Sponsored by:

warning afterburner vortex

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2004, 10:39 AM
explore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation warning afterburner vortex

just want to tell you chaps that have this, go check under your car make sure its not touching the green drive shaft. as mine was when fitted, i have to strech the rubbers to get it away from it not sure if it will stay there, i have contacted scoobyworld and waiting for there reply, i will keep you posted.

just thought you all should know.
Old 09 April 2004, 10:49 AM
forest172
Scooby Regular

on my 03 sti it`s on about 3/4 of an inch away from the bumper is this ok/normal on the angled exit???
Old 09 April 2004, 10:59 AM
explore
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by forest172
on my 03 sti it`s on about 3/4 of an inch away from the bumper is this ok/normal on the angled exit???
about right i think mate i got the same one on a wrx, you need to look under the car there will be the reaar shaft's green on mine not sure on yours, make sure its not touching it in anyway, mine was touching the rubber gator things, but i managed to wigle the hole thing away from it about 5mm but im not sure its gonna stay there. im not really happy about this and i blive scoobyworld have a big pro if this is for all, cos it will really damage the drive shaft.

court dates and all i sould think if this is a prob for all.

hope i have help'd mate
Old 09 April 2004, 11:27 AM
forest172
Scooby Regular

i`ll check when I get home cheers.
Old 09 April 2004, 11:30 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

Angry

If it's a general problem I'm sure Scoobyworld/H&S will rectify it without the need to resort to court dates, etc. Give them a chance first
Old 09 April 2004, 01:15 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carl
If it's a general problem I'm sure Scoobyworld/H&S will rectify it without the need to resort to court dates, etc. Give them a chance first
just posting to make sure you all knew, a thing i belive should have the right to know
Old 09 April 2004, 01:25 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I've got the H&S decat system on my 00 Classic

I had this same problem.
Exhaust was touching the rear inner CV joint.
Took the car to H&S (as we fitted the exhaust ourselves) and they ended up hammering a dent into the top of the pipe so that it cleared the joint and making a new centre section with differently angled endplates so that the system is 'forced' away from the body of the car.
Still doesn't fit/seal very well at the join between the centre section and the d/pipe - the donut gskt. on the d/pipe just seals it although the pipes don't join or sit straight.

Although I must say H&S were very good about it and did what they could to rectify the problem.
Not very good though - when you've just spent the best part of £600 on an exhaust!

If your system is touching the CV joint , then you WILL hear it banging when you drive over bumps.

Last edited by little'un; 09 April 2004 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09 April 2004, 06:25 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

Location: erm erm erm well it does lots to the gallon but it aint a scoob doh

i had this on my 02 sti 7 then put afterburner on 53 wrx when it went in for 1000 mile service it got took off as it was rubbin an the drive shaft took it back to scooby world . he said he would send it back to be re-bent at hayward and scott after 2 weeks i got my afterburner back it fit better on the car an did not rub it now fits on my sti 8 no probs just call them m8 tell em it needs re-bending even mention my car if u like? hope this helps cheers paul
Old 09 April 2004, 08:52 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I think if I spent 600 quid on an exhaust and it did not fit I would take it back and get my money back.

A mate of mine makes exhausts for sports cars and he makes some very complicated V8 stuff and it always fits perfectly - so there is no excuse really.
Old 09 April 2004, 09:18 PM
zenyck100@hotmail.com
Scooby Regular

are we talking about the straight or angled exit version???

ive got the angled version and will be checking mine first thing in the morning

Zen
Old 09 April 2004, 09:38 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said carl.

Let's not all jump to conclusions until the problem has been resolved.

At least give people a chance to rectify the problem before suggesting such things as court dates, etc.

Regards

Simon
Old 09 April 2004, 10:38 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I have the same problem with a TSL Firestorm actually, so it's not just you afterburner boys
Old 09 April 2004, 11:21 PM
kev 1
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with mine its the angled exit ,lucky i noticed it almost rubbed a hole right throught the exhaust and broke the driveshft clip off ,grease everware .I needed the car for work so poped round to local exhaust place and asked for slightly longer rear rubbers ,lay under and put them on, clears it by about an inch now. cheers kev
Old 09 April 2004, 11:34 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

I have a hayward & scott system on my classic, and it fits like a dream, a little pricey maybe, but it's suberb. Ian at H&S is really helpful, have a chat with him before doing anything drastic
Old 10 April 2004, 09:52 AM
forest172
Scooby Regular

Checked mine last night and yes, I can see where the green plastic seal has rubbed a few times on the exhust. It hasn`t put grooves in the plastic seal just shaved the dirt off. A problem or not??????
Old 10 April 2004, 11:14 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Explore

We have received your email, that was sent 3 minutes before putting this post up and I have also replied to you. Also we were closed yesterday.

I believe that you really should have provided us with a chance to reply to you and if necessary inspect the exhaust before posting on this board.

Certainly as the webmaster has already stated, there is no need to start with court dates etc.

With the Afterburner Vortex we have had no reports to date of ill fitting or rubbing of any kind.

As with all of our products, we try our utmost to ensure that the customers are always 100% happy with them (as I'm sure many members of Scoobynet will testify), and if this is not the case you need to tell us and we will always try our very best to rectify the problem.

