Origin B2 Laser false alarm fix

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2004, 11:11 PM
Dox
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Origin B2 Laser false alarm fix

Apologies if this is old news...

Just before Xmas I posted to say that Origin had acknowledged that there were known problems with the B2 in some scoobs (and TVR's) which was down to noisy 12v.

These show themselves as Laser false alarms under various bizzare circumstances. Mine was during, ahem, "spirited" acceleration. Although, after the 30k service and a new panel filter, it seemed to happen even more often, for example accelerating to maintain speed on an incline...

Origin said they had a fix under test and would release modified parts when they were ready. I mailed them last week to see if there was any sign of the fix. They said "The fix to the laser problem has been worked out. and the solution is a ferrit colloar around the power lead" and "Obviously we are designing our own new lasers incorporating these."

Now, I couldn't find a "ferrit colloar", despite being from the North, I don't own a ferrit (with or without a colloar) so I substituted a ferrite collar from Maplins.

First off, I tried a neat N95AB which is one of the little plastic coated ones that split open on a hinge. This, once it had the power lead wrapped around it twice, stopped the false alarms until I got very "spirited" with the throttle. I tried it around the laser detector lead ( if Origin are indeed designing new lasers with it incorporated) and it did nothing at all.

Without removing the N95AB from the laser, I stuck the power lead through a much bigger solid N88AB (without bothering to remove the little one from the laser) and try as I might, I couldn't get it to false alarm.

I haven't tried taking the little one off (as I can't be bothered). A good run today of 130 miles produced no false alarms, which leaves me, like loads of other owners wondering if the warning will go off if it actually detects a real laser

For completeness, the N88AB showed up on the till receipt as Ferrite HEM3011 (£0.99) and the N95AB as Ferrite HEM3018 (£1.99). It's possible that there's a neater plastic coated one that's a little larger that the 95, but as the guy behind the counter had lost interest by then I took the little one and the 'big' one and paid me £2.98

Hope any other origin owners with similar false alarm problems find this of use...

Dox

Last edited by Dox; 06 April 2004 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06 April 2004, 11:24 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Most 12v PSUs have them (black lump before the jack).

"accelerating to maintain speed"
Old 06 April 2004, 11:57 PM
MDBinaWagon
Scooby Regular

Hmm, could be a fix to the problem I've just posted in Lights and Electrical giving Diffuser alerts when using wipers .
Ta,
Martin.
Old 01 August 2004, 04:53 PM
BAH
Scooby Regular

I spoke to origin about this and they sent me the cores out and so far havnt had a false alarm....

Still problems with the cradle though.