Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body Shop Repairs - Where to go from here?

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2004, 01:14 PM
cinders
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Body Shop Repairs - Where to go from here?

The story gets worse....

Not only did the body shop fit MY98 parts (after my insurance told them to fit MY00 parts - front end smash) but the colour match is crap (it's a red car), they only sprayed the bonnet and not the intercooler duct and 2 side vents - so they're a slighly different red Grrrrr!.... A few extra dents and scratches also appeared on the car as well....

Anyway, I took the car back and saw the manager, he has booked the car in next week to have the MY00 Bumper, Grill & Indicators fitted (their mistake he admits) - as for the intercooler vent and side vents they won't spray them because they're not contracted to as the parts weren't damaged - even though the replaced the whole bloody bonnet and sprayed it - they wouldn't spray those bits - if I want them doing it's £100 for paint and labour.... As for the dens and scratches, he denied it, said they were already there etc....

I also just got my repair bill from the body shop (went through insurance)
They've listed all the parts they've replaced, but over charged and added extra items!...

Firstly, I purchased the fog lamps, headlamps myself so I could drive the car around at night (they were broken in crash) - my insurance sent me a cheque for this. Anyway, they body shop have charged my insurance for these items...

Secondly, What the hell is a Front Pan (part no. 53060) and a headlamp pan (part no. 53020)

I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm going to let them take the car next week and fit the MY00 Bumper, Grille & Indicators and pay the £100 to get the vents matched up....

Then what do I do? I was thinking of taking the car to another body shop (after I got my bumper done) and asking them to check the repairs and get a quote from them to fix the scratches dents etc, then bascially take either my insurance company or JenningsFord (bodyshop) to small claims court to recover the costs (including the £100 for spraying the vents...)

I've got pics of the car when I bought it in mint condition to back me up. I'm also going to drop Jennings in it with the insurance company when I show them they've over-billed and possible added parts to the list they've not replaced (headlamp pan, front pan, fogs, headlamps etc...)

I've also logged a complaint with my insurance company (Tesco)

So any advice or suggestions is appreciated!.....

Thanks,
Matt.

(with multicoloured red subaru with scratches and dents)
Old 05 April 2004, 01:20 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

that's harsh man!

I was reading through your post until i got to themagic word: JenningsFord

they are a nightmare, I have many a storey from personal and my dads fleet vehicle experiences. I personally will never go there again and will not even give Jennings Subaru a chance as they are under the same Jennings umberella. Terrible level of service and quality. Cowboys in my opinion.

Take them to court, it's about time that they were

sorry about the rant, they just really get my back up

James
Old 05 April 2004, 01:25 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

Just remembered the story of my brothers Fiesta and jennings ford body shop.

car was involved in front end and had lights and wing replaced. My dad went to pick the car up, started it up and when he depressed the throttle, there was nothing, it didn't rev.

he went and got the manager who turned up with 3 of the mechanics who popped the bonnet and stood scratching their heads. It was my dad who noticed that the air inlet pipe was flat. they put the car in the oven to bake the paint with the engine running, as the plastic pipe heated up and the engine kept on sucking air, it sucked the walls of the pipe in!

also since then, the new wing vibrates and resonates everytime you let the engine brake!

muppets

James
Old 05 April 2004, 07:56 PM
c7blue
Scooby Regular

hey cinders, i work at a bodyshop and what you describe with the vents and cooler scoop (in my opinion) should be sorted out by jennings, BUT paid for by the insurance company. you pay your policy calculated on the cost of having your car repaired to manufacturer spec, this doesn't mean you can fleece the insurance to get all ur chips painted but does mean that the bloody paint should match!
if it doesn't the first port of call is the bodyshop, if they won't do it, it might mean that the insurance co wouldn't pay for it. if this is the case then you can complain to the insurance company. you should be able to sort this out without any additional cost to yourself but can take forever with an unsympathetic bodyshop!
the rest is down to yourself, the ins co and the bodyshop, however i would ask to see if the bodyshop did a condition check sheet while the car was in, easily forged i know but a possibility??

sorry for going on but one last point to mention.. if anyone else is in a similiar position please remember that it is your choice where you have your car repaired, not the insurance companies, they may offer you courtesy cars or free collection and delivery or maybe just tell untruths to get your car repaired within their network but it all boils down to where you want your car repaired.
Old 05 April 2004, 09:00 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Dont deal with the bodyshop - tell your insurance you are not happy and explain why.
As for them not painting the bonnet vents to match the fresh paint on the bonnet tell them that you want the bonnet respraying to match the original colour as they have not matched the colour properly! They should have estimated the price of the blend on the vents when they priced the job they are not new parts but it is part of the job. I used to work in a bodyshop and anything like that was just part of the job - whats the point in trying to save time by not throwing some paint on a couple of vents and letting the car go out looking crap and not as it was pre-accident?
As for the pan bits they could be a front panel and headlight panel probably changed if the car had a front end.

Good luck
Old 06 April 2004, 10:26 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to say it again but with the trouble they were giving you before they even got the car you shouldn't have ever taken it there

There is no way you should have to pay them £100 to match the paint I would not even deal with them and shop them to the insurance company! I would also ask to see the sheet with the dents/scratches on it too from when they checked it in but you should have a copy of that already.

Paul
Old 06 April 2004, 11:22 AM
cinders
Scooby Regular

It's all a pain in the ****, but I'm not going to let this go!.... I'm not going to pay them £100 to match the vents up - hell the bonnet doesn't match the rest of the car!.... Plus if I leave it that way it's easily visable that the paint on the bonnet doesn't match the original colour on the vents.... (pictures will be taken!)

I'm going to take the car back next week to let them fit the MY00 Bumper & Grill - I want to get that out of the way first before I start making any more complaints.

After they've done that I'm going to complain to the Insurance company and let them take it from there!....

As for inspection sheet - they never did one, they simply took the car from me...

and when I picked it up, I never signed anything to say I was happy with the work.

So if I complain to the insurance company, what do I do if the insurance company start messing me about?!.... (it's Tesco by the way) - Can I get an assesor out to look at the car?... Can I sue the insurance company for loss of value to the car through small claims.... Can I sue the Bodyshop for the scratches and dents on the car they did?....
Old 06 April 2004, 02:49 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

The check sheet is to cover the body shop, so if they did not do one then really they have left them self liable for the sake of trying to save time. Personally I would deal with the insurance over this and get them to chase the bodyshop - just think how much business Tesco will send their way and if Tesco have got disatisfied customers there are plenty of other bodyshops out their who will take on this bodyshops business from Tesco and the bodyshop wont want that.
Old 06 April 2004, 04:25 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by cinders
As for inspection sheet - they never did one, they simply took the car from me...

and when I picked it up, I never signed anything to say I was happy with the work.
Sounds very unprofessional to me just like everything else you have written about these tossers

I'd take that up with them and the insurance too!
Old 06 April 2004, 07:21 PM
c7blue
Scooby Regular

shout and scream at the insurance company long and hard enough and more often than not they will sort it out to shut you up. just remember to get names, dates, and times of calls and if they promise to ring you back and don't then you can shout at them for that too!!