Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i've scratched the hell out of my windscreen,can the scratches be removed?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2004, 02:21 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy i've scratched the hell out of my windscreen,can the scratches be removed?

christ knows how i've done it, but must have picked up something on the wiper and now i've got loads of fairly deep scratches that follow the arc sweep of the drivers wiper blade

can the window be buffed or polished or something to get the scratches out?

they're really annoying and right in my line of sight, if cleaning doesn't get them out can i claim on the insurance for a new windscree, or does it have to be broken?

i don't have protected no claims, if i claim for a window will it affect my NCB or is it a separate cover?

any thoughts will be MUCHO appreciated.

cheers
Old 17 April 2004, 02:22 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

replacement wont affect cover, just cosy you £50. you should see the size of the stone chip i have, and its cracked, will miss it come MOT time as have got used to it now
Old 17 April 2004, 02:24 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

-y+t*
Old 17 April 2004, 06:07 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
replacement wont affect cover, just cosy you £50. you should see the size of the stone chip i have, and its cracked, will miss it come MOT time as have got used to it now
cool, cheers mate.

anyone know if these can be removed though to save me going down this route?
Old 17 April 2004, 06:26 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

I'd just get a new one on your insurance mate, easiest option. normally £50 excess and wont affect your NCB.

Alternatively I think glass scratches and chips can be removed with glass welding (I think that's what it's called, but don't know how effective it would be on a long deep scratch, it's normally used on chips)

James
Old 17 April 2004, 06:29 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little_idiot
I'd just get a new one on your insurance mate, easiest option. normally £50 excess and wont affect your NCB.

Alternatively I think glass scratches and chips can be removed with glass welding (I think that's what it's called, but don't know how effective it would be on a long deep scratch, it's normally used on chips)

James
The repair can only be done on chips

Only cure for scratches is replacement
Old 17 April 2004, 10:14 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

I've been told - but have not tried it myself - that scratches can be polished out of glass using, firstly, Brasso metal polish and then Silvo metal polish.

If you've decided to replace the screen anyway, may be worth trying this out first?

Trending Topics

Old 17 April 2004, 10:21 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tentenths
I've been told - but have not tried it myself - that scratches can be polished out of glass using, firstly, Brasso metal polish and then Silvo metal polish.

If you've decided to replace the screen anyway, may be worth trying this out first?
might well give that a go, cheers for the replies guys, will see if anything makes it a bit better tomorrow.

ta
Old 17 April 2004, 10:50 PM
Tentenths
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hoskib
might well give that a go, cheers for the replies guys, will see if anything makes it a bit better tomorrow.

ta
I'll be interested to know how you get on (for future reference). If you haven't already got them, Brasso and Silvo can be found in most supermarkets.

Good luck.
Old 17 April 2004, 11:03 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

if you can get sum "jewlers rouge" you can sort the scratches, watchmakers and such use it to repair watch faces (strangley enough) its expensive
Old 17 April 2004, 11:24 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Try asking some local car valet's in your area,I remember one coming to do my bosses old BMW windscreen,IIRC he used an electric mop,it took a while,but all the scatches were removed
Old 18 April 2004, 09:24 AM
EEKTHEMOUSE
Scooby Regular

Ok you can polish scratches out as long as you cant feel them with your finger nail - otherwise the polishing will cut the glass to deep and create a lens which will give you distorted vision.
Your insurance covers you for accidental damage and not general wear and tear - which they class scratched windscreens as.
The clue is to tell your insurance company and the scratches are in your vision and that they are distracting you from driving - when given the go ahead get the persons name.
The reason I say this is because Windsreen replacement companys are contracted to replace BROKEN glass and some will ask for authorisation before starting.
Also dont go for a mobile service ask to take the car into their workshop and leave it their for as long as poss.
Two reasons : you will get a better job AND you get to see their workshop -and infact if they have one !