Sponsored by:

motorpoint- subarus. checked out 03 plate today then found this place

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2004, 08:13 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question motorpoint- subarus. checked out 03 plate today then found this place

as you may know from my earlier thread I went to check out a 03 plate WRX (6kmiles £18k(bit steep))

now went to www.motorpoint.co.uk and found new WRXs for £16599.
Thats awful cheap! they are brought in from Europe and Ireland.

So does this make it an import?

what are the implications of buying one of these over one from a dealer.

Tax/insurance/re selling etc. whats the difference from a dealer ??

Its says "Same Cars, Different prices"
I think this may be to good to be true.

HELP!!!!
Old 13 April 2004, 08:22 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

They are from Cyprus, not YET a member of the EU. Buy with caution. You may find you can't get it serviced at a Subaru dealer, let alone a warranty claim. They have no rust proofing either so after a winter in the UK the salt on our roads will leave it a pile of rust after 3 months.
Old 13 April 2004, 08:26 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Hi - a mate of mine got his from MP.

He got the local scoob dealer to check out where the car came from - Holland apparently.

Not saying this is the case for them all but it was for his.

BTK
Old 13 April 2004, 08:33 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

right. no rust proofing
do all these type of cars not have rust proofing?
Old 13 April 2004, 08:41 PM
Chokup
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Bought mine from Motorpoint 3 years ago,cars are imports,they are uk spec and come with warranty.No rust on mine yet and dealer will part exchange it if i want to get WR1,offered me 1k less than a uk car as trade in which thought was good to say how much saved from the start.
Cant loose if you ask me
Old 13 April 2004, 08:42 PM
Granby
Scooby Regular

agree with bluto22b

they come from Cyprus.
they don't have extra rust proofing.
they don't come with a alarm, although this does give you a chance to choose the one you want.
they have no warranty, you have to buy one.

in the end i went for a dealer as i had a trade in and they gave me a better deal and the difference was very little and i had peace of mind, hope this could be of some help.
Old 13 April 2004, 08:44 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by Poor Guy
right. no rust proofing
do all these type of cars not have rust proofing?
PG go to the top of the page.Click on "Search".Type in "MOTORPOINT".

Just about every question you are about to ask about MP has been asked & answered in the posts that come up from your search.

Will save you time & energy m8.

Mark.

Trending Topics

Old 13 April 2004, 08:49 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

What is it with people and Cypriot cars? these are not the runt of the litter they are built in the same factory in Japan as your UK car but destined for a sunnier climate.
How much is a tin of underseal and a brush? £20 max
You'll get a 1yr warranty and alarm from Motorpoint, these are identical to your cars in UK showroom minus a bit of underseal that's all.
Old 13 April 2004, 08:57 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Danny B
they come with an alarm
Soz m8, no they dont you have to pay for the alarm & the tracker(if its the sti) as i enquired about them as there only 15 miles from me in glasgow, took the price to around 23.5k & with a kangaroo warranty & piece of mind i paid an extra £1000 to get my uk spec one (24.5k)
my 2ps worth

sti-04!!

Last edited by sti-04!!; 13 April 2004 at 09:30 PM. Reason: didnt finish it off right as i am a tw@t !!!
Old 13 April 2004, 09:02 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Cyprus are still on course for joining the EU on the 1st of May, wait until then and you will have a pan-european warranty the same as any where else in Europe. As mentioned above you also get to choose an alarm and tracking system of your choice making your security a little bit better than standard UK cars, IMO. Don't worry about the underseal any garage can do it and it won't cost a fortune.

Last edited by sillysi; 13 April 2004 at 09:10 PM.
Old 13 April 2004, 09:12 PM
crazyav
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Granby
agree with bluto22b

they come from Cyprus.
they have no warranty, you have to buy one.
Not sure about the warranty bit - website states that they do come with a warranty (although whether it's from subaru or not I don't know...)

Edited to add - website states manufacturer's warranty...

Crazyav
Old 13 April 2004, 09:14 PM
Danny B
Scooby Regular

The ones at Trade Sales have a CAT2 alarm when I enquired earlier on in the year, but in all fairness it's six of one, half a dozen of the other when you weigh up the pro's & con's of a "grey import" compared to a "UK" car.

