Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd hand prices? Do we not want these cars anymore!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2004, 09:35 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default 2nd hand prices? Do we not want these cars anymore!!?

I know Subarus depreciate quite badly but what the heck is going on here?!

In the For Sale section are two 99/00 Classic Imprezas, probably the best spec'd UK car you can buy and they are going for peanuts!

I bought my MY00 6 months ago and the price of similar cars with similar mods has dropped a good 2K

Do we not want these cars anymore? or is it that no one wants to buy them? With these cars going so cheaply they'll begin to suffer (if not already) from the same stereo-typing that has befallen other classic Jpn high performance cars i.e. GTIR being same price as Saxos etc.

Why buy a Saxo when you can buy an Impreza.

Scary stuff!!!
Old 04 May 2004, 09:38 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that was the last year of the 'classic' shape wasn't it? So maybe the new shape/s have impacted prices for 2000 and earlier.
Old 04 May 2004, 09:41 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

look att he age of a GTiR compared to a saxo though. also insurance plays a big part.

the older generation will be able to buy cars like imporst etc which are cheaper anyhow with better spec'ed engines which means the UK cars are maybe slightly more undesireable thus forcing prices down for UK cars but the only people looking to buy a UK car now Id say is the younger generation (i.e me being 24 easier to insure compared to the imports) just paid £7500 for my98 terzo, thought it was a good but reasonable price to pay, some people are trying between 9-10k for thier but its still a 6 year old car, who wants to spend 10k on a 6 year old motor?
Old 04 May 2004, 09:44 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Not everyone wants them now due to the carjacking/stealing thing.

I have wanted a Scoob for years now and finally have the money to buy, run and mod a decent MY99/00 one, but I dont have a garage so it would be parked on the street. I just dont want the hassle of thugs breaking into my house of an evening to steal the car.

Its happened a few times round here now.

Unfortunate, but thats my own reason for not buying yet, so I would think others will be the same.
Old 04 May 2004, 09:45 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

And as davegtt says, i would probably go for a WRX or STi as well due to my age and being able to insure them now.
Old 04 May 2004, 01:05 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Wink

I feel that the scoobys are not the icon they once were. Prices of new scoobys have dropped dramatically over the past 2 years and this affecting the price of 2nd hand motors. Not to mention the early introduction of the blogeye due to the poor sales of the bugeye. Now, their are a number of cars that could give a scooby a good race while being a little cheaper.
(Ford RS, Civic Type R, Lean 225, Megane 225, etc etc etc)

The upside is:-
I purchased one for less than I expected!!
Thiefs have more choices meaning an even chance of mine being stolen!!
Old 04 May 2004, 08:58 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

5 year old cars that are almost 3 generations out of date (blob eye, bug eye, squid eye?) are bound to drop and drop.

Running costs, only average'ish reliability now and a lot more choice are other reasons.
My 99MY with a/c and plenty of genuinely desirable bits was £7700 in the trade 14 months ago if that helps you gauge the drop.