Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dutch imports - tell me all I need to know !

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2004, 11:40 AM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dutch imports - tell me all I need to know !

Will be going along with a friend to look at a MY00 Dutch import over the weekend - what do we need to be aware of ?

Security: Cat 1 is fitted, what about locking wheel nuts - UK only?
Underseal: Did the Dutch cars come with the same level of underseal as a UK sourced car?

As far as I am aware the above are the only items which may differ from a UK car... anything else??

Cheers
Steve
Old 07 May 2004, 02:01 PM
HotRod
Scooby Regular

Steve

I imported a MY00 from Holland and the only differences you could spot was no 'Impreza/AWD' type badges on the boot (tho it does have SUBARU across)
I was assured that underseal was same standard as UK. The cars literally come from Japan in UK spec - ie they don't have to change lights, speedo etc at the dealer

There was no alarm so you have to get one fitted (which is done in UK anyway), ditto locking nuts. The service book is in kilometres but I did get a UK handbook from Subaru UK.

Can't think of anything else - just make sure its a good straight one with FSH. Mine has never missed a beat & I still love it
Old 07 May 2004, 02:29 PM
Vonzack
Scooby Regular

Mine came from Holland, had it for the 1000 mile service this week and had a good look over the UK WRX in the showroom.

Mine didn't come with a Cat 1 alarm or locking wheelnuts but couldn't see any differences other than that.

Not sure about the underseal.
Old 07 May 2004, 03:08 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

with regard to underseal, it seem to be down to the supplying dealer some did, mine came from Belgium and wasnt undersealed but the uk dealers soon tell you so you can get it done.
Old 07 May 2004, 04:43 PM
StevieB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the responses

Obviously nothing suspect to look out for then.. (not that I thought there would be) .....will just treat it the same as buying a UK car then

Cheers
Steve
Old 07 May 2004, 08:58 PM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

I bought my MY00 from Holland too - the above spec comments are correct + I got a warning triangle kit and a fire extinguisher mounted on the passenger seat as standard
Old 07 May 2004, 09:09 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure its quite a few £1000's cheaper than a proper UK car!

You will need to drop the price to sell when its your turn - so don't whatever you do, pay UK car money for it

If its cheap enough - go for it, they are the same - just sell much cheaper secondhand .... result!

Pete

Trending Topics

Old 07 May 2004, 09:16 PM
Ian E
Scooby Regular

As above, no problems with a Dutch import providing it is full UK spec. I Imported mine new from Holland. Obviously they are built on the same production line, its just the boat dropped 'em off in a different place.

Now the cars are out of warranty difference in value between EU and UK supplied cars is minimal. I was recently offered £9k straight cash from a dealer for my MY00 - doubt a UK car would fetch much more. I saved £5.5k on UK list when I bought the car so I am not complaining

Cheers,

Ian.
Old 07 May 2004, 09:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

My MY00 still has 12 months left on its warranty and will get a higher price than an import - market forces

Pete
Old 03 June 2004, 06:53 PM
kob999
Scooby Regular

Sorry this may seem like a stupid question but what exactly do you mean by underseal / what is it's purpose
Old 04 June 2004, 11:52 AM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

As mentioned above the price difference between UK and Dutch/Holland is now minimal as all MY00/99 will be out of warranty anyway (unless extended).

If it's clean and genuine, don't let the price put you off cause there are alot of ropey ones out there whether UK or not.

One big advantage of getting a dutch/holland/belgium import was that you could specify 'Sonic Blue' which was not available in the UK at that time.
Old 04 June 2004, 11:58 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by kob999
Sorry this may seem like a stupid question but what exactly do you mean by underseal / what is it's purpose
Underseal is sprayed onto the underside of the car to prevent the chassis steel from rusting. It's because in the UK we grit our roads, and the resultant salty solution can cause corrosion. As far as I know the Japanese have no need for gritters and therefore no need for underseal.