Sponsored by:

Advice please for driving in France

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2004, 09:09 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice please for driving in France

I'm off to Southern Brittany in May and will be driving there from Cherbourg - about 250 miles to my destination. I would like to ask if there is any advice that you can give me from those that have experienced driving in France already.

And yes, (before anyone says) I know that I have to drive on the right hand side of the road..... LOL

Do they have Shell Garages over there that sell Optimax?? What kit do I need to take with me - I've got some spare headlight bulbs - do I need to get a warning triangle, etc??

Your posts are much appreciated in advance.

Many thanks

Terry
Old 25 April 2004, 09:28 PM
rdkr
Scooby Newbie

Hiya,
I live in France and have a scooby. You need to use 98 at the fuel pump and you can get stickers( translusant) to change your headlight beam. A VERY BIG ALSO.Spot fine for speeding are payable in cash if you do not have a French cheque book and there are now a lot of speeding cameras in France. try autoplus.fr for details And the motorway are timed from you collecting your ticket. so lots of stops for coffee to scrub off the speed.
Bonne Chance

Originally Posted by terryb
I'm off to Southern Brittany in May and will be driving there from Cherbourg - about 250 miles to my destination. I would like to ask if there is any advice that you can give me from those that have experienced driving in France already.

And yes, (before anyone says) I know that I have to drive on the right hand side of the road..... LOL

Do they have Shell Garages over there that sell Optimax?? What kit do I need to take with me - I've got some spare headlight bulbs - do I need to get a warning triangle, etc??

Your posts are much appreciated in advance.

Many thanks

Terry
Old 25 April 2004, 09:28 PM
SNAP
Scooby Regular

I have driven this route couple of years ago. Shell/Optimax was available but not that frequent - best fill up to the top as soon as you see one (think there is one in Cherbourg). I also took some Octane Booster for insurance, and would recommend you take the items you mention (triangle, etc) specially if you end up driving at night. In anycase, most French "Super San Plum" I found was 98 Octane, usual "green" label clearing stating "98" - take care not to fill the "4Star" (think it was a light Blue colour)! If in doubt, ask!

DON'T take any Radar Detector as you will be done to the tune of several hundred Euros - cheaper to just pay the fine!

Last but not least, the French don't know the Scooby round there and will do the customery "right up the bumper, suddenly pull out to over take, etc". Don't let the side down! We loved it when a Citroen 2CV tried this (he ended up ungulfed in his own smoke)!

Happy Hols!
Old 25 April 2004, 11:40 PM
Mr Zapie
Scooby Newbie

Done some long runs in France, not in a Subaru (yet - arriving next week!!!), as for average times between booths on the peage I have averaged 90 mph (according the 'car computer'), heart sank as I saw the Gendarmes at the toll point, luckily for me - no reaction.

I'd be interested to know how common prosecutions are for this type of speeding offence.

Radar detectors are a definate No No, best to remove any signs of a detector.

On a brighter note, leaving the offside indicator on makes for rapid polite progress, rather than aggressive headlamp flashing.

The only other thing to watch for are small diesel saloons flying past in the inside lane if you're lane hogging, and if you're really lucky you may spot a Dutch car that isn't towing some sort of mobile accomodation.

Have fun
Old 26 April 2004, 03:06 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Speaking of driving on the left..... Dont drive when you are tired; this is when you will be likely to make stupid mistakes; usually at junctions and roundabouts. Ive done both, driving into the wrong side of the carriageway is bad enough but going the wrong way around a roundabout is SO embarrasing, let alone dangerous.

Simon
Old 26 April 2004, 09:39 AM
Bricksh
Scooby Newbie

I'm also planning a trip to France this year. I thought the timing issue on the motorways was a myth, if not whats the max you can get away with as I was hoping to do Langadoc in a day.
Old 26 April 2004, 10:47 AM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

I too think its a myth, perharps rdkr can give some more information?

To do this would require the clocks in the booths to be synced and accurate. While this is possible, I just doubt it done.

BTW I love driving in France, the roads are quiet an the drivers, for the most part, are keen to get a move on
Old 26 April 2004, 01:20 PM
geldy
Scooby Regular

don't forget normal m-way limit is over 80mph (130kph) in the dry. Historically the French were relaxed about speeding and many would cruise at 100mph. However the current safety clampdown means they are tightening up and average speeds are coming down. Went past a police car at 90mph on Saturday and they didn't bat an eyelid.

PS they will target foreigners though in obvious places - so speeding on your way back to a ferry port is not advised
Old 26 April 2004, 01:25 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys your comments are all taken on board.
Old 26 April 2004, 02:37 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I posted a thread of a similar nature last week "Running The Gaunlet in France".

Someone suggested buying this months BIKE magazine as they'd done an article on riding in France. The journalist says the timing between toll booths is a myth, but I won't be risking it too much.

You need greencard, insurance docs and probably suggest euro breakdown......

And GB sticker.....
Old 26 April 2004, 02:46 PM
pbee
Scooby Regular

done a few k's miles driving in europe, and will be doing the cherbourg run to the dordoigne in july.

Basically the tool booths take a ticket at one end then go to the automatic credit card booth at the other end, not the manned ones. unless there is a copper before the booth you will be OK.

keep cash in euro's to pay on the spot fines, dont worry to much about the cameras even if they do trace you and send you a ticket dont pay it. In my 6 trips so far this year most of the motorway is done at 100mph + i didnt see one copper, but do not spped in built up area's, you are asking for trouble and a night in a french cell.

keep radar and laser detectors out of sight, have anything stuck to the windscreen and you will get pulled, had some strange looks for a gps mouse before !!.

im not sure on the optimax front on my last trip to france it wasnt badged as optimax just sans plomb 98, but might be confused with Belgium.
Old 26 April 2004, 02:59 PM
SUBTYPER
Scooby Senior

Hey mate one thing is that if you are travelling on a dual carriaway or motorway and somebody flashes their headlights. Chances are they are not letting you out. Just be patient and make sure they have slowed down to let you change lanes. Have fun and enjoy real easy motoring mate. Its fantastic out there.
Old 26 April 2004, 03:14 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

I am going to France too.
What is the Greencard. I have heard of this but can't for the life of me remember what it is.
Thanks
Steve
Old 26 April 2004, 03:34 PM
my94
Scooby Regular

One thing to note.I broke down on a toll road in france with AA eurocover.It turns out that u have to get a private company to take your car off the toll roads so that an AA vehicle can then take over.So try not to breakdown on a toll road or it'll take 4 hours to get someone to look at the car.
As for timing between toll booths........this is a myth.I lived in France for 9 months and averaged 100mph on the toll roads at night.........no problem.Just drive safely around built up areas and watch for speed cameras.