Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfire due to missing bonnet vent backing plates??

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2004, 05:29 AM
danc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Misfire due to missing bonnet vent backing plates??

Hi All,
Hope somebody can help with this one... I've only enjoyed this car for 4 days!!!

sorry for the long story...
Finaly got my '95 WRX on the road.I bought it damaged and after body repairs, re-fitted the engine and gearbox myself. Engine has had new oil,filter,plugs,timing belt.
Ran very very well for only 4 days.It was only driven in dry weather, I garaged it every night. I left it outside one night,later that night it rained heavy, and the following morning I noticed a mis-fire/ hesitation. I noticed this misfire at low rpm almost immediatly after starting the engine.The engine note was not as clean, with the odd spluter.Up until that morning the engine never missed a beat from cold.
I hit the road to be sure, and on mild acceleration the hesitation was so bad I almost hit my head of the steering wheel. Lifting off the pedel slightly, the car then pulled again.
I removed the fuel filter which had a lot of water in it. I have since renewed this.I don't however think this was the cause, I don't think this water got to the injectors.
After emptying the filter and reconnecting once I had clean fuel flowing, the misfire was gone on light throttle, but beyond 0.5 bar boost, would return, as if the engine was on 3 cylinders.Again lifting off the pedal, the engine was back 'on all 4', or changing up a gear to reduce the rpm had the same effect.

The backing plates for the bonnet vents were missing at that time.That's why I think the rain had soaked something..??
I don't think the fuel filter was the cause, but the fact that the warm engine had dried out whatever got wet through the vents while I was working on the filter...

Anyone seen problems with the backing plates removed and rainwater?
Or was this just coincidence?,
what else would make the car run crap from start-up the next morning, after it running great the night before?

From other posts I know now that I must drain off some engine oil, as it's just above the max mark.I'm away from home ( and the car ) for a while, and hope to get some ideas, things to try when I get back.
Would a faulty MAF give a mis-fire or would it just be damping the performance?
again sorry for the long story...
Thanks.. Those first 4 days were excellent
Old 10 April 2004, 07:34 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

my (limited) guess is a wet/damp/ faulty MAF......

Dan
Old 10 April 2004, 08:46 AM
Pete The Biker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danc
I removed the fuel filter which had a lot of water in it. I have since renewed this.I don't however think this was the cause, I don't think this water got to the injectors.
Are you sure you haven't still got water in your fuel tank somehow? That could account for your problems?

Pete
Old 10 April 2004, 10:07 AM
bladerider
Scooby Regular

Fuel starvation.
I removed the backing plates on my car two years ago and have never had a problem with water. the car sits outside in all weathers.

I had the exact same symptoms as you describe. It would disappear when the engine had warmed up. Turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. Got a brand new one supplied at fitted for only £50. Instantly cured the problem.

Last edited by bladerider; 10 April 2004 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10 April 2004, 10:16 AM
Johnny sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bladerider
Fuel starvation.
I had the exact same symptoms as you describe. Turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. Got a brand new one supplied at fitted for only £50. Instantly cured the problem.
My car suffers the same thing in the morning. Very bad indeed.
I have a piper cross induction kit and have removed the side vent panel. I think that water may have got into it so i have replaced the panel. I hope this stops it but may look into the fuel pump thing.
Where did you get the pump for £50? Was it an uprated on or standard?

Thanks

Johnny
Old 10 April 2004, 10:29 AM
Eder22b
Scooby Regular

I removed mine as well and haven't had any problems so far.
Old 10 April 2004, 10:35 AM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

Default Sounds like HT leads?

Definately keep your blanking plates on -I have a HKS induction, took them off for more air cooling and then it rained. Car was sluggish.

However, the problem was actually down to a crack in one of the HT lead causing a misfire. Check by putting your ones back on if you changed them, or if you didnt try putting old sparkplugs back in - it may also be one of new ones is defective.
Old 10 April 2004, 11:09 AM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Mine has no backing plates either & runs a treat
Old 10 April 2004, 01:40 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Water may have got into the coil?spark plug area.
I had similar effects after jetwashing under the bonnet.
Only way to get it out was to remove the HT leads(MY99) and blow dry with an airline.There are products like damp start which remove water.WD40 is supposed to do the same thing.

Strange how you got water into the fuel filter.There maybe water in the tank somehow.???
Old 10 April 2004, 01:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that under one of the vents sits the electrics, possably the reason your not suppose to remove them
Sounds like you have water somewhere though, a misfire normally means your not getting a spark so as stated, check your ht leads/spark plugs for water.

Tony
Old 10 April 2004, 01:52 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

most early(pre 96) cars suffer from faulty or cracked coil packs, take them out and pull the rubber shroud off and check.

what you are describing sounds very familar, i have seen alot of early cars with this problem.

new set of coil pack are £200 from subaru.

think its the heat from the engine that kills them, also a good idea to put the covers back on the bonnet vents

Last edited by jonny gav; 10 April 2004 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10 April 2004, 09:10 PM
danc
Scooby Regular

Vent backing covers were fitted a day or 2 after the problem first appeared.I didn't have them for the first few days since I fitted the facelift bonnet and lights etc. so my old covers didn't fit the newer bonnet.

I pumped all fuel from the tank before renewing the filter, I checked and no water was pumped from the tank. I don't think water in the filter on a car this age is unusual.

Think it was NGK 'R' plugs I fitted before fitting the engine.
Is there anyway I can tell by looking at the coilpacks to know if there faulty?
will ther be visible cracks/ tracking ??
Does sound reasonable though.. 4 dry days car runs great. On start up after rain one morning runs crap thereafter.
Old 10 April 2004, 11:17 PM
andy-type r
Scooby Regular

Water/moister in either of the two square multi plugs, behind the battery, or the round plug under the maf, could cause you problems.
If you roll the rubber boots back on the coils you can sometimes see the cracks. A mate superglued them, with good results, until he could afford new ones.