the WR1's rear diff is a mechanical unit as per the JDM cars.

I'll leave it to you
Your loyalty to the Japanese cars is admirable Tony, but you run the risk of looking a little blinkered at times. Blindly telling people to buy the JDM car on with the claim that it "is a better car than the WR1 would ever be" puts you on very nebulous ground indeed when the WR1 is demonstrably superior in certain areas. In rushing to chuck your opinion in, you've also totally failed to find out what qualities Jonathan is looking for in the car. What if one of the primary considerations is that he wants full UK dealer support and warranty?

PS did i say if you tune a JDM car its actually capable of more power??
You would have to tune the JDM car before it produced as much as the WR1 does in standard (i.e. PPP fitted) trim Tony. It is also only if you get involved with additional tuning that the JDM's supposedly "superior engine" you were rattling on about earlier on would truly make itself apparent.

Last edited by greasemonkey; 09 May 2004 at 03:16 AM.
Old 09 May 2004, 08:25 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Tony,

what the RRP of the GL in Japan? Not that I'm looking (just got a UK impreza), but I was considering directly importing and might do that next time around.
Old 09 May 2004, 09:06 AM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Hi Jonathon.... Hope this helps....

http://homepage.mac.com/ben.chapman/WR1/Menu5.html

A whole load of pics and a couple of the interior as well.. Subaru press relase...

Ben

Still waiting for delivery date... Paid, insured,
Old 09 May 2004, 09:11 AM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by P1_BEN

Still waiting for delivery date... Paid, insured,
Hi ben paid for mine on 26th still no delivery date will let you know when it is so you can have a look also tom from subaru insured took me out in his on friday and i can say its f**king excelent i will pm you my mob if you want to know more!!!!!
Old 09 May 2004, 12:06 PM
SIBBO
Scooby Regular

I also have paid for my WR1 after quite a number of phone calls with my dealer it seems that thay have not done thier home work as I was getting told some thing differnt by each salesman i spoke to, you would expect them to now something about the car but i found out more about it on this web site. When I placed the order and paid my deposit I was told that I could expected delivery in April.
In april i asked when could i expected my car I was told that thay had 2 cars coming some time in april and i would be phoned at least 1 week before. 2 weeks before the end of april I phoned them again had thay any news told be told no but the cars are due in april but thay will phone Subaru Uk to find out.
I was then phoned back to be told that the car is coming on the 29th and that i need to send them a cover note from my insurance company which was not quite that easy in the end i had to take out another policy this was sent to them, I asked why was this needed to be told it was so the car could be registered but the car is still due on the 29th this is what thay have told.
After a number of more phone calls I got told that the cars are on a transporter but thay are not sure when to expect them.
Well april came and went and still no car, by now as you would expect i was getting fed up,so I asked did anyone now what is going on as it seems like the blind was leading the blind and I am getting fed up I will phone Subaru uk and find out sir. 10 mins later i am phoned back to be told that it seems the cars take 15 days to get to them after registration as the cars need Prodive to and the parts (which I new but expected to have been done already)

I have had the owners pack delivered with numbered tax disc holder and service book so it can't be long now can it

still waiting Tim
Old 09 May 2004, 12:52 PM
JonathanWR1
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, Thanks for them gorgous pics and the web link.

I am making my mind up fast now, Gonna go through to my local Subaru Dealer in Leeds.
Hopefully i might be lucky enough to get one before they all sell out.
Old 09 May 2004, 03:22 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SIBBO
I also have paid for my WR1 after quite a number of phone calls with my dealer it seems that thay have not done thier home work as I was getting told some thing differnt by each salesman i spoke to, you would expect them to now something about the car but i found out more about it on this web site. When I placed the order and paid my deposit I was told that I could expected delivery in April.
In april i asked when could i expected my car I was told that thay had 2 cars coming some time in april and i would be phoned at least 1 week before. 2 weeks before the end of april I phoned them again had thay any news told be told no but the cars are due in april but thay will phone Subaru Uk to find out.
I was then phoned back to be told that the car is coming on the 29th and that i need to send them a cover note from my insurance company which was not quite that easy in the end i had to take out another policy this was sent to them, I asked why was this needed to be told it was so the car could be registered but the car is still due on the 29th this is what thay have told.
After a number of more phone calls I got told that the cars are on a transporter but thay are not sure when to expect them.
Well april came and went and still no car, by now as you would expect i was getting fed up,so I asked did anyone now what is going on as it seems like the blind was leading the blind and I am getting fed up I will phone Subaru uk and find out sir. 10 mins later i am phoned back to be told that it seems the cars take 15 days to get to them after registration as the cars need Prodive to and the parts (which I new but expected to have been done already)

I have had the owners pack delivered with numbered tax disc holder and service book so it can't be long now can it

still waiting Tim
SIBBO thats sounds about right, its a mess up !!

dealers have no idea whats going on.