£16,995 Car from Cyprus with a 1yr warranty
£400 good alarm
£50 for underseal
call it £17,500 otr

£19,500 car from UK with 3yr warranty

Is the extra 2yrs warranty worth £2k that is the question?
You pays your money.....
Old 13 April 2004, 09:54 PM
Foxmod
Scooby Regular

Just my 2p worth, but you can't get a PPP in the UK on one of these either, you would need to drive to a Cyprus based dealer to get one

Dave
Old 13 April 2004, 10:31 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

yawn
Old 13 April 2004, 10:33 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

shop round.. new UK MY03/04 car £18500!! best if you have no px too
Old 13 April 2004, 10:43 PM
Fidd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
shop round.. new UK MY03/04 car £18500!! best if you have no px too
Where's cheapest place for a proper UK car then ????
Old 14 April 2004, 01:53 AM
scooby-zeus28
Scooby Regular

When cyprus join the eu on the 1st may a uk dealer will put a ppp upgrade on for u. As for buying an import it might be worth importing it from cyprus your self after the 1st may might be cheaper than mp. Worth a look in to mate.
http://www.subaru.com.cy
Old 14 April 2004, 07:50 AM
bigknd
Scooby Regular

I,ve ordered WRX from main dealer for £18600 and as Subaru are offering 3 years FREE servicing (or 30K) on the WRX at the moment you cant go wrong IMHO.

bigknd
Old 14 April 2004, 08:45 AM
Fidd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigknd
I,ve ordered WRX from main dealer for £18600 and as Subaru are offering 3 years FREE servicing (or 30K) on the WRX at the moment you cant go wrong IMHO.

bigknd
Sounds a good deal.

They are not giving too much away with the servicing really I suppose ?

It's only going to be the smaller services, and I guess you still have to pay for brake parts and stuff like that ?

Still a good deal though.
Old 14 April 2004, 11:46 AM
bigknd
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yes m8 consumables like brake pads, wiper blades would not be included, but as I'm going to be doing around 30k gives me the first year free motoring...... Now if only Subaru offered free insurance

bigknd
Old 14 April 2004, 05:55 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Fidd
Where's cheapest place for a proper UK car then ????

i looked every where around 7weeks ago.. did my head in so bought the Smart Car to keep me on the roasd for now.

Heritage Leicester offered mr 04 plate brand new turbo at £18300 and 18500 for WR Blue.. with no px!!!

I wewnt lookled at MP cars at Derby.. he said its with THEIR warranty (not subaru)... then go to Beechdale derby and ask if they will do warranty work/servive the car bought from motorpoint!!!!

MP by in from Cyprus or Malta.. as there countries are outside the EU...... The euro is not good against the pound.. so these 'cheaper' cars are not coing in from EU countries like Holland... as its not cost effective to do so.. by the time you add your alarm/tracker.. the UK car with FULL UK subaru/IM warranty is the safer and better option to go for.
UNLESS.. like me.. i was looking for a nearly nu Second hand DUTCH car.. these you should pick up for about £15k.

depreciation ona BRAND new car iis as good as 15% off.. whether its a dutch Import or UK car.

if brand new cars can sell at £18300..... £2k off list price!!! makes you think!
Old 14 April 2004, 07:38 PM
keevster
Scooby Regular

i bought an import from malta. dont get a UK warranty, but do get a 3 year pan european warranty, that has to be sanctioned by malta, before work can be carried out in the UK. And to be honest, it aint any hassle whatsover, its an identical car, came with full cat 1 alarm, 1 years roadtax. and as for the comments on underseal, this is true, they do not have the same undersealing, it was a scooby dealer who pointed this out to me after 1st service and began to try and charge me £115 to do the job. but the cheaper option is to nip down to a local car store(what i did), pay £20 for 5 litres of wax oil and do the job yourself.
i got my car from www.litchimports.co.uk and paid just over £17.000. extremely happy with the car, would recommend the service.
As for motor-point, stay clear. as some of the guys stated, you'd be better buying a UK car, as MPs scoobs work out way over the £18.000 mark, and thats even without the pan european warranty.

Malta actually comes into the EU this May, so all things should change with pan warranties an stuff.

