ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Le Mans 2000

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2000, 09:57 AM
IainT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Before I go and get some sleep (none in over 60 hours!)thought I'd see who else went.
Saw over a dozen scoobies, many with SIDC stickers inc. one on the same Cherbourg - Poole crossing yesterday. Awesome weekend, scorchio weather and super roads, (oh and cheaper fuel )
Top banana
Cheers
Iain
Old 19 June 2000, 01:09 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was there. Yes a lot of UK reg. Scooby's. and thanks to your all, it is a very nice habit you have - waving to other Scooby's I'll try to adapt it.
My was a Blue MY99 with 17 OZ gold, DK tax free plates. Parked on the Red car park, where I saw a Silver and a red Scooby.

Le Mans was OK for a Danish person living in France, as Tom Kristensen in the winning Audi is Danish.

Lars
Old 19 June 2000, 01:17 PM
IainT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lars
you weren't in the group of Danish folks dressed as vikings and dyed red and white hair permenently camped opposite the pits were you?
At 4am when you're starting to become a zombie that lot certainly made you smile every time the Audi or the Danish Panoz pitted What a friendly bunch.
I was in Parc Bleu next to about 30 odd racing Pumas! (they kept coming over and looking at mine and a silver STi nearby, made the maybe thinking they'd made the wrong decision )
Cheers
Iain
Old 19 June 2000, 02:49 PM
Stu
Scooby Regular

I was there, saw a P1 - who was that? I also saw someone doing a 4 wheel burn out nr. indianapolis on friday, I was very impressed!
A bit of a dull race but an excellent weekend and drive!
Old 19 June 2000, 04:47 PM
Gilly
Scooby Regular

Angry

Hubby is currently sleeping after returning from Le Mans this lunchtime Portsmouth - Le Havre route). He took my reddish blue MY98 but has brought it back in one piece. I had to stay home and mind Sprog 1 - next year the tables will be turned me thinks!!!!
Old 19 June 2000, 07:31 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was present again, what an absolutely marvellous weekend.How pished and sun burnt did I get!!Hooked up a T.V for the footy, amazing how popular we became on the campsite.

Our capsite Vert was truly dominated by varuious regions of the TVR club and the all proudly dispayed their banners.May be an official SIDC run to Le Mans 2001 would be a good idea??

....Ian
Old 20 June 2000, 12:15 AM
NickM
Scooby Regular

I was there (metallic blue Supra) and saw a lot of very, very nice cars, Scoobies included.

Just about recovered from lack of sleep, *lots* of lager and sunburn. Great weekend!!

Respect to the guy in the black Porsche that drove with his head out the window when his bonnet flipped up.
Old 20 June 2000, 08:23 AM
chrisd
Scooby Regular

Was also there for the weekend,sadly had to go on sunday afternoon,next time i will stay til monday.Saw very quit Danish people (after losing with 0-3 from us ) saw very happy british people (after beating the Germans) and there were sooo many nice cars around from antique Bentlys till the latest sportcars ,very impressive.! Maybe next year all Impreza drivers can join and have their own campingplace,that would be nice.
Till next year!
bye Chris
( camping blue ,blue impreza gold alloys)
Old 20 June 2000, 09:01 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Four us went down in my 1994 WRX and played with som interesting cars at 140 mph on French motorways.
We missed our Cherbourg-Poole ferry on Sunday and had to scoot to Calais - wicked weekend and will go next year.

Anyone interested in arranging a group trip???????????????
Old 20 June 2000, 11:44 AM
WAL
Scooby Regular

Cool

Had a cracking weekend as well..just coming back to life now. I was parked just down the hill from you Lars in parking Rouge, lost count of the number of scoobs I saw.
It was the hottest Le Mans I'd been to, provided a good excuse for exploiting the ludicrously cheap Lager.
Be back again next year, Karting Nord or Bleu.

Wal
Green 98 MY
Old 20 June 2000, 02:25 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Cool

I was there. Engine went on way to Calais

[This message has been edited by Craig H (edited 22-06-2000).]
Old 20 June 2000, 02:38 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Saw the guy driving the porshe with his head out of the window on Eurosport. "Moron" was the nicest thing the commentator said. As he pointed out - the slightest touch from another car and he woud be an ex-racing driver. - No belts, no nothing......

Old 21 June 2000, 12:20 AM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Talking

I too was there in my silver sti v 4 dr along with a tvr griffith 500, a ginetta g27 and a 205 gti.

Baking heat, beer, cars, stinky toilets with big queues, not showering for days. Can't beat it

Maison Blanche camping seemed to have a good selection of other nice cars and some very swish motor homes.

There seems to be very little in it performance wise between the griff and an sti V.

Thinking about a de-cat pipe now for a bit more noise and hopefully some flames

Old 21 June 2000, 10:25 AM
WAL
Scooby Regular

Cool

dsmith
Can't agree with your comments, I admire the guys determination to get back to the pits and get the bonnet sorted. He had been racing for over 23 hours , I wouldn't pack up at that stage and neither would any racer.
Get yourself out of your armchair and go there next year and see what it is all about, I think you may not have posted if you had.
Old 21 June 2000, 01:19 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

Did anyone see the DB7 which had suffered the head on crash and parked in the ditch ??

Hope the humans involved were OK, car looked pretty FUBAR though !!!
Old 21 June 2000, 05:01 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

Saw TVR Chimera on the Le Mans to Alencon road upside down with rear suspension ripped off - gendarmes and fire service looking sombre - no sign of ambulance.

Quite shook up the four of us.
Old 22 June 2000, 09:36 PM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Saw the DB7 (just outside the village of Sees, IIRC). Les plods were there when we passed. I reckon the DB7 had been on the wrong side of the solid white line when the French Sierra pulled out of the petrol station. Not pretty.

Camped at Karting Nord. Hottest Le Mans I can remember. Even the freezer packed in with the heat so we couldn't keep the beer cold enough!

Anyone spot us in the '58 Ford T-Bird? Not mine, but good for a cruise.

Great time, but going back to the Indy500 next year instead.

Brian (Legacy RS)
Old 26 June 2000, 04:12 PM
Ian Sutton
Scooby Regular

Talking

just for you Kempo.