Im in the same boat, but not even a rough idea when the wr1 will be deliverd
Old 09 May 2004, 03:36 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

it does look like a nice bit of kit but it seems like all wr1 owners are being f~~ked around re covernotes,delivery dates etc-is there any real reason why all this is happening?
i know about post ppp reg but i got my ppp car with none of this bother,if i had paid £30,000 i would be getting very pi~~ed off about all of this
martin
Old 09 May 2004, 10:27 PM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
it does look like a nice bit of kit but it seems like all wr1 owners are being f~~ked around re covernotes,delivery dates etc-is there any real reason why all this is happening?
i know about post ppp reg but i got my ppp car with none of this bother,if i had paid £30,000 i would be getting very pi~~ed off about all of this
martin
They have had my 30K for two weeks now so expecting delivery in the next few days or I might start to get slightly anoyed !!!!!
Old 10 May 2004, 08:29 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have a WR1 on order - expected delivery 28/5, but not yet paid for.

Just a q about payment before delivery. What happens if we go to collect the car & it's scratched/damage or has crash repair damage? It's already our car & has been for some time, can we still reject it at that point?
Old 10 May 2004, 09:09 AM
WR1 Bro
Scooby Regular

Guess this would be a problem harder to fight if you have paid. The dealer I have ordered my WR1 from said they don't want payment until the car is safe in their hands and I'm there to collect it. Why are so many having problems?
Old 10 May 2004, 09:38 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by WR1 Bro
Guess this would be a problem harder to fight if you have paid. The dealer I have ordered my WR1 from said they don't want payment until the car is safe in their hands and I'm there to collect it. Why are so many having problems?
My dealer said that first, now they've changed their minds!
Old 10 May 2004, 09:40 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick
Just a q about payment before delivery. What happens if we go to collect the car & it's scratched/damage or has crash repair damage? It's already our car & has been for some time, can we still reject it at that point?
Yes, you still have full opportunity to reject the car.
Old 10 May 2004, 11:17 AM
WR1 Bro
Scooby Regular

My dealer said that first, now they've changed their minds!
Just out of interest, did you try saying no to paying before receiving the WR1?
Old 10 May 2004, 11:28 AM
wr1_mark
Scooby Newbie

I gave the dealer the cheque for mine on day of collection, I did not even have to pay a deposit at any stage!
Old 10 May 2004, 11:45 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

JonathanWR1,

I'm fairly local to you....working in Yeadon, just up the hill from K T Greens and I live in Burley-in-Wharfedale...give me shout on 07798 762285 sometime early evening and I'll happily meet up so you can take a few pics on mine, go out for a spin etc etc

I'm in Horsforth this eve at 18.30....and will be free from 19.00.

All the best

Tom
Old 10 May 2004, 11:48 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by WR1 Bro
Just out of interest, did you try saying no to paying before receiving the WR1?
I'm just starting to question them on payment. I'm having some issues with the finance company about it.
Old 10 May 2004, 12:41 PM
WR1 Bro
Scooby Regular

I'm just starting to question them on payment. I'm having some issues with the finance company about it.
I'd be tempted to call their bluff and explain you haven't got the funds until car arrives. Why should you part with £30k and have nothing to show for it. Furthermore, it should encourage the dealer to get you behind the wheel sooner.
Old 10 May 2004, 06:16 PM
Ice Man - WR1
Scooby Regular

My dealer told me that he has had to pay IM for my WR1, this may be why some dealers have insisited on full payment at time of registration. I have not paid my dealer he doesn't want paying until I receive the car (which is decent of him) which hopefully should be Saturday.
Old 11 May 2004, 01:02 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Cool

To all those about to pick up their new WR1.

You lucky lucky lucky barstewards

Will keep me drooling until the next special edition comes along (which I won't be able to aford either )

Have fun folks.

Quick Reply: Subaru Impreza WR1