Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Sti's with PPP mapped individually...

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2004, 04:55 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Sti's with PPP mapped individually...

Just wondered if the PPP on Sti 04 is just a plug in replacement ecu or a remap. Read about someone on Scoobynet having problems with PPP'd Sti and taking it to Tsl only to find out that the map was appauling...
Old 27 April 2004, 05:08 PM
rotty
Scooby Regular

I think it a standard off the shelf job
Old 27 April 2004, 05:12 PM
Harry_Boy
Scooby Regular

Plug and go job. Not mapped individually.....
Old 27 April 2004, 05:12 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

It's a standard Prodrive developed map of the existing ecu
Old 27 April 2004, 05:15 PM
SUBAMAN300+
Scooby Newbie

My understanding is that when a dealer fits ppp, he fits a replacement ecu that comes from Prodrive then he has to send your original back to Prodrive for them to then remap to ppp spec and becomes part of their stock, ie its basically a swap - your original ecu for a remaped one from Prodrive.
Old 27 April 2004, 05:30 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

That's what I always thought the PPP was...I read somewhere on Scoobynet that the Ecutek software was being used by Prodrive to map the ecu's so obviously the map can be altered afterwards if you want to make more mods...but I also read about someone having such a bad PPP'd car that they went to TSL to get it sorted...thats kinda worrying if there's any truth in it.....
So far..(still not exploited the full rev range..working up to it!!!)..I'm not disappointed with the ppp on my Sti...soooo much improved over standard car that I bought the car with it fitted...but wondered then about the map.....
Old 27 April 2004, 05:50 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by crusher
That's what I always thought the PPP was...I read somewhere on Scoobynet that the Ecutek software was being used by Prodrive to map the ecu's so obviously the map can be altered afterwards if you want to make more mods...but I also read about someone having such a bad PPP'd car that they went to TSL to get it sorted...thats kinda worrying if there's any truth in it.....
So far..(still not exploited the full rev range..working up to it!!!)..I'm not disappointed with the ppp on my Sti...soooo much improved over standard car that I bought the car with it fitted...but wondered then about the map.....
I don't think the word 'Bad' is quite correct, the owner(s) in question just wanted their car to pull smoothly from sub3-7+K instead of a kick in the back at 4K & not much after 5.5K revs. Driveability rather than power was the issue AFAIK
It makes sense that an off the shelf Prodrive map may not suit every STi as there are bound to be differences between individual cars. A remap suited to the specific car carried out on the road under real world conditions is almost forced to be better, isn't it?
The PPP is excellent considering it has to attempt be be all things at once (ie power with warranty).
Just my 2p.
Steve

Last edited by STEVECHAPS; 27 April 2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 27 April 2004, 05:56 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

you obviously know of the car then...and so this was a remap of the remap so to speak!...I'd be interested to know what the figures were like on this car...

Also,can anyone tell if the PPP'd cars map has been altered..like during a service?.....
Old 27 April 2004, 06:28 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Crusher, check out the other thread which is ongoing at the moment about this which Mike @ Prodrive is involved in. Personal opinion: If you can afford the remap whether it be Bob Rawle or TSL or whoever, afford the risks associated with warranty loss when balanced off with the performance differential then go for it.
Old 27 April 2004, 06:59 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

cant believe people with years experiance winning W.R.C would build a crap map

could see em asking a bit too much doh for it though
Old 27 April 2004, 07:06 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

No you would think the map would be spot on...but then there will always be variation between engines,which could give differences in end results...but the fact that the mapper regarded the ppp cars map as appauling I find quite worrying...He also seemed to find it easy to improve upon..again worrying and indeed not too good when you've paid your readies for a PPP...