WR1 vs Evo

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2004, 09:25 PM
Deep Blue Mica
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WR1 vs Evo

Hi all!

Before carrying on, let me explain that I love Scoobs and really miss the flat-four rumble of my beloved old car.....

I moved over to the dark side a year ago....8 FQ-300....no regrets!
However, like a few Evo owners, I've been wondering about the WR1, especially now that it has the adjustable centre diff to help with a bit of rear action.....

Anyway, coming along the A414 from Chelmsford this morning (just cruising enjoying the weather), a Scoob comes up behind me obviously looking to play.....wasn't too sure what exactly it was, so let him pass.....it was indeed a WR1....love the wheels and the colour, but the logos really look crap!
The geeser was really going for it and the car looked twitchy at the back under braking!
Sadly though, I was able to pass him comfortably and leave him......left him for dead out of a slow, tight roundabout. What should worry soon-to-be owners is that it didn't really look or perform any differently than the STi.....probably wasn't fully run-in, although you'd never know it from the way it was driven!.....but I can't see it getting anywhere near the claimed performance figures.....especially 0-100 time!

And the driver was none too friendly......looked like a young Victor Meldrew(no hard feelings if you're reading this mate!!)

Is this car anything to do with Days of Chelmsford?

Seriously guys, don't buy till you've tried......I'll reserve my final judgment until then!

DBM
Old 24 April 2004, 09:29 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Prob only running upto 4000 rpm
Old 24 April 2004, 09:33 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

In 6th
Old 24 April 2004, 09:44 PM
Brian the Sn@il
Scooby Senior

yes 4000 RPM is a bit of a bugger.

EVO vs WR-1 (being run in) LOL !
Old 24 April 2004, 09:48 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Hope the Evo 8 is faster than the Evo7
Old 24 April 2004, 09:50 PM
Sticky Stuff
Scooby Regular

Location: ShyTot graphics Location: Squires Bar Location: Wakecastlefract

He was probably delivering it for some poor b'stard.

Brand new WR1, delivery mileage only...
Old 24 April 2004, 11:17 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

Whats the MR340 going to do to the WR1,think the only part it will see is the boot!!! looks like mitsi have got one up again,an FQ300 with just a de-cat(50 quid) puts out more bhp/lbs than the WR1,so on paper should be quicker,will handle better anyway,AYC sees to that,and having had a STI7PPP with loads of handling mods i can honestly say my FQ feels so much more stable quicker round corners and is without any question quicker,iv always loved scoobs but the EVO is without doubt the leader at the moment,maybe subaru will respond with something,but rumour has it that mitsi are bringing out a close to 500hp monster very limited and very expensive,still the competition between mitsi and subaru is all good news for us buyers,but at the moment im sticking with the EVO8 FQ300,cause there is nothing about to match it nor do subaru have anything in the pipeline,and some spy shots of the EVO9,look wicked believe its going to look like this years rally car.I saw a WR1 at Tileys the other day and thought it looked great and Prodrive have produced a great car for the money bur for the same price you can buy a MR320 which is a better car.wouldnt mind either,MR320 or WR1 both great,but at the moment im sticking with my VIII FQ.

Trending Topics

Old 25 April 2004, 12:28 AM
WR1
Scooby Regular

hell, I spend more time on here than in my motor so think I'll stick with the Scooby for now...

Old 25 April 2004, 12:33 AM
nellie
Scooby Regular

hehe!! well said matey!!,addictive or wot!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 25 April 2004, 03:54 AM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

Originally Posted by nellie
Whats the MR340 going to do to the WR1,think the only part it will see is the boot!!! looks like mitsi have got one up again,an FQ300 with just a de-cat(50 quid) puts out more bhp/lbs than the WR1,so on paper should be quicker,will handle better anyway,AYC sees to that,and having had a STI7PPP with loads of handling mods i can honestly say my FQ feels so much more stable quicker round corners and is without any question quicker,iv always loved scoobs but the EVO is without doubt the leader at the moment,maybe subaru will respond with something,but rumour has it that mitsi are bringing out a close to 500hp monster very limited and very expensive,still the competition between mitsi and subaru is all good news for us buyers,but at the moment im sticking with the EVO8 FQ300,cause there is nothing about to match it nor do subaru have anything in the pipeline,and some spy shots of the EVO9,look wicked believe its going to look like this years rally car.I saw a WR1 at Tileys the other day and thought it looked great and Prodrive have produced a great car for the money bur for the same price you can buy a MR320 which is a better car.wouldnt mind either,MR320 or WR1 both great,but at the moment im sticking with my VIII FQ.