I will discuss this matter with the manufacturers of the Afterburner Vortex and contact you on Tuesday.

regards

Neil Thompson
Scoobyworld Ltd
Old 10 April 2004, 11:19 AM
Huxley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by explore
about right i think mate i got the same one on a wrx, you need to look under the car there will be the reaar shaft's green on mine not sure on yours, make sure its not touching it in anyway, mine was touching the rubber gator things, but i managed to wigle the hole thing away from it about 5mm but im not sure its gonna stay there. im not really happy about this and i blive scoobyworld have a big pro if this is for all, cos it will really damage the drive shaft.

court dates and all i sould think if this is a prob for all.

hope i have help'd mate
Old 10 April 2004, 11:37 AM
T-1000
Scooby Regular

Just checked mine and there is about 1cm clearance. No rubbing marks.
Old 10 April 2004, 12:15 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Question TSL firestorm clearance problems on drive/axle shaft?

i've just got a 2nd hand firestorm and have noticed a bit of wear on the pipe which it seems is from the drive/axle shaft.
it was previously fitted to a STi6 TypeR WRC Ltd and going on my UKmy99, do the type R's have bigger drive shafts which caused this wear?

i'm not very clued up technically so although i'm quoting a drive/axle shaft if this is incorrect please don't bollock me

i assume it's done for flow, but my magnex kicks down a bit to avoid the driveshaft, whereas the TSL cuts it a bit fine by being straight.

i've not fitted it yet, so there may be plenty of room, i'm just posting this to get some feedback and maybe a solution if i DO have probs (it'll be monday and i guess nothing will be open if i need to buy anything!)

cheers

edit: sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread mate, this supposed to be a new post not a reply DOH!!

Last edited by hoskib; 10 April 2004 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10 April 2004, 06:13 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

hey i just posted so every one could check there, having safety in mind, how would you like it if i didnt and it went through someone shaft and cause an ATR? feel pretty bad then i'd guess?
Old 10 April 2004, 06:24 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

wtf is a ATR??
Old 10 April 2004, 06:31 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

yeah, wtf is a ATR??

do you think he means RTA??

Old 10 April 2004, 07:46 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
yeah, wtf is a ATR??

do you think he means RTA??

yeah sorry ment rta was eating and typing lol
Old 10 April 2004, 08:28 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

I personally think you should have waited until the problem was rectified by the supplier, and then posting your thoughts for everyone to check.

These things can not be compared to custom items, which are made with the car in the workshop. For mass market stuff, a car is used initially for the prototype exhaust, and then a "jig" is made from that exhaust to form the basis of all future exhausts.

Over time the jigs can slip a little, and this may be the case here. It shouldnt be a major a problem, and should be easily rectifiable. H&S dont offer long gaurantees on their products for nothing.

steven
Old 10 April 2004, 09:01 PM
wrx bill
Scooby Regular

Location: erm erm erm well it does lots to the gallon but it aint a scoob doh

as i said before they took mine back an rebent the pipe it now fits gr8 just ask them im sure they will do it for u
cheers paul
Old 11 April 2004, 10:43 AM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

All - we have already offered to have the exhaust collected and returned to the manufacturer, inspected and modified if required.

The exhausts are covered by a 'no quibble' 25 yr warranty against manufacturing / material defects.

Its important to note that these exhausts are all hand made, and despite being of outstanding quality, from time to time, as with any product, things like this happen - however its the first one we've encountered on our new Afterburner Vortexs', depite massive sales to date.

I hope this brings to this a satisfatory conclusion.

regards

Neil
www.scoobyworld.co.uk
Old 11 April 2004, 03:57 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx bill
as i said before they took mine back an rebent the pipe it now fits gr8 just ask them im sure they will do it for u
cheers paul
whats the point of having it if it needs to be rebent? will get less power out of it.
Old 11 April 2004, 03:59 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NeilT
All - we have already offered to have the exhaust collected and returned to the manufacturer, inspected and modified if required.

The exhausts are covered by a 'no quibble' 25 yr warranty against manufacturing / material defects.

Its important to note that these exhausts are all hand made, and despite being of outstanding quality, from time to time, as with any product, things like this happen - however its the first one we've encountered on our new Afterburner Vortexs', depite massive sales to date.

I hope this brings to this a satisfatory conclusion.

regards

Neil
www.scoobyworld.co.uk
also you have an email why it cannot be sent back to you. send me another and collect this one, then we will see if its an on going problem with fitment.
Old 11 April 2004, 05:37 PM
NeilT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by explore
whats the point of having it if it needs to be rebent? will get less power out of it.
Incorrect, as WRX Bill has one of the early V1 'straight exit' Afterburner silencers, which is a very different beast to the new Afterburner Vortexs'.

There is no ongoing problem with any of the products in our exhaust range. I will respond to your email when we reopen on Tuesday.

Neil

Last edited by NeilT; 11 April 2004 at 06:02 PM.
Old 28 April 2004, 09:02 PM
explore
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by P20SPD
I personally think you should have waited until the problem was rectified by the supplier, and then posting your thoughts for everyone to check.

These things can not be compared to custom items, which are made with the car in the workshop. For mass market stuff, a car is used initially for the prototype exhaust, and then a "jig" is made from that exhaust to form the basis of all future exhausts.

Over time the jigs can slip a little, and this may be the case here. It shouldnt be a major a problem, and should be easily rectifiable. H&S dont offer long gaurantees on their products for nothing.

steven
hey the second one was damaged and the one i have now isnt the best workman ship lol, will never buy from them again

Quick Reply: warning afterburner vortex