Sponsored by:

Performance figures debate...

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2004, 10:07 AM
Gubbins
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Performance figures debate...

Ok, please don't shoot me down guys and girls, this is just an observation...

I've been a subcriber to Autocar mag for 10+ years now, plus Performance Car mag since it started, so seen the full history of Scoobs and their road tests. What I find a bit odd is this....

Subaru used to issue somewhat conservative performance figures...say 6.something sec 0-60, and then mags like the above would love to come along and publish lower figures after testing the car...say 5.5secs ish.

Now move forward 10 years. Take the STI (and WR1 for that matter, although only prodrive figs available). Subaru claims 0-62 5.5 and 0-100 in 13.something. With PPP it's supposed to be 4.6 and 12.1 ish. Now we're in the position of every car mag taking a pop at the figures and returning somewhat lower figures than expectations. Just seems like Prodrive and Subaru have missed a trick in terms of marketing - if you're a little more conservative in terms of claims, the mags will love to improve on them. As it is, the position we're in now is that Prodrive seems to be claiming (according to mag test results) unrealistic (I'm not saying unachievable) performance figures, setting peoples expectations too high and disappointing them....

...which is all very daft, as all the Scooby turbo cars are fantastic, very bloody fast (esp. when compared to 95% of other boxes on the road).

I know 0-60 is pointless, but it's the principle I'm talking about. They should take a leaf out of Mitsubishi's marketing book - deliver cars with higher power than quoted and faster than quoted. That way everyone's happy.

Still love my car to bits though!
Old 16 April 2004, 11:58 AM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gubbins
Ok, please don't shoot me down guys and girls, this is just an observation...

I've been a subcriber to Autocar mag for 10+ years now, plus Performance Car mag since it started, so seen the full history of Scoobs and their road tests. What I find a bit odd is this....

Subaru used to issue somewhat conservative performance figures...say 6.something sec 0-60, and then mags like the above would love to come along and publish lower figures after testing the car...say 5.5secs ish.

Now move forward 10 years. Take the STI (and WR1 for that matter, although only prodrive figs available). Subaru claims 0-62 5.5 and 0-100 in 13.something. With PPP it's supposed to be 4.6 and 12.1 ish. Now we're in the position of every car mag taking a pop at the figures and returning somewhat lower figures than expectations. Just seems like Prodrive and Subaru have missed a trick in terms of marketing - if you're a little more conservative in terms of claims, the mags will love to improve on them. As it is, the position we're in now is that Prodrive seems to be claiming (according to mag test results) unrealistic (I'm not saying unachievable) performance figures, setting peoples expectations too high and disappointing them....

...which is all very daft, as all the Scooby turbo cars are fantastic, very bloody fast (esp. when compared to 95% of other boxes on the road).

I know 0-60 is pointless, but it's the principle I'm talking about. They should take a leaf out of Mitsubishi's marketing book - deliver cars with higher power than quoted and faster than quoted. That way everyone's happy.

Still love my car to bits though!
Agree buddy... same thoughts were going on in mt head... also read autocar for the same time and they are usally bang on with the times...
The latest times stated by Subaru\Prodrive... well noone has got anywhere near them... remeber a quote from last years 0-100-0 challenge...
"nothing bar running the scoob into a brick wall would reclaim the second it lost on the way to 100" thats it... it did it in 13 seconds... the Evo in 11.99

Mmmmmm
Old 16 April 2004, 01:31 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dazza's-STi
"nothing bar running the scoob into a brick wall would reclaim the second it lost on the way to 100" thats it... it did it in 13 seconds... the Evo in 11.99

Mmmmmm
LOL

Tony