Why stop at 320 when you could have the MR340 my m8 picks his up in a couple of weeks after trading in FQ 330
Old 25 April 2004, 08:59 AM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

I'm hopefully picking up my MR340 june 1st. The high power mitsubishi rumour is apparenlty very real. It's supposedly coming out later this year to celebrate x years of mitsubishi motorsport. It might be called the MR450 and will cost ~£45,000
Old 25 April 2004, 09:04 AM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kyl3cook
The high power mitsubishi rumour is apparenlty very real. It's supposedly coming out later this year to celebrate x years of mitsubishi motorsport. It might be called the MR450 and will cost ~£45,000
If they don't go skint first
Old 25 April 2004, 09:10 AM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

true...

perhaps now's the time to get a good deal

'I'll have that one for half price...and I'll also buy the front desk and I'll take the secretatry off your hands '
Old 25 April 2004, 09:30 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Dare i say it. TYPE 25!. Would give the both of them a run for it's money IMHO, although i know it's unfair comparison,2.5lt etc.would still buy one before a evo or Sti,

Mac.
Old 25 April 2004, 09:33 AM
nellie
Scooby Regular

was only comparing the MR320 to the WR1 because of the price,its the same,and with a de-cat you would be at 340hp anyway.
Old 25 April 2004, 12:07 PM
Blue_Boy
Scooby Regular

My Spec-C feels significantly faster than the Evo VIII I had before it and also faster than the Evo VII with 340bhp I had before that. Round corners I'd say there was nothing in it now, but when I had the original tyres on it, it was the gripiest car I've ever driven, the RE070's certainly made a difference, but with 18" wheels, I can't get them

I'm back on Scoob's and this car is convincing me to stay with em (oh and it costs about half as much to run as my Evo's did)
Old 25 April 2004, 01:59 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Blue Mica
Hi all!

Before carrying on, let me explain that I love Scoobs and really miss the flat-four rumble of my beloved old car.....

I moved over to the dark side a year ago....8 FQ-300....no regrets!
However, like a few Evo owners, I've been wondering about the WR1, especially now that it has the adjustable centre diff to help with a bit of rear action.....

Anyway, coming along the A414 from Chelmsford this morning (just cruising enjoying the weather), a Scoob comes up behind me obviously looking to play.....wasn't too sure what exactly it was, so let him pass.....it was indeed a WR1....love the wheels and the colour, but the logos really look crap!
The geeser was really going for it and the car looked twitchy at the back under braking!
Sadly though, I was able to pass him comfortably and leave him......left him for dead out of a slow, tight roundabout. What should worry soon-to-be owners is that it didn't really look or perform any differently than the STi.....probably wasn't fully run-in, although you'd never know it from the way it was driven!.....but I can't see it getting anywhere near the claimed performance figures.....especially 0-100 time!

And the driver was none too friendly......looked like a young Victor Meldrew(no hard feelings if you're reading this mate!!)

Is this car anything to do with Days of Chelmsford?

Seriously guys, don't buy till you've tried......I'll reserve my final judgment until then!

DBM
Real world...

Thiers nothing between a FQ300 and A STI-ppp especialy not mine.. thats a bit lighter...

had few runs against FQ300 and thier equal on the road...
+A well driven STI-PPP is easyly a match far an FQ

the problem with the STi is the spring rate is far too soft compared to the Mitsi...and the Mitsi has 235 section tyres, that aslo helps.
Old 25 April 2004, 02:44 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Plus the Evo doesnt understeer like a FWD
Old 25 April 2004, 03:33 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

This looks a bit serious, I hope the come out the other end and after all the banter we the customer need competition to improve the cars

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3651933.stm

Last edited by chrisp; 25 April 2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 25 April 2004, 04:14 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisp
This looks a bit serious, I hope the come out the other end and after all the banter we the customer need competition to improve the cars

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3651933.stm
thats sad, they make some nice cars. I wasnt aware they were in trouble.
Old 25 April 2004, 04:15 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

yep nor me,what with the shogun and shogun sport,great 4-wheel drive,and their pick-ups.
Old 25 April 2004, 04:57 PM
Fidd
Scooby Regular

Mitsubishi can only dream of selling as many Evo's as Subaru do Impreza's.
Old 25 April 2004, 05:30 PM
Bigwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fidd
Mitsubishi can only dream of selling as many Evo's as Subaru do Impreza's.
Evolutions are on a more limited production run on purpose.
Old 25 April 2004, 05:54 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Bigwood
Evolutions are on a more limited production run on purpose.
They havent got the money to build any more than they do
Old 25 April 2004, 06:27 PM
Silver Knight
Scooby Regular

They limit production to keep them out of the chav's hands
Old 25 April 2004, 06:38 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Knight
Yet they will still get there....

Tony
Old 25 April 2004, 07:13 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Silver Knight
Yeah like some bod is sitting in japan thinking lets not make to many incase the chavs get hold of them
Old 25 April 2004, 07:20 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Dont forget not all imprezas are sti's with ppp. The evo and sti ppp are directly competeing for the same market in the UK, 300bhp motors. Subaru has other flavours though, both na and wrx, 4 and 5 doors and standard stis. What % of scoobs sold are stis ppp and number of units and how does that compare with evo sales.
Old 25 April 2004, 08:58 PM
jason4656
Scooby Regular

i just sold my jdm sti my03 and got an evo8 import, not an fq, in standard form i would say handling and steering is better, its much more involving to drive, cant really take hands of the wheel at all, or one handed driving, power at the moment doesnt seem to be up there with the scoob, bottom line for me is, i love them both
Old 25 April 2004, 10:08 PM
gnome
Scooby Regular

I have had my sti8 ppp for a year now, paid my deposit for a wr1 2 months ago but i am having second thoughts after the write ups i have read, so on saturday i took a fq300 out, seemed a lot slower than mine but suprised when sales man said your already doing 100, a lot more stable, i think the ride was better than i thought it would be, different car to drive but the buzz was not there but all the same very impressed, well the sales man is getting some figures for me against a 320 and 340 then i will decide the weekend when i hope to see a wr1 in the flesh and a better drive in fq320.

Quick Reply: WR1 vs Evo