Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Angel... does it need to be dash mounted?

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2004, 04:46 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Road Angel... does it need to be dash mounted?

Does the Road Angel need to be dash mounted ?
(Does it need to be in the open)

I was looking at the wires today to see how if could tidy up my dash at all,
Does the centre fittment that houses the clock on the bugeye just pop out if I gently put a screwdriver under it ?
I would like to conceal some of the wires under there..... also has the Angel itself got to be mounted on the dash ?
I just have a single cd player with no tape deck, under it there is a small plastic pocket.... I was thinking maybe I could remove that pocket drill a large hole in the back of it then mount the Angel in there nice and tidy, then run the wires out the back and up to where the laser sight is mounted on the front screen.

Any ideas team ?
Simon

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 12 April 2004 at 04:47 PM. Reason: I really must learn to spell lol
Old 12 April 2004, 04:51 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it has to be dash so it has unrestricted access to the sky to locate the satellites. When I put mine behind the laser unit it didn't pick up any satellites for the entire drive to work - it normally only takes a couple of minutes.

Pretty easy to try though, just move it and make sure it reads the speed.
Old 12 April 2004, 04:53 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

I think it does have to be dash mounted.

If you want something more discreet then origin b2 is where it's at.

Old 12 April 2004, 05:05 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers BedHog.... That makes sense matey guess I'll just have to get the wiring sorted out.

Thanks Nevetas.... Nice fittment on that one for sure !!

Cheers
Simon
Old 12 April 2004, 05:16 PM
Foxmod
Scooby Regular

I fitted mine on the dash, in the drivers corner near the door, with the laser detector wire tucked behind the foam between the screen and the dashboard (MY03 STI).

Dave
Old 12 April 2004, 06:24 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks Dave... That sounds like a good idea I'll have a little look at that see how it sits..... did you use that cupped base they supply or have you mounted it straight on the dash itself ?

Simon
Old 12 April 2004, 07:04 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally it does have to be dash mounted cos the GPS reciever is built into the unit so needs to be in line of sight of the sky, however i believe blackspot do make an external antenna for it for use in vehicles with heated front windscreens that block the GPS signal.
So you could tuck the main unit away under your head unit and just have the antenna and the laser detector up on the dash, reducing the clutter somewhat, however it would be alot more difficult to see the screen on the road angel, therefore loosing the information it displays.
Up to you though, but possible.
It would be nice to build it into the dash totally so you did not have to keep removing it for fear of thieving T*ats, is any one brave enough to take their RA apart?

Dan.

Trending Topics

Old 12 April 2004, 09:30 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

The RA can be nounted under a thin(ish) plastic covering. I have a 98 classic with the top opening 'Sunglasses' compartment.

I have the RA placed in there and I am about to run the spare cable to the back of the lighter through this area... and It works just fine.

The bonus for mounting it there is so that I don't have to throw it in the glove box when I pop out of the car for two minutes and it stays in the box, hidden away. I never use the sucker mounting and relied on the sticky back to keep it in place, with absolutely no hope when cornering hard, as it usually ended up in my lap or on the floor and was a little difficult to retreive safely.

You MAY be able to mount it under/in the dash itself as long as you can;

1. Get the unit right up against the underside. This is dependent upon the thickness of the dash or the amount of distance between the unit and clear sky. If this has wires and other units in the way, then I think your stuffed.
2. Get is as near to the windscreen as poss. See above.
3. Hear it!
4. If the front panel is hidden, not be annoyed at not being able to turn it off when approaching the cameras at 1 MPH and the bloody thing keeps bleeping for the 15 minutes your crawling along....
5. No bothered by loosing the 'manual store' button if you can't get to the box.

The true road speed is a little pointless if you know that your speedo is 5 MPH below true speed, so reading the display is not imperitive. I know all the bleeps, so know what type of camera I'm approaching..

Hope this helps.
Old 12 April 2004, 09:39 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks Gents,
I may look into the possibility of an external antenna that would free my choices up overwise it's hide the wires time !!!

Alan was that your pics I was looking at a week or so ago, mounted in the dash pocket nice one.... Classic freindly mod that one, no pocket on a bugeye

I know what you mean by getting used to the bleeps...

Mounting it hidden under the dash is not something I had considered, that may be a little more than I was planning on..... and as you say it is a pain removing it when you park somewhere so for added security it would be nice to fit it somewhere away from immediate sight without hindering its operation.
I have mine resting on the dash also as i found that plastic shelf they supply rather cheap and tacky and yes it does slide around a little.... when I have it sorted I may use one of the velcro pads to fix it on... that should stop the little bugger from trying to escape lol
When I get myself organised I'll post some pics

Thanks
Simon

Last edited by Silver Scooby Sport; 12 April 2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12 April 2004, 09:44 PM
Foxmod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Thanks Dave... That sounds like a good idea I'll have a little look at that see how it sits..... did you use that cupped base they supply or have you mounted it straight on the dash itself ?

Simon
Hi Simon,

Just used the plastic "L" shaped thing, with the two suckers and velcro ?? type stuff on it. I worked the wire back to the lighter via the dash and centre console - almost hidden from view

Dave
Old 12 April 2004, 09:55 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks Dave

We were typing at the same time then matey
Go on then I'll dig the shelf out and see how it fits, as you can see above I am not the biggest fan in the world of it but I'll give it a go and see how it looks. It's a shame they made such a good warning device but the mounting of it is not the best installation in the world

I think it will be travellling around the dash over the next few weeks until I can locate it somewhere that I am happy with.

Thanks
Simon
Old 12 April 2004, 10:11 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

MY03 install guide + LRC100
Old 12 April 2004, 10:38 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

Simon,

No mate.. but I know the one your talking about. It was that thread that got me thinking about mine..

MWP.. is that swtch, mounted next to the RA, to switch off the audible sound? Or to turn the LRC on/off? Biggest probelm with the RA is the inability to turn it off and just rely on the light.

If it is, have you got the details on how to work it in?
Old 12 April 2004, 10:40 PM
mwp
Scooby Regular

switch is RA-LRC100 adaptor ...turns LRC100 off.