Sponsored by:

Mods Vs Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2004, 06:06 PM
Ozzy Scoobourne
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mods Vs Insurance

I've only changed the centre section and back box on my MY99 and now thinking about downpipe and a few other mods. At what point in modding your car would you say you really have to tell your insurance...???? Or do you say nothing and just hope it never becomes an issue....???
Old 06 May 2004, 06:25 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

Many insurance companies don't even charge for some mods, and I know the only mod I think cost me money was my PPP.

Given that IMHO insurance companies spend all the time trying to reduce or disallow claims, it would be silly not to tell them about all mods. If they charge you then go to another that doesn't.

Josh
Old 06 May 2004, 06:25 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Ozzy Scoobourne
I've only changed the centre section and back box on my MY99 and now thinking about downpipe and a few other mods. At what point in modding your car would you say you really have to tell your insurance...???? Or do you say nothing and just hope it never becomes an issue....???
VERY dodgy one that.

If ever in an accident, including a non-fault claim, the insurnace assessor who comes out to look at your car will have an eagle eye for mods.

They certainly asked me about my back box in a non fault, no queries case, eve with my own insurance company. The assessor did say, when I asked him, if it was ever an issue and he said yes, they do look.

I would declare them - just go with a decent insurance company.

My brother works for esure group and they even class stickers, mud flaps etc as mods, although they do not charge for them they still want to know as it affects the appearance of the car, and hence the attractiveness, daft as it may seem.

Hope that helps.

Great user name

Brian.
Old 06 May 2004, 06:26 PM
wrxmania
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Josh L
Many insurance companies don't even charge for some mods, and I know the only mod I think cost me money was my PPP.

Given that IMHO insurance companies spend all the time trying to reduce or disallow claims, it would be silly not to tell them about all mods. If they charge you then go to another that doesn't.

Josh
Josh,

Aside from L & V are there any copmpanies who don't charge except for major mods such as PPP? I know this question should be in the Insurance but it does relate to the original question.

Thanks,

Brian.
Old 06 May 2004, 07:25 PM
Ozzy Scoobourne
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm already with L & V so I'll do the decent thing and keep them up to date with any alterations. Thanks for the advice. Better to be safe than sorry eh...???
Old 06 May 2004, 07:34 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozzy Scoobourne
I'm already with L & V so I'll do the decent thing and keep them up to date with any alterations. Thanks for the advice. Better to be safe than sorry eh...???
Yeah

L & V are fine with any mods ( any address, any mileage etc!!! ) as long as engine capacity is not changed.

N
Old 06 May 2004, 07:56 PM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

But where do you draw the line? I'm currently doing my first mods,with a new backbox, and spoiler coming soon + detango headlights. Do I tell them each time I pop something new on, or wait and group them together? Or can I tell them in advance?

BTW, how are direct line with 'cosmetic mods', as I'm with them?

Trending Topics

Old 06 May 2004, 08:51 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not that it helps you, but my local Dutch insurer charged nothing for a de-cat downpipe and tek3 remap. They are only interested in mods which materially increase the value of the car. Looks like I'll be leaving that gold-plated intercooler in the shed then.

Also bizzare is the fact that my new Forester turbo (177 horses) is 150 quid more expensive to insure than my Impreza (250+ horses). The reason given is more weight. A Forester has less power and weighs more and is erm therefore more likely to crash or be stolen. WTF? ?

Suresh
Old 06 May 2004, 09:34 PM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Smile

Im also with L&V, i told them what mods i had and they said nothing, didn't even ask if i have a tracker (which i have) all they said was if i beefed up the BHP then i would need to inform them.
and seeing as i have just made a claim for a ding dong i had, s'pose it was a good job i told

Oh yes, ICE, is only covered upto £350 so you may well need to take out a seperate policy