Sponsored by:

Nearly lost (rolled) scoob today

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2004, 11:53 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Nearly lost (rolled) scoob today

Comeing home today on a 60 mph road , doing about 60 , ( I Know the road very well ) there was a car stopped on the other side , as I got towards the car 2 cars were on the side off parked car , I slowed down when I saw the parked car on the clearway >> saw the 2 cars driving towards me stop behind the parked car , so I opened up to 60 >> then first car pulled out , He kept close to parked car (no prob) 2nd one WoW he could not off even looked , He just followed first car , But right over to my side off the road , If I had just braked he probely would have drove in to me , >> So I took to the grass verge 60mph ?? not nice , steering all over took some holding , joys of motoring, TO ADD 2nd car looked like £50 scrapper ??
Old 05 April 2004, 07:45 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad to hear your avoidance tactics paid off. No damage to your car???
Old 05 April 2004, 09:35 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Alan, your lucky if you went on the grass verge. That is how i wrote mine off, except speed was a tad higher!
Old 05 April 2004, 11:10 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nasty shock I can imagine. Glad you were sharp enough to miss him.

Les
Old 05 April 2004, 01:46 PM
lmsbman
Scooby Regular

Feel for you mate. I had a similarish experience last year.

I was driving a marked police Volvo T5 to a serious accident on blues & two's. The road I was travelling on was very straight and wide with almost a mile of visibility. There were two cars approx 500m ahead travelling at about 55mph. The second car was not catching the first, there were no junctions and no oncoming traffic.

I was doing about 120mph. I weighed up all the hazards (or so I thought) and decided that I could overtake both cars without the need to slow down. When I was about 75 metres behind the second car, the first car see's me and brakes - not harshly. Unfortunately, the second car thinks what is this moron doing and pulls out to overtake, by which time I'm about 25 metres behind.

How the **** I missed her I'll never know, but somehow I managed to steer around to the right and put the offside wheels on a grass verge that was about 18" higher than the road. Trouble is, I then hit a drainage channel that had been cut into the bank. Somehow I managed to keep control and bring the car to a stop. Well I can tell you that the seat had a few extra button holes after that, if you know what I mean!

It taught me a valuable lesson. No matter how much training I've had, never assume anything. I thought it was safe to travel at that speed but I was proved wrong.
Old 05 April 2004, 04:46 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

No damage to the car , just my nerves ?? Only nearside wheels went on grass , the on coming car missed me by about 1ft >> isshhh I did not even stop its pointless talking to complete blind fools , Alan.
Old 05 April 2004, 05:22 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Never ceases to amaze me how many people don't look in their mirror when an emergency vehicle is flying along behind them. You pull over and you are almost willing them to get out the way. Sounds like a very close shave, glad you were OK Imbsman. Thats the worrying thing you can drive as defensively as you like but it only takes one lazy unaware person to kill you.

Occasionaly a similar thing has happened to me. And you think what is the point of getting out and telling these people that they have almost killed you as they don't even realise in the first place.

A taxi driver cut a corner severly once in front of me approx speed 50 in a 30 and almost hit me coming the other way. I am aware that lazy fu*kwits tend to do this on this bend in town. Anyway I followed him. Stopped him and gave him a piece of my mind. He genuinely didn't realise what he had done!
I just grit my teeth and shake my head and carry on now some prat trys to kill me.

Steve
Old 05 April 2004, 06:10 PM
bonkers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Whitehorn
Never ceases to amaze me how many people don't look in their mirror when an emergency vehicle is flying along behind them. You pull over and you are almost willing them to get out the way.
One of the things I like about driving in the States - 99% of the drivers, on hearing a siren get over to the side of the road and slow / stop as they're supposed to. (It's the one part of the driving test they all remember)

Most of 'em can't corner worth a damn and all to many can't merge - one car from your lane, one car from the other lane... not exactly rocket science - but they have a healthy respect for emergency vehicles.
Old 05 April 2004, 08:40 PM
korky
Scooby Regular

Alan,

Glad you survived. You should have been wearing that helmet!

You'll need to get your tracking checked....and your underpants.

Cheers,

Korky

Last edited by korky; 05 April 2004 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Oops - spelling!
Old 05 April 2004, 09:03 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

LoL ?? Hi Korky Ive got a helmet now (took some finding) Yep do need to get tracking re done !! underpants fine >>>>>>> NOW >> LoL , cheers Alan.
Old 05 April 2004, 10:20 PM
Dazza's-STi
Scooby Regular

AWD m8 swat its 4.

go easy...
Old 06 April 2004, 12:07 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

see you only managed up to 60 is that gearbox still wrecked glad your car is ok if you trashed it where would you get one the same colour
Old 06 April 2004, 07:39 AM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Cheers Steve , All Ill say about gearbox is its working ??? yes 60 mph , thats the speed limt , would not say I was doing 100 + till I saw parked car would I ???? Any way only got 376 Bhp LoL, so I do drive steady away >>> honest !!!!!! cheers Alan.
Old 06 April 2004, 08:40 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

just to add I could allways buy a orange one and spray it !!!!!! (had to be very very very carefull about coulor to over spray ) LoL .
Old 07 April 2004, 08:55 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

I ment colour,