Paul.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:44 PM
Stuart Knight
Scooby Regular

Cool

try www.drivethedeal.com for a very good price on a proper UK dealer supplied car. You have to register but they don't spam you and its free

All prices are for UK supplied 4 door cars. You pay UK dealer. Price includes metallic paint (£250 option), delivery to your door and tax etc.

WRX £18850
WRX SL £20230
WRX STi £23220
WR1 £29990 (can't win 'em all )

Last edited by Stuart Knight; 14 April 2004 at 07:54 PM.
Old 14 April 2004, 07:49 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

As far as I recall, you CANNOT fit PPP to ANY European sourced car. If you want PPP fitted to a car sourced from Holland, you will have to leg it to the land of the windmills and tulips and get it fitted at a dealer there. Considering that you can expect a 10% discount on UK dealer Impreza's I think the gap is closing fast.
Old 14 April 2004, 09:03 PM
whiteyisback
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up hhhmmmm now lemme think ??

u cud:
a) spend lots of money on a UK car that will line the pockets of IM and your friendly local subau dealer or,
b) import a car yourself (or buy from an importer) save at least a grand or more and spend the saving on a full stainless steel exhaust system (decat)and Ecutek remap.

thats what i did and have never, ever looked back since.....i actually paid £16750 for my new MY03 WRX last year and loved spending the savings on a few mods........

No offence to anyone but i just dont see the point in paying a fortune for a new WRX and then paying another small fortune PPP'ing. Put it this way you might be able to haggle a deal on a new UK WRX for say £18,750, then by the time you've added the essential PPP kit (£1,600) it's bumped the total up to £20,300 - for a 260 BHP scoob (btw i've never seen a PPP'd motor achieve that on a rolling road).
For about £19,000 you could own the exact same car with a proper alarm and a real, genuine 280 - 290 BHP ...and with the change of over a grand u cud go and have all the suspension sorted (and boy does the car need it) and still have change for a 2 week holiday to brag about your new car at the swim up bar !

Well thats what i'd do anyway. oops i already have sorry.

....oh and did i mention a fully decatted, tuned, new WRX sounds about 15 million times better than a PPP'd strangled by a pee shooter exhaust/CAT new WRX ?.....

again sorry, dont mean to offend those who've already taken the plunge and bought a UK scoob but i thought the guy should see every view point.
Old 14 April 2004, 09:30 PM
Markyboy uk
Scooby Regular

Whitey, where did you get your ECUtek remap and how much was it - I'm thinking of having it done too.

PS - Sorry to change the subject

Mark.
Old 14 April 2004, 09:51 PM
Fidd
Scooby Regular

I guess paying the extra to buy from your local UK dealer is OK if you feel that the service / customer care, and that sort of thing is there when you go back to them on future occasions.

You hear of people getting bad service from the minute they parted with the cash at the UK dealers. If its like that at all, you may as well save some money and go elsewhere for a euro car, or whatever.

One slight concern is possible trade in values later on with a non UK car.
Old 14 April 2004, 10:01 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

b) import a car yourself (or buy from an importer) save at least a grand or more and spend the saving on a full stainless steel exhaust system (decat)and Ecutek remap.

thats what i did and have never, ever looked back since.....i actually paid £16750 for my new MY03 WRX last year and loved spending the savings on a few mods........
That's exactly what I did except I paid £16,145 for my car, got a s/h prodrive backbox and midpipe for £180, an Ecutek upgrade for £525 from PE and I have more than a WRX03 PPP for about £16,850.
Old 14 April 2004, 10:28 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

as long as ppl know what they have bought and know what they have paid.. and no what they will get PX/re sell in a year or so.. you pays your money u takes ya choice.

a Import car in 12months time will be re selling at £14k.
Try a PX at a dealer you wil get less.

PX on an UK MY03 at a dealer when i was looking the other month was only £14k.. for a UK car!!!!
I had UK cars offered me at £15k... by private sellers cus they had been offered £1k less at a dealer on Full List price on NU cars!!!
Old 14 April 2004, 10:29 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

oh.. and has the MALTA/Cypriot car got side air bags??

the car that was offered me.. a non EU car.. was UK spec!!! BUT did not have Side air bags.
All MY03- UK cars have side airbags on the nu style bucket seats!

Quick Reply: motorpoint- subarus. checked out 03 plate today then found this place