Sponsored by:

Has the law changed for speed cameras

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2004, 10:07 PM
Merv
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has the law changed for speed cameras

Driving to work this morning,Bel550 started beeping,checked speed was at 40mph as this spot is used to gather revenue from roadside portable cameras quite frequently.As I approached the camera there was a 4ft x 3ft sign leaning against a lamppost saying "Safety Camera" with the speed camera logo underneath.

I have never seen any warnings for portables before now,so has the law changed or have they just taken to much money and want to give us a fighting chance?
Old 25 April 2004, 01:02 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

As far as I know $camera vans and fixed camera can only operate in signposted area.

Traffic police can use laser guns etc anywhere but must pull you over to issue fine.

Bob
Old 25 April 2004, 01:47 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
As far as I know $camera vans and fixed camera can only operate in signposted area.

Traffic police can use laser guns etc anywhere but must pull you over to issue fine.

Bob
Ermmm, nope. The police can use a laser gun anywhere connected to a video camera for evidence and the first you will know about it is a NIP through your front door. I speak through personal experience.
Old 25 April 2004, 08:35 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brit_in_Japan
Ermmm, nope. The police can use a laser gun anywhere connected to a video camera for evidence and the first you will know about it is a NIP through your front door. I speak through personal experience.
Then why do $camera vans need to be signposted and police using video camer with laser dont, when its the same thing (ie mobile unit, laser speed check with auto NIP)?

As far as I was aware traffic cops dont give auto NIPs in un-signposted areas.

Where did you get yours? Did the road have camera signs up?

Bob
Old 25 April 2004, 08:37 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I may be wrong, but it may be to do with the funding. If the cameras are signposted, then the money from fines goes to the local police force, if not, it goes to the government. I know this was the case for Gatsos, but not sure if it applies to mobile units or not...
Old 26 April 2004, 10:48 AM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
Then why do $camera vans need to be signposted and police using video camer with laser dont, when its the same thing (ie mobile unit, laser speed check with auto NIP)?

As far as I was aware traffic cops dont give auto NIPs in un-signposted areas.

Where did you get yours? Did the road have camera signs up?

Bob
This was in November 2001, so admitedly a little while ago. It was on the A449 travelling north from Newport, somewhere near Llantrisant. I only put my foot down for about a 4 mile stretch, no laybys, no junctions, no traffic. They must have been set up on a bridge over the road but I saw absolutely nothing otherwise I would have slowed down. It was police operated, but they were obviously more interested in catching people than being a visable deterrant.

At the time I don't recall seeing any speed camera signs, but it was 2 and a half years ago so it's difficult to be certain now.

They didn't give me much of a fighting chance, if I'd known they were targetting that road I'd have been a good boy. One lives and learns.
Old 26 April 2004, 10:55 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I think things may have changed over the last couple of years with the introduction of $camera vans and govt fair play policy of marking cameras etc.

Somebody must know for sure?
Old 26 April 2004, 10:24 PM
Merv
Scooby Regular

It seems strange that after months of hidden cameras(portable roadside camera, van parked up a side road out of sight)that they now give you warning,maybe they are getting worried that there will be nobody with a licence left to fine.