Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any 3rd party mods warranty safe?

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2004, 09:39 AM
mrklaw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any 3rd party mods warranty safe?

Possible new rear spoiler, back box and wheels.

Back box maybe warranty unsafe, but what about wheels and spoiler? Surely if they are not directly engine/performance related it shouldn't affect the warranty?

Is it possible to check with a dealer and get something in writing if they are OK with the mods? I'm not paying £900 for an official rear spoiler.
Old 21 April 2004, 10:09 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

In my personal experience, IM have been good about mods that do not affect the part that you are claiming for.

For instance, I upgraded my brakes (Brembo/APs) and when my NSF wheel bearing went, they replaced it no problem, as any reasonable person can see that brakes are unlikely to have an effect on wheel-bearings.

Simillarly putting an aftermarket spoiler on, putting a claim in for an engine blow up will not affect it BUT don't put in a claim for bodyrust after the holes that were drilled for it go rusty.

IM do NOT like De-cat downpipes and dawes devices - period. Some people's warranties have been simply discontinued after it was discovered that those modifications were fitted.

As a rule of thumb then, IM will generally honour warranty claims for parts/components that would not be adversely affected by modifications. They are reasonable in their approach as long as you are reasonable with them and do not try and hood-wink them by removing mods before you claim (which is fraud) then you should be OK.

In the case of a back-box, it is unlikely to adversely affect the engine in the case of engine warranty claims.

All the above is not gospel but based on experience and common sense, which is what IM generally do. Do not hold me responsible either if your particular instance is refused as each case will be judged on merrit.

Also, I would not push the written aspect. Up until now, no official letter from IM has ever been received by anyone as to what is/isn't acceptable menu style. Base your approach on common-sense and honesty.

For the record, PTMW! had uprated brakes, suspension, a non-official PPP installation using official parts, some cosmetics (lip spoiler, HIDs) and partook openly in track days and a "shootout". I had a couple of warranty claims, namely NSF wheel bearing/hub, rear suspension mount, window mechanism and light washer jets. All claims were met in full by IM, even those (wheel bearing/hub and rear suspension mount) that might have been attributable to "abuse" through track days if they had wanted to be narky, which they weren't. As I said, my experience of reasonableness demonstrated by